Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

What a difference 5 days makes as i've just come back from the Isle of Man and it's been great seaside weather from Weds-Fri and wasn't expecting this rain to have been arriving until at least Sunday, hiking to Port Cornaa on Saturday and the rain just got heavier and heavier as the day progressed and it was relentless. Yesterday it was pretty much impossible to spend just a few minutes out on Douglas Promenade without getting soaked head to foot along with the chilly autumnal-like winds coming in off the coast.

Arrived back into Manchester this morning to find the usual routes back home are flooded out especially along the new A555 bypass, when will these developers learn that if you build concrete over land that has been used as natural run-off from the Pennines for a few million years that it's going to have negative consequences and it's only going to get worse once the new Woodford housing estate is fully complete.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Rochdale recorded 111.6mm for the 48hrs of the weekend, 133.6mm since midnight of 24th July.

I think Rostherne is about 76mm in that same period since midnight of 24th July

Whilst our region is wet compared to the SE those figures are more like something from the western side of Scotland. Crazy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

All very subdued on here tonight, considering we have some interesting potential tomorrow. Well it's a bittersweet thing at the moment I think with the amount of rain that has fallen.

Meteorologically interesting day tomorrow however with some thunderstorms, and tornadic possibility over our area. Probably the best chance of seeing a decent thunderstorm so far this year. 

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Whilst our region is wet compared to the SE those figures are more like something from the western side of Scotland. Crazy.

In mid winter!

• Like 1

Posted

Well, hopefully some thundery potential today.

Then again, i would not be suprised if we get none, what a wretched region we live in weatherwise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

viewing the situation from where I am, there are plenty of cumulus developing but they get to about 10,000 feet and collapse.. so there seems to be a cap. There's a huge veil of cloud .. I suspect then, unfortunately that we may just be on the wrong side of the parameters for storm development. The odd strike may be seen somewhere but there probably wont be storms in traditional sense of the word. Showers with the odd rumble of thunder is the best way to describe today I think.

I have to admit I was quite positive this morning but everything is so slow.. there is no strikes on the map south of us, so it's hard to imagine anything will come of today.

Posted
1 minute ago, SP1986 said:

viewing the situation from where I am, there are plenty of cumulus developing but they get to about 10,000 feet and collapse.. so there seems to be a cap. There's a huge veil of cloud .. I suspect then, unfortunately that we may just be on the wrong side of the parameters for storm development. The odd strike may be seen somewhere but there probably wont be storms in traditional sense of the word. Showers with the odd rumble of thunder is the best way to describe today I think.

I have to admit I was quite positive this morning but everything is so slow.. there is no strikes on the map south of us, so it's hard to imagine anything will come of today.

I have been watching a large cumulus cloud north west of me in the Warrington direction growing in width and height, it is now obscured with a veil of grey cloud. The potential is there.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Rush2112 said:

I have been watching a large cumulus cloud north west of me in the Warrington direction growing in width and height, it is now obscured with a veil of grey cloud. The potential is there.

absolutely there's potential, but the headline today maybe rain, as the low core skirts past us... probably around Manchester and west Yorkshire, this is where the heaviest rain will be - and the highest chance of any thundery activity. 

The rain itself is going to cause a few issues, especially where heat has allowed convection. I'd be looking at the environment agencies flood warning map rather than the lightning map

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, algernon said:

Early rumble of thunder here in orrell. 

I wonder if that was the huge cumulus I have been watching and its further north than I estimated, could be wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme.

Very possibly, it’s still building here. Cracks of blue sky surrounded by towers shooting up. 

Picture taken looking south west

image.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Three separate storm cells have developed in past 30 mins in a line from Rochdale across to the Irish Sea. Bands of showers to the South of the region are also intensifying as well.

Posted

Seeing a few convective showers here this early afternoon, almost out of nowhere comes brief bursts of rain with cloud bases getting darker.

Posted

As usual storms miss me and fire up in the sea instead...

As I say that we get some overhead firing up hopefully get something better later though

Edited by SnowThunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Distant thunder here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Very frequent aswell.

Posted

Looking south

20190730_144416.jpg

Posted

Constant thunder

Posted

No lightning though

Posted
2 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

No lightning though

You probably too far away too see I would imagine, the lightning strikes are well out into the Irish Sea, also the lightning could be CC so harder too see perhaps from a distance in day light? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards-Winter-Storms-Raging Seas-Thunderstorms

Just North of Blackpool Cleveleys- Rossall area.

2 lightning flashes and thunder.Plenty of rumbles around the area in the last half hour.

Raining,update if things deteriorate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Thunder here, people down south not happy that the North getting more thunder and lightening lately, the south has done much better for snow in winter the last 2 though, its a complete reversal of what usually happens!