Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
44 minutes ago, mottram blue said:

I'm in mottram, do our showers need to make landfall at hull then will ? 

The steering winds are turning more ne so showers north of hull should start heading more towards Manchester area...it’s flurrying here atm....-1c....

• Like 1

Posted

The app on my phone has changed from a snow shower at 1pm to showers from now until 3pm...it only goes by radar as 1-6hrs ahead forecast changes like the wind

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

The steering winds are turning more ne so showers north of hull should start heading more towards Manchester area...it’s flurrying here atm....-1c....

Yes agreed.. the showers to the NW of Hull are the ones to watch for Manchester. The one currently over North Cheshire came inland over Hull itself so the second batch could be more favourable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The showers are fizzling out as it crossing the hills. I don't think I will expect anything here today.

Posted
1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Yes agreed.. the showers to the NW of Hull are the ones to watch for Manchester. The one currently over North Cheshire came inland over Hull itself so the second batch could be more favourable. 

image.thumb.png.b58f3a74a779769cf8ec561f7c8fab0b.png

Do you mean these Joe?

Posted
5 minutes ago, pip22 said:

The showers are fizzling out as it crossing the hills. I don't think I will expect anything here today.

Yep, to be fair we all expecting them to do that overnight but they didn't so it's been a better snow day than expected.

Maybe something tonight when temps start falling again.

Posted

We could have done with  bit stronger wind.

By tonight the wind will be from the north so any showers will be restricted east of the hills. So the window of opportunity is quite small.

Posted

The north west definitely seems pretty crap for heavy snowfalls. Regularly get a inch or two from a streamer or stray shower but never seem to get 6 inches+ (which is what I'd class as a good fall). 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I think my locale will have to look to next winter cant see anything out there and winters not got long now 

I have to say that i get the sinking feeling looking at the charts. I am going to enjoy the next two days as much as possible though and ignore the charts for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
21 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Met office warning map update looks very chaotic again....

Heavy polystyrene shower

20190201_112759.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Showers off the Durham and Teeside coasts look to be getting more organised, could fire into South Lancs and Manchester should they get enough intensity about them to get past the hills. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

The north west definitely seems pretty crap for heavy snowfalls. Regularly get a inch or two from a streamer or stray shower but never seem to get 6 inches+ (which is what I'd class as a good fall). 

.... And you are further inland than we are here  we seem to be in our own little micro climate as far as snow is concerned in this part of the country ..... thats why I hate it when the media in general use terms like widespread and countrywide. I mean its even snowing in Newquay ......     

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
10 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Last time there was over 6" here was Feb 1996, also havent had more than 8cm since March 2006 when we got about 12cm id imagine, absolutely dire, Cornwall get more snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I think we had a good fall new years eve 2000, about 4-5" maybe

Posted
Just now, Snow free zone said:

.... And you are further inland than we are here  we seem to be in our own little micro climate as far as snow is concerned in this part of the country ..... thats why I hate it when the media in general use terms like widespread and countrywide. I mean its even snowing in Newquay ......     

It's the coastal warming effect, it happens all over in marginal events! It's just more noticeable here because where it might otherwise be the difference between a couple of inches or a few cms, it's the difference between snow and no snow over here..... 

Anyway, the north sea seems to have a firework up it's backside today, so we never know it might start penetrating the hills. I've vague memories of observing it do that in 2010 (but obviously I was more focused on the NE where I was actually living). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes inc storms and gales, but mostly cold and snow.

It’s always frustrating here on the fylde coast but this winter and last have pushed me to the edge. Snow starved southerners indeed... time to look at houses in the Cairngorms, I think. 

Ed. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & sunshine

Graupel showers here on and off. 

Posted
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Cheers will in town st mo so not sure what's happening st home shower activity looks good