Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, PsychedelicTony said:

OK maybe South East looking good to be fair. As that's a phone screen shot when is that for?

9am Friday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
4 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

I got married in st Audrey’s park two years ago last October... my mum and sister in Taunton and ilminster say it’s snowing

Stayed at  St Audrey's Bay Chalet in 2002 with my now wife. We won a competition in the Oldham Chronicle.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Multi fuel wood & coal.... 

51F56979-F99D-40F4-8DA0-F1309E54E73C.jpeg

Lovely and toastie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

This looks better on loop

11A24032-3F30-481B-90D1-0E7DF4DBD153.MOV

Looks very nice me Lord,

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

Watching the Radar and seeing this front pivot over South Wales and parts of the south west is amazing, just shows you how in the right setup you can get hours upon hours of continuous snowfall. 

Can anybody remember an event which pivoted over us like that? 

Posted
7 minutes ago, IM NOT REALLY HERE said:

Watching the Radar and seeing this front pivot over South Wales and parts of the south west is amazing, just shows you how in the right setup you can get hours upon hours of continuous snowfall. 

My mum, sister and auntie in Taunton, ilminster & Broadway village reporting heavy snow... my mum hates it and my auntie and sister love it... my Nan of 92 we helped move house to my mums village in August is loving it too apparently...wondering if my old haunt in north Kent and my mates down there will get in on the action overnight....

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

A wonderful winters day - very cold last night, roughly about -6 degrees, probably the coldest min of the season so far, and a heavy hoar frost coating everything indeed it looked like snowfall - sparkling in the sunshine, a beautiful scene, the snow on Wednesday morning still coating trees and shrubs thanks to no wind.

We have managed an ice day as well.

Tonight another harsh frost.

Tomorrow brings chance of snow showers from the NE - I won't be surprised if a few showers make it well into the NW region. 

Then attention turning to Sunday - snow most likely places with height - Cumbria though does very well in these set ups.

• Like 3

Posted

Just read the SE thread. There are some major toys being thrown in there! 

BBE88774-2824-4B10-8390-61CD66D6FDB1.thumb.jpeg.dab69f0f7d5817ebbbaf52295442569f.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
16 minutes ago, IM NOT REALLY HERE said:

Erm. 

No. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer
1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

This is such a good post. 

A “cold westerly” delivers to lowland south Manchester once every 4-5 years or so. It is just about the only setup which delivers here, certainly more than a light dusting. 

Every time it happens the Met Office always underplays it and it often comes as a surprise - I genuinely think yesterday morning warranted an amber warning here but the streamer was barely mentioned on forecasts the day before.

Sometimes local knowledge is the best forecast - predicting convective streamers relies on knowing what has delivered in the past, given a very specific wind direction and speed. 

Do you remember the ruler straight westerly streamer of  Dec 2009? Or was it 2010. Pretty sure 2009. Straight off the Irish. No more than 10/15 miles North to South. Inches and Inches off that in South Manchester. Really localised.

Another great event was the Jan2010 Northerly trough which delivered big time for a lot of the region as a whole.

I still reckon winters of 2009 and 2010 will become added to the mythological one's of '47 '63 '79 '81 etc.

Feb 1996 another one that gave a decent covering in Chorlton/South Manc although nowhere near as much as previously mentioned events.

Having moved to North Wales I'm still getting my bearings on local conditions. Weird seeing a streamer set up and no idea where it's gonna hit. When you've lived somewhere for years you instinctively know where is in the firing line, or more importantly where is not!

I'm still thinking "We are gonna cop this off the Irish" but I'm well out! Learning curve for me again.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Arome gone off on one on update? 2-5cm on Pennines overnight more like 2-5 micrometers of drizzle....

33479F0F-86D0-4351-86FA-FF4D1FE48D50.thumb.png.12ece6b1382524a5b2742d69ea62d4dc.pngE04379D4-63C6-47B1-A6E3-39A8D3BC5138.thumb.png.893624a876da28dfae187ea50bf65106.png

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

My mum, sister and auntie in Taunton, ilminster & Broadway village reporting heavy snow... my mum hates it and my auntie and sister love it... my Nan of 92 we helped move house to my mums village in August is loving it too apparently...wondering if my old haunt in north Kent and my mates down there will get in on the action overnight....

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/Camsecure_Live_Demo_Index.html

Plenty of cams

• Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, PsychedelicTony said:

Do you remember the ruler straight westerly streamer of  Dec 2009? Or was it 2010. Pretty sure 2009. Straight off the Irish. No more than 10/15 miles North to South. Inches and Inches off that in South Manchester. Really localised.

Another great event was the Jan2010 Northerly trough which delivered big time for a lot of the region as a whole.

I still reckon winters of 2009 and 2010 will become added to the mythological one's of '47 '63 '79 '81 etc.

Feb 1996 another one that gave a decent covering in Chorlton/South Manc although nowhere near as much as previously mentioned events.

Having moved to North Wales I'm still getting my bearings on local conditions. Weird seeing a streamer set up and no idea where it's gonna hit. When you've lived somewhere for years you instinctively know where is in the firing line, or more importantly where is not!

I'm still thinking "We are gonna cop this off the Irish" but I'm well out! Learning curve for me again.

2010 was when we had record low for December of -17, I remember in the 90's as well we had a good snow event too that wasn't as cold as 2010 but provided more snow before that I was too young to remember

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, IM NOT REALLY HERE said:

It looks like it's stallling due to the ENE winds rather than a proper pivot which sends the preciptional spiralling round pivot point.

Happened a few years back, possibly Feb or March 2014 not sure, pivot point South Manchester, remained largely dry sent snow up to Yorkshire and back where it came from North Wales.

I asked on the mod thread the other day about this pivot point senario because in my experience if you are right on the pivot point. you actually get virtually nothing. The reply was at the pivot point you get the most (snow)

If it stalls over you yep. But not pivot, I could be well wrong that's why I asked. Anyone?

Edited by PsychedelicTony
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

3 streamers for the north east with showers getting far in land even light ones first ones started to reach Sheffield 

might get a dusting over night

Yes some surprise snowfalls could occur tomorrow in the NW, showers do look like reaching these parts, and they could be heavy. I think there will be a few surprises..

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, SnowThunder said:

2010 was when we had record low for December of -17, I remember in the 90's as well we had a good snow event too that wasn't as cold as 2010 but provided more snow before that I was too young to remember

The Dec 2010 low temps were ridiculous, -10 at 4pm only 3 miles outside a major urban city centre. I built my daughter a sledge out of a bread crate but then had to pull her round for an hour as it just wasn't cutting through the snow. I built up a sweat at -10!

• Like 4