Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
1 hour ago, SP1986 said:

In my experience that's usually what happens... It dies off.

But that wasn't always the case , for example during the 80's and 90's afternoon storms over the west midland would often make up here by evening , you would here the distant growls to the south as the light started to fade , then you would see the lightning, the storms would trundle all the way to the scottish border during the early hours   

I dont care what anyone says , something HAS changed , 

It really never happens like that anymore,  I did forecast myself that this was over hyped ,  as early as Friday , I knew it would be a huge disappointment for the NW ,   it nearly always is thesedays      

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Seems to be something developing to my S. Sky has gone darker with thickening cloud.

Posted

Looking back at some of my old weather diaries a selection storms that I mentioned., 

24th May 1992: Early morning thunderstorm. (Remember the thunder waking me up.)

28th May 1992: Thunderstorm in late evening. (that was a cracker)

1st June 1992: Thunderstorm in night

3rd June 1992: local thunderstorms in area

8th June 1992: late afternoon thunderstorms

9th June 1992: thunderstorm in morning, late afternoon thunderstorm with hail (caught out in a open field, that was hairy)

12th August 1992: Evening thunderstorm with hail

17th August 1992; mid morning thunderstorm

----------------

8th October 1993: storm started 8.10pm stopped 10.05pm (there hasn't been a storm lasted that long this decade)

----------------

24th June 1994: showers in evening with thunder (25 years ago today)

6th July 1994: thunder in evening

24th July 1994: severe thunderstorm in afternoon

30th July 1994: two thunderstorms in  afternoon and evening

31st July 1994: heavy rain at times with thunder in pm

1st August 1994: thunderstorm in evening

4th August: thunderstorm in night

----------------

11th July 1995: thunderstorm in early morning and mid afternoon

--------------------

7th June 1996: thunderstorm late evening

------------

18th May 1997: thunderstorm early am. (that was a beauty)

-------------

Posted

BBC forecast at lunchtime mentioned thunderstorms tomorrow morning around NW England ,  Hmmm . No way I thought ,

What will actually  happen if anything , will be moderate/heavy rain instead, with gloomy featureless murky skies from the dregs left from the overnight storms further south, making a washout drive into work

Lo and behold ,  the BBC now says just heavy rain in NW England for the morning,  on this evenings forecast,  with more storms breaking out over southern counties   

I need to move 

Next chance Saturday night?   that will change no doubt

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Something brewing to my SSE

20190624_211612.jpggreat sky to the west

20190624_214039.jpg

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 1

Posted

Raining......... again.

A poor June, see if the the last 5 days can salvage something for this month. This time last year, we were just had gone into the peak period of last summer. Sunshine levels were phenomenal, it was dry as a bone, grass was turning brown. 

On the storm front, a kick in the teeth for those in the SE. They see storm forecasts uppiing the ante through the day and then it goes pear-shaped for most...............

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Raining......... again.

A poor June, see if the the last 5 days can salvage something for this month. This time last year, we were just had gone into the peak period of last summer. Sunshine levels were phenomenal, it was dry as a bone, grass was turning brown. 

On the storm front, a kick in the teeth for those in the SE. They see storm forecasts uppiing the ante through the day and then it goes pear-shaped for most...............

After today, it does look quite nice. Sunny and not too hot, just how I like it.

But July looks like starting with a repeat of the temperatures of last week.

MT8_Manchester_ens.thumb.png.a8527bd7650492553143661f9d27f54d.png

Dry at least.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes what happened to the 'dangerous heat' some were ramping ,  Someone even said about this spell , its the summer equivalent of the beast from the east , scorching temps and some powerful T storms , just goes to show , never trust the models , even in short time range , 

This whole spell so far as just been well...meh, a big let down , does look decent for the next few days towards the weekend, but nothing out of the ordinary , just a typical nice few days on the warm side , that happens most summers, Looks a bit 'meh' again after that

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, IanR said:

Yes what happened to the 'dangerous heat' some were ramping ,  Someone even said about this spell , its the summer equivalent of the beast from the east , scorching temps and some powerful T storms , just goes to show , never trust the models , even in short time range , 

This whole spell so far as just been well...meh, a big let down , does look decent for the next few days towards the weekend, but nothing out of the ordinary , just a typical nice few days on the warm side , that happens most summers, Looks a bit 'meh' again after that

It's usually the same people year in year out that ramp up potential cold 7+ days away, which, again never happens. But I guess these same people generate traffic to this website, if it was me doing it I'd get accused of "cherry picking" & banned lol Anyway I'm not a heat fan but black clouds all day like today doesn't fill me with joy. A bright day in the low 20s would be good, at least it would be pleasant enough without breaking into a sweat. The French can keep the heat.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It depends how you look at it... 850hPa temperatures are near record levels on Friday but because a strong surface wind... the  2m temperatures will be surpressed. 

Posted

Anyone expecting a thundery shower in NW England on Saturday need to be prepared for disappointment,

Looks like just odd ...possibly thundery showers will keep far west in the Irish sea , and push off to the north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
On 24/06/2019 at 17:47, IanR said:

But that wasn't always the case , for example during the 80's and 90's afternoon storms over the west midland would often make up here by evening , you would here the distant growls to the south as the light started to fade , then you would see the lightning, the storms would trundle all the way to the scottish border during the early hours   

I dont care what anyone says , something HAS changed , 

It really never happens like that anymore,  I did forecast myself that this was over hyped ,  as early as Friday , I knew it would be a huge disappointment for the NW ,   it nearly always is thesedays      

Would happen during the 70s as well...large cells coming up from the south...I can recall more than one occasion of storms off and on during the night, then waking up to a very murky morning with odd rumbles retreating away to the north.

Just doesn’t happen like that anymore.

• Like 1

Posted

A  decent summers day here, though the wind made it feel a bit fresh, lots of sunshine but also high level cloud. This evening the cloud cleared to bring clear skies and an excellent sunset, deep red skies. We've had few such sunsets so far this season, indeed the past few weeks have been very poor in this respect. Tonight looks chilly here, we could get down to 5/6 degrees - so much for sultry heat! Many a milder night in mid bleak mid winter!

Posted

Looks great for the next 3 days, after that, the further south you are in the region  , the better.

Looks good though for those with outside interests...

Posted

What a fantastic day.

20190627_085439.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

We are getting the best of it today, compared to east of the hills , looks very cloudy esp near the east coast.

I blame that cold N sea, unless you like it cool and cloudy that is.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
4 hours ago, Had Worse said:

What a fantastic day.

20190627_085439.jpg

Summer at it's best 23c Glourious Sunshine why the Ek some folk would like it in the mid thirties is utterly beyond me each to there own though.

C.S

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Didn't mind today & looking similar tomorrow. The fresh breeze felt quite refreshing. Saturday looking a bit too hot for my liking but luckily it's a one day wonder. 

• Like 1

Posted

23C in Manchester yesterday. I don't think we've actually reached 25C yet this year? I can't remember such a late date for it to be reached although we should hit it today.

Posted

Just driven Hadfield to Newmills and its 24°C, only dropping to 23°C as I went over Chunel Hill.  

Lots of Acas clouds around and very close

Posted

Reports of huge raindrops in Shropshire, looking at radar, its development to the N, W & SW of Manchester too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
16 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Reports of huge raindrops in Shropshire, looking at radar, its development to the N, W & SW of Manchester too.

I sat out eating my breakfast earlier and i felt a few spots of rain but it looks like it's passed now