Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

App temp reading 9°, l don't know if it reached double figures earlier as I've been in work .  Very pleasant walk home in the bright sunshine, however it did feel quite chilly. I agree the weather for a while has been quite non descript, and we are missing a good flurry of snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

A little rain. Nothing much 

• Like 4

Posted

Another drab late December dark, went dark early around 4pm, with low cloud and drizzle, mild again, temps up to 10 degrees. A clearance expected in next few hours and marked drop in temp, frost expected by dawn which will be nice, and tomorrow promises some welcome sunshine to end 2019. Had hoped for a cold clear starry night tomorrow, but it looks like some high level cloud will move in before midnight. Still it is looking a promising evening from a dry front - no weather to spoil anything.

Outlook for opening days 2020 very uninspiring - all too often the opening to the New Year brings very dull overcast rather non-descript days. Days when you just want to fast forward to April!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Dense fog here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Well, if we can’t end the year with ice and snow then today’s sunshine and springlike conditions are a decent consolation and certainly a welcome improvement over the drab crap of the last few days.

a bit coolish out of the sun but good for being outside and a few hours work means that all of the front of the house has had a good power wash.

• Like 5

Posted

Springlike?!! Very icy here with a low of -2 and a high of 3 so a cold winter day with frost persisting in places. Nice and sunny but a day for wrapping up!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
51 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

Springlike?!! Very icy here with a low of -2 and a high of 3 so a cold winter day with frost persisting in places. Nice and sunny but a day for wrapping up!

Agree with a frosty start but it got to 8c here and felt decent in the sun.

it’s gone cold again now though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Hi Everyone. Back from Thailand to a cold, dull, and damp England with no sign of any wintry weather. I'm rather be in sunny, hot Thailand than this weather. I did rode a elephant and even ate a odd crocodile!, it was fun!

I'm gonna stay up tonight to see fireworks and drink Baileys!! :drunk:

Have a nice New Year everyone!! I'm hoping in a few weeks we get some snow!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Well guys it looks poor/very poor going forward for any cold with longevity. Apart from a short colder snap late this week/weekend the mean average going forward is above normal right up to mid January. There is scatter though so cannot completely discount a different outcome but not likely. I guess we can hope for a 2018 scenario with a cold snowy February & March which would suit me fine. I'll take snow whenever it arrives. Rain returns by the looks of the precipitation chart as well. We need a long dry spell as the ground is still sodden. Anyway I wish you all a happy new year. All the best. Alan.

1190636354_gfs-oldham-gb-535n-2w(1).thumb.jpeg.ee3e9239195da3a0c0f97e592e0e1b77.jpeg

2093437308_gfs-oldham-gb-535n-2w(2).thumb.jpeg.95e887f02a91c87115921019c8571c77.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well guys it looks poor/very poor going forward for any cold with longevity. Apart from a short colder snap late this week/weekend the mean average going forward is above normal right up to mid January. There is scatter though so cannot completely discount a different outcome but not likely. I guess we can hope for a 2018 scenario with a cold snowy February & March which would suit me fine. I'll take snow whenever it arrives. Rain returns by the looks of the precipitation chart as well. We need a long dry spell as the ground is still sodden. Anyway I wish you all a happy new year. All the best. Alan.

1190636354_gfs-oldham-gb-535n-2w(1).thumb.jpeg.ee3e9239195da3a0c0f97e592e0e1b77.jpeg

2093437308_gfs-oldham-gb-535n-2w(2).thumb.jpeg.95e887f02a91c87115921019c8571c77.jpeg

Yes, 2018's 'Beast from the east '  can put another appearance in for me too. Happy new year.

• Like 2

Posted

A pictorial representation of what it's like scouring the models for any signs of 'winter' related weather at the moment....

54609ba8563a878629db2c830cf9d36e.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Happy New Year everyone xxx 

• Like 9

Posted

Rain here too

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,blizzards and storms

Don’t post very often - from snow starved NW like us all....but in Tromso this weekend for the polar half marathon and had near foot of snow overnight and it’s still coming down. Thought would post a pic just to remind us all of what this white stuff looks like. I am very lucky as looking at the charts this may be the only snow I see for the foreseeable!

578B97E7-BA51-4D24-8CBC-3CE3D3F4E37D.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Hi all. Not posted on here for a while. Today has been dull overcast max temp 9°. Was partly clear on the way home with a 3/4 moon and quite windy but felt quite mild out of the wind.

It's supposed to be exceptionally mild tommorow, my weather app is forecasting temperatures to reach 13° by late afternoon, along with the wind and rain that you'd expect with such a mild temperature at this time of year. Can't remember the last time we've had such a mild temperature in January.

• Like 2

Posted

Current temp reading 5° at the moment, a really pretty sunrise earlier, the clouds were illuminated in a pink glow with a pale blue background.  Rain predicted for later.  I wonder what temps parts of our region will reach today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Well it’s currently 12/13°C according to the BBC Weather app but it feels quite a lot colder than that in the wind. Quite a significant wind chill and cold feel to the wind despite the wind coming from a mild SW Direction. My ears got a bit chilled walking home. It was also overcast as well.

I remember back in November we had days where it was only around 6° but with no wind and it didn’t feel that cold tbh. There hasn’t been much wind lately though so maybe I’ve just got used to the lack of wind or maybe I’ve just got used to having milder winters in general. 

If we get a cold snap then it’s going to feel bitter in comparison to all of this “mild weather”.

A slightly colder but hopefully brighter day tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well it’s currently 12/13°C according to the BBC Weather app but it feels quite a lot colder than that in the wind. Quite a significant wind chill and cold feel to the wind despite the wind coming from a mild SW Direction. My ears got a bit chilled walking home. It was also overcast as well.

I remember back in November we had days where it was only around 6° but with no wind and it didn’t feel that cold tbh. There hasn’t been much wind lately though so maybe I’ve just got used to the lack of wind or maybe I’ve just got used to having milder winters in general. 

If we get a cold snap then it’s going to feel bitter in comparison to all of this “mild weather”.

A slightly colder but hopefully brighter day tomorrow.

Yes despite the very mild maxima, it didn't feel especially mild today, thanks to the dank overcast conditions and wind. Next 2-3 days should deliver some welcome sunshine and a much fresher feel with temperatures back closer to the Jan normal, indeed might even scrape a frost overnight Thursday/ Friday morning!

Posted

Back from a wonderful trip to see my brother in Costa Rica ??.... 

was hoping after three weeks away for something more wintery on our return...maybe late January into February might prevail with something colder with something drier sunnier and more seasonal...  

hopefully a big pattern change ahead and our Aussie friends can get relief from the fires too... 

Edited by WillinGlossop