Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

To think what 2 inches would be in snow, in winter we will desperately hoping as much as 2 inches of snow (not many mm's of rain) falls to rescue a bad winter late Feb / Early March no doubt.

I'm tentatively going for a 2009/2010 winter.

Everything just looks stacked more favourably at this point. Though we'll know closer to the time with regards to teleconnections obviously.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I'm tentatively going for a 2009/2010 winter.

Everything just looks stacked more favourably at this point. Though we'll know closer to the time with regards to teleconnections obviously.

I am - provided 2 things - E-QBO isn't too late downwelling, and we are significantly passed solar min, not right bang on it, would also like a warm PDO as well, also i am not falling for this 'blocking in Autumn is so brilliant for winter' either, yes i would like heights above 535 ish) over the pole in October but then with a wet November with a UK trough and a sharp scrussian high

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
13 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Rochdale town centre will be flooded out I'm sure. River Roch must be raging torrent.

Rochdale centre never used to flood but seems to be threatened with flooding pretty much every year now.

the flood siren has been sounded at Walsden at the top of the Calder Valley so no doubt those at Todmorden, HB and Mytholmroyd won’t be long behind it.

over the hill here in Bacup no flooding yet but still hammering it down.

• Like 1

Posted

The radar appears to give the impression all this moisture is moving in a SE/NW trajectory but still pulses are reinvigorating on it's eastern flank over the high parts of the Pens giving copious amounts of rainfall on the hills down the western side.

• Like 1

Posted

I have to say, give me this all day long, much more comfortable and interesting going for rainfall records than heat records.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I have to say, give me this all day long, much more comfortable and interesting going for rainfall records than heat records.

Yeah we’re never going to beat the south when it comes to heat but we can take them on with rain.

we’ve had thousands of years of practice when it comes to wet weather.

it sounds like it’s eased off a bit here but our little stream on the other side of the garden fence is pretty well full to the brim now.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Yeah we’re never going to beat the south when it comes to heat but we can take them on with rain.

we’ve had thousands of years of practice when it comes to wet weather.

it sounds like it’s eased off a bit here but our little stream on the other side of the garden fence is pretty well full to the brim now.

The telly keeps going off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Another torrential belt moving through, there does seem a back edge though so maybe drier in the next hour or so. Certainly been a soaker of a Summer but not as cool as 2012. Interesting from a meteorological viewpoint. Looks like more rain from Tuesday.... hopefully some more thundery activity to whet our appetite.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Another torrential belt moving through, there does seem a back edge though so maybe drier in the next hour or so. Certainly been a soaker of a Summer but not as cool as 2012. Interesting from a meteorological viewpoint. 

Was looking good in the rainfall contest this month - went for 42, going to be miles out now.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Was looking good in the rainfall contest this month - went for 42, going to be miles out now.

Yep, a 100+mm month

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Yep, a 100+mm month

cripes -  its ridiculous really because thats averaged out over the whole of England and Wales and was on about 20-30 until a few days ago so shows what a hiding individual areas have had.

• Like 1

Posted

The rain been so heavy now that if it was winter i could actually mistake it for lake effect snow during lamposting, there are so many droplets it is brightening the perspective under the reflection of the light.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

cripes -  its ridiculous really because thats averaged out over the whole of England and Wales and was on about 20-30 until a few days ago so shows what a hiding individual areas have had.

Storms the other night plus rain of the last few days, then there were other days where other areas coped it. Tuesday looks like it could bring torrential downpours to some. It all adds up.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Storms the other night plus rain of the last few days, then there were other days where other areas coped it. Tuesday looks like it could bring torrential downpours to some. It all adds up.

The models didn't see it coming, it was not long ago that Roger was talking about if the GFS verified to the end of month it would be no more than 60mm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

In years to come this will be something to be talked about from Kevin's archives. Insane rainfall.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

In years to come this will be something to be talked about from Kevin's archives. Insane rainfall.

June's rainfall was more impressive here. North of 3 inches in the space of a couple of days.

We've essentially played a high risk, high reward game this summer. Never too far away from the trough but also far enough away to allow heat bursts. 

It's essentially the same as a W -NAO in winter. At times it would be extremely snowy but also very mild at times.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Weather-history said:

Hmmm not sure about that. 

44mm for England and Wales up to 26th. Although we have had a drenching, you have to remember some areas have had little. 

I meant specifically for this area. But the average will be totting up on a national scale regardless.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Hmmm not sure about that. 

44mm for England and Wales up to 26th. Although we have had a drenching, you have to remember some areas have had little. 

Must be into the 70's by now though with power to add still.

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Must be into the 70's by now though with power to add still.

I would imagine so.

• Like 1

Posted

36mm has fallen here today with the rain still falling. That makes it 55mm from this event so far. 

96mm since the 15th

That translates to somewhere around 250mm of rainfall so far this summer. That beats even 2012 here to this point in summer.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

Quite a contrast as I've been staying in Wiltshire before heading down to Dorset and it's been dry and sunny down here.