Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Greetings to everyone. 

Well, a disappointing summer to say the least. Rainfall this summer has been horrendous. 

I see some tabloids  are already banging the drum that this winter is going to be the coldest in decades. Once bitten, twice shy. I’ll believe it when I see it. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Always find most of September a bit "boring" weatherwise. Whilst it's meteorological Autumn it still feels a bit like Summer. But most years after the Equinox it does start to feel more like Autumn. Especially given we lose roughly an hour's daylight from now until then. A few days after the nights become longer than the day's. That's when I notice the sun getting noticeably weaker too. I don't tan from the end of September until about early April. For me a UV of 4 upwards causes me sunburn.  

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Nice sunny day today. ☀️ Sat out in the garden for a bit, did a bit of hedge trimming and went for a short walk.

Not too hot and not too cold.

Shame about tomorrow's forecast though.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
On 12/09/2019 at 23:37, Frost HoIIow said:

Always find most of September a bit "boring" weatherwise. Whilst it's meteorological Autumn it still feels a bit like Summer. But most years after the Equinox it does start to feel more like Autumn. Especially given we lose roughly an hour's daylight from now until then. A few days after the nights become longer than the day's. That's when I notice the sun getting noticeably weaker too. I don't tan from the end of September until about early April. For me a UV of 4 upwards causes me sunburn.  

Yes I've expressed my feelings about September, whilst being the most pleasant of all months, it is all the most 'dull' weatherwise - its not until the latter part of the month, there is a sense of autumn setting in properly. The upcoming few days once again reinforcing my view of September being a very 'trying' month for weather enthusiasts, but great for outdoor enthusiasts..

• Like 3

Posted

A beautiful evening following a beautiful day. According to my tablet temperature app it peaked at 17°.  Hardly a breeze earlier, the clouds looked almost static, washing on the line not doing much wafting either. I agree that September weather is quite unremarkable, but today has been absolutely lovely.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
52 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

A beautiful evening following a beautiful day. According to my tablet temperature app it peaked at 17°.  Hardly a breeze earlier, the clouds looked almost static, washing on the line not doing much wafting either. I agree that September weather is quite unremarkable, but today has been absolutely lovely.

Indeed

Been a beautiful day and looks good for the rest of the week although quite cool at night with a ground frost possible,all this taking us into silly season which having a quick look in the MOD Thread has already begun

Oh Dear..

C.S

• Like 3

Posted

Might be waving summer off into the sunset by the end of tomorrow, looking at the forecast into next week.  I'm not saying we won't get a nice sunny day into Autumn/Winter but I can't see it feeling as warm as tomorrow will.  Nice warm sunshine from almost the get-go.

• Like 2

Posted
22 hours ago, dodge said:

Might be waving summer off into the sunset by the end of tomorrow, looking at the forecast into next week.  I'm not saying we won't get a nice sunny day into Autumn/Winter but I can't see it feeling as warm as tomorrow will.  Nice warm sunshine from almost the get-go.

Yes certainly looking different tomorrow going off the Met Office automated forecast. But we can't realistically expect today's conditions to be repeated now as we are drastically losing day length & sun strength. Could be looking at April now before we get temps again into the 20s.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes certainly looking different tomorrow going off the Met Office automated forecast. But we can't realistically expect today's conditions to be repeated now as we are drastically losing day length & sun strength. Could be looking at April now before we get temps again into the 20s.

tomorrow looks decent, may make 20 degrees, much warmer start too, 10 degrees warmer likely

Posted
56 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

tomorrow looks decent, may make 20 degrees, much warmer start too, 10 degrees warmer likely

Not here unless you like to get soaked. Looking like heavy (possibly thundery) showers. Yellow warning from Met Office.

Posted

25c at footy (8-0)....lovely afternoon...topped up tan before tomorrow & next weeks rainfest... anyhows Katsu curry and vino... mmmm....  

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Thunder and lightning here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Hi Guys. Back from the Summer's hibernation. I hope this autumn will be a wild and turbolent one then a cold, snowy Winter.

Thoughts on Summer: It is a bit crap this year.

Posted
On 22 September 2019 at 06:26, Rush2112 said:

I thought I heard some thunder about 6am, it was dry outside at the time, now there's heavy rainfall. Stood at the back door for a little while, it still feels quite mild.

I woke up to torrential rain on Saturday night and thought I could hear a rumble of thunder too.

• Like 1

Posted

Was a lovely day on Saturday, wall-to-wall sun and temp reached low 20's. Perfect weather in my opinion. ☀️ Was sunbathing in garden in t-shirt and shorts, might be the last time this year I'm able to do that. Also I've noticed the sun no longer feels hot anymore, it has more of a gentle warmth to instead which is nice in a way as I don't like very strong sunshine.

As others have said, September is a very benign month with not much going on, same for October as well. No real cold but no real heat either. Probably the two most boring months of the year weather wise. But a nice time to reflect on the summer before we start thinking about winter and the inevitable countdown to Christmas begins (groan).

Posted

The wind has really picked up in the past hour, gusts audible, my cat flap having a rattle. Tablet app temp currently reading 13°.  Talking of countdowns, clocks go back in 35 days.  93 sleeps till Christmas.

Posted
17 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Tablet weather app temperature at the moment is 13°. Damp outside but not currently raining. Feels milder than the 13° temp, not much of a wind.

Yes I'm still wearing shorts. Too mild & muggy at the moment for jeans or trousers - I just end up sweating a bit. Yet I start to get funny looks wearing shorts at this time of year. Seen someone today wearing a wooly hat! And quite a few with warm Winter coats on. Not sure why it's hardly single figure temps all day. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes, still warm enough for shorts, tablet temp app peaked at 16° yesterday, however it did feel warmer than that.  This morning its reading 14°, with steady rainfall at the moment. So it's a hood up, head down walk to work in a few mins.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
7 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes I'm still wearing shorts. Too mild & muggy at the moment for jeans or trousers - I just end up sweating a bit. Yet I start to get funny looks wearing shorts at this time of year. Seen someone today wearing a wooly hat! And quite a few with warm Winter coats on. Not sure why it's hardly single figure temps all day. 

Never ceases to amaze me how people can wear duvet jackets when I'm wondering about in a T shirt, especially when out for a walk! 

Fair enough have something in your back pack in case of an emergency, but often seems to be a case of "I'm in the Lake District, so it must be cold and I need to show off that I can afford a Berghaus/ Rab/ whatever top of the range jacket, even though I've never been higher than Orrest Head"... 

I think we're breeding people who without clothing and central heating would be poikilothermic! 

• Like 2

Posted

Radar playing the Joker card today, it almost feels like we're on the southern flank of the heaviest rain and it could shift away out of the region but it just keeps feeding and growing and now it's powering up to the west as well.  Set in now for a thoroughly wet and miserable looking Sunday.  Good day for indoor tasks whilst following the sport.

Edited by dodge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

What a miserable day, its gonna rain all day. Yesterday the river nearby is already swollen up. Today Imagine it will burst its banks and flood the road today. The school playground behind my house is a one big puddle right now!

• Like 1