Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Bright sunshine here now.  Only the very tops of the hills still white. Don't think I'll get to have a stomp in it in my wellies later. I'm happy enough though to see snow for the second time this winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
3 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Annnnnnnnnd,the irish sea kills any  snow hopes yet again, snow in NI and snow in west yorkshire.

I wasn't expecting anything here anyway , perhaps higher up got a dusting.

I feel the pain. Lived near Darwen for 6 years from 2006 - 2014 at just under 800ft. Sometimes amazing, but often not. 

If you walked to the top of our hill, you could see Winter Hill to the west, and to the east over Edgworth towards Holcombe Hill. I remember times stood on the hill that we would have sleet falling and little or nothing settling on Winter Hill to our west, but look east, and you could see the snow line down Holcombe Hill. The difference that a few miles inland can make to snow is incredible.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Coming down thick an fast here now..... 

Removing wallpaper is a real pain in the a@#!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Selliso said:

I feel the pain. Lived near Darwen for 6 years from 2006 - 2014 at just under 800ft. Sometimes amazing, but often not. 

If you walked to the top of our hill, you could see Winter Hill to the west, and to the east over Edgworth towards Holcombe Hill. I remember times stood on the hill that we would have sleet falling and little or nothing settling on Winter Hill to our west, but look east, and you could see the snow line down Holcombe Hill. The difference that a few miles inland can make to snow is incredible.

TBF i am situated in pretty much the far east of our region , easterly is always best for my area, as demonstrated in late Feb 2018 when we saw drifts over a foot round these parts (and more than that in higher hills).

Best wind directions for Oldham/Rochdale etc is

NE

E

WNW 

The problem with WNW is the Irish sea generally moderates the air to such an extent that you need uppers of -8 or lower ,i think, maybe Kevin will know better, but the best NW/WNW winter month was Jan 1984,certainly in the last thirty or so years.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Only had a light dusting on favoured surfaces which was gone within an hour! But at least it's not been completely snowless. Hopefully we get something more substantial before Winter & Spring is out.

• Like 1

Posted

A no snow show here overnight. Some patchy sleet slush on grass only. Snowline roughly 300 metres. The main precipitation hit Dumfries and Galloway hence evaporative cooling couldn't take full hold. A snowless January now in the offing. Hope Feb and March can make up for a very poor January 

Posted
4 hours ago, trickydicky said:

Had a half hour burst of heavy, none settling, wet snow. The type with the massive flakes. Suns coming out now so presuming that's winter for this year.

In terms of snow prospects 1 Feb marks half way point. It's only after mid April can really start to wind down chance of snow. March in Cumbria near even likelihood of snow as December.

Posted
9 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

In terms of snow prospects 1 Feb marks half way point. It's only after mid April can really start to wind down chance of snow. March in Cumbria near even likelihood of snow as December.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
4 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

15802065925808313613718056161185.jpg

As good as its going to get today thaw beginning to set in now.

Well you were being too negative this time obviously about the North Sea effect, that's better then nothing. You can stop moaning now, for a while anyway.

Posted
33 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

My Dad always said growing up March was the best month for snow. He was exaggerating a tad but I suppose you’d say from now on is prime time for snow. We’ll see I suppose. Today’s been one of those damp, cold horrible days with a wet covering above 1000-1500ft. My location does poorly in these set ups as we are in the lull between the Lake District fells and the showers pepping up again over the Pennines so we don’t get the intensity to get it settling even briefly. Even if we’d had some slush this morning it’d have been largely pointless. It’d be nice to see some dry snow linger for a day or 2 at some point before Easter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

TBF i am situated in pretty much the far east of our region , easterly is always best for my area, as demonstrated in late Feb 2018 when we saw drifts over a foot round these parts (and more than that in higher hills).

Best wind directions for Oldham/Rochdale etc is

NE

E

WNW 

The problem with WNW is the Irish sea generally moderates the air to such an extent that you need uppers of -8 or lower ,i think, maybe Kevin will know better, but the best NW/WNW winter month was Jan 1984,certainly in the last thirty or so years.

Looks pretty heavy ppn over Oldham now - hopefully some evaporative cooling for you!

Posted

Back from work...rain here now but did manage a bit of falling snow approx. 9am this morning...soon turned slushy.

• Like 1

Posted

Soaked through nice to see a bit of snow falling though today 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Frequent rain showers all day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Quite surprised to see theres no snow on the fells.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Easterly on the GFS 12z Q Mod Thread meltdown 

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

The odd gusty wind here - had a few sleety showers during the day. 

Posted
18 hours ago, snowray said:

Well you were being too negative this time obviously about the North Sea effect, that's better then nothing. You can stop moaning now, for a while anyway.

Lost me there Ray

nothing to do with the North sea, and the snow cover lasted about an hour.

so, still a disgusting attempt at a winter, again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Lost me there Ray

nothing to do with the North sea, and the snow cover lasted about an hour.

so, still a disgusting attempt at a winter, again.

Mmmm, oh yh see what you mean, I meant the Irish sea that you go on about, sorry about that I got the north sea on the brain right now, I keep dreaming of beefy snow showers and bands of snow moving in from the east on a bitter easterly, channel lows and battlegrounds....and then I wake up and it's the same old rubbish 00z runs all over again!. 

I know its awful, not seen any snow around here in two winters now, nothing, zilch. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 27 January 2020 at 16:54, Geordiesnow said:

I'm not so sure, looks like a shift further north too me on this GFS runs. Uppers get slightly colder around midnight with slacker winds so we see where the PPN is by then. 

Wait! You only got 5 air frosts and 3 days of snow in winter 2009/10??? You must be joking right?

• Like 1