Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Sunny start cloudy now, hopefully the sun will be out again after the front has passed,going for a walk in a bit

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Warmest February day in serious danger of been broken sure Kev will correct me if I am wrong The ECM is a cracker if you like spring after a winter that disappointed in so many ways I am in full spring mode now and the ECM gets afrom me

C.S

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Warmest February day in serious danger of been broken sure Kev will correct me if I am wrong The ECM is a cracker if you like spring after a winter that disappointed in so many ways I am in full spring mode now and the ECM gets afrom me

C.S

Could be ,jetstream all way down to the canary  islands,  very unusual 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
59 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

C.S

Aye it’s been a decent few days and i’ll gladly take another couple of weeks like this before the proper heat arrives in March

for those of us old enough to remember, this time 40 years ago couldn’t have been anymore different with probably the coldest snowiest February i’ve ever seen.

• Like 1

Posted

Well the GEFS Temperatures drop quite significantly to start March thankfully FI Terotry 

To be fair a big spread at that range for EG Manchester showing anything from -11 uppers to +5 Uppers I have a nagging feeling that winter could come back to bite.

Hopefully not but would not bet against it.

Short term very much looking forward to the spring like weather 16c not out of the question

Enjoy

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

After a decent weekend today has felt pretty damn cold and raw again.

not quite a shock to the system but it’s a good reminder that we’re still a long way from spring yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

What's happened to Darren Bown? Usually a regular contributor in this thread. 

snow member? or was he all year round, some only come on when the snow is coming down

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Already 12.4°C here. Expecting to reach 15°C today thanks to the foehn effect. Looking forward to what is a heat wave for the time of year. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
16 hours ago, itsnowjoke said:

winter over fact 

A "Like" in a sort of way maybe it's an age thing but that Sun is quite good.... Ive not been out in any real conditions this "Winter" a minor snowy trudge up in the Langdales nr Sargeant Man and freezing rain around Ambleside was particularly testing pre Christmas and thats about it.

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Posted

Just reached 16c sun is out ice cream van doing its rounds what a stuning day more like may than Feb 

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Just leaving Chester for Liverpool on the Merseyrail train. It's more like a May spring bank holiday than winter. Really is cracking the flags, outrageous for  third quarter of February. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Max was 13.9°C here and sun has been out all afternoon and late morning. There was a slight sea-breeze up to around 1/4 mile inland which I noticed as I came back from the beach. 

Should be even better tomorrow.  

Posted
9 hours ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

A "Like" in a sort of way maybe it's an age thing but that Sun is quite good.... Ive not been out in any real conditions this "Winter" a minor snowy trudge up in the Langdales nr Sargeant Man and freezing rain around Ambleside was particularly testing pre Christmas and thats about it.

Just the one decent winter walk so far this season (winter doesn't end in the fells until April in my book..), that was on the 2 February, which was an excellent day with the fells plastered in deep powder snow, calm conditions. Alas the snow was quickly cast aside on the 3/4th, and there has been no fresh snow since, and the fells are looking very brown. A northerly can quickly turn them white well into April still..

Back to today, not a brilliant one here, much better than yesterday though which brought significant rainfall all the way through. It stayed overcast until early afternoon, with a clearance by about 3pm, hazy sunshine to end the day, but quite chilly still, temps maxed about 11 degree just, 8 degrees by 6pm with fog forming, and a chilly night ahead - it is still February.

However, the next few days promise very fine fayre, much will depend on how much cloud we see, tomorrow should be sunny, Saturday hazy sun, cloudy later, Sunday might be quite overcast, before clear skies and sun returns early next week. What will be notable is the expected very mild maxima, not dropping below 12 degree throughout, tomorrow might see 15 degrees, Sat about 14 degrees, Sunday 13 possibly 12 degrees, Monday back up to 13/14 degrees, might squueze out another 15 degrees Tuesday, these are temps we would do well to see in late April/early May, and indeed in some years don't.

However, its all too far early for me, and I can't get enthused at all with it.. a months time then yes, but not late February.

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

However, its all too far early for me, and I can't get enthused at all with it.. a months time then yes, but not late February.

I agree entirely. I’d be bang up for this set up in late March or early April. A clear mild sunny day in February should feel pleasant in the sun but in reality be topping out at 7 or 8 degrees and then drop well below freezing at night. On the other hand you can still get ice days from clear days at this time of year. This whole winter has been completely bizarre. I’ve spent all but a few out of the last 34 years in Cumbria. I’ve never known such a benign, uneventful winter. December 2015 was freakishly warm but it came with the wind and rain you’d expect. This winter has been high pressure dominated without ever being cold. I think the lowest temperature I’ve seen is a very standard -5 or -6. It hasn’t been wet, it hasn’t been windy, there’s been hardly any frost and of course it hasn’t snowed (I’ve seen a couple of very light falls). It just hasn’t happened. It seems like every day has been between fair and overcast, calm and about 8 degrees, with the exception of the past week when it’s skipped 2 months straight into April. I expect at some point between now and next winter we’ll have another spell of unusual warmth. It seems to be the cycle we are in at the moment. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

I agree entirely. I’d be bang up for this set up in late March or early April. A clear mild sunny day in February should feel pleasant in the sun but in reality be topping out at 7 or 8 degrees and then drop well below freezing at night. On the other hand you can still get ice days from clear days at this time of year. This whole winter has been completely bizarre. I’ve spent all but a few out of the last 34 years in Cumbria. I’ve never known such a benign, uneventful winter. December 2015 was freakishly warm but it came with the wind and rain you’d expect. This winter has been high pressure dominated without ever being cold. I think the lowest temperature I’ve seen is a very standard -5 or -6. It hasn’t been wet, it hasn’t been windy, there’s been hardly any frost and of course it hasn’t snowed (I’ve seen a couple of very light falls). It just hasn’t happened. It seems like every day has been between fair and overcast, calm and about 8 degrees, with the exception of the past week when it’s skipped 2 months straight into April. I expect at some point between now and next winter we’ll have another spell of unusual warmth. It seems to be the cycle we are in at the moment. 

Its had its moments, there has been a number of decent air frosts, and the last 2 weeks of January and opening three days of February brought a consistent period of below average temps, and we had an ice day on the 31st Jan, and nearly one on the 30th, with a number of days with snowfall - so overall not devoid of wintry weather. I agree though it has been exceptionally benign, much like 2016/17 which was also a very calm one, with no storms, that winter brought less snow and frost as well.

Indeed since April its been exceptionally benign, we will see a switch par for the course, lets hope not in time for summer! - we've been in a calm period since the infamous December of 2015 overall.. an abrupt sudden change might quickly occur.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

A pink start this morning.

20190222_070634.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Had Worse said:

A pink start this morning.

20190222_070634.jpg

Yes!  was very pink here, about the pinkest morning Ive ever seen, I would imagine there are no historic pinkness charts to refer to.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Currently in Mont-de-Marsan in France. Been a stunning day here temps in the 20s people out enjoying their food and drink. Driving to Spain tomorrow. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1