Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

The latest euro 4 even leaves Birmingham out of the band of snow. Everything further south.

However, it increases the shower activity over our region with the northeasterly wind tomorrow. it could turn out to be quite a fun day for the east of our region.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, karyo said:

The latest euro 4 even leaves Birmingham out of the band of snow. Everything further south.

However, it increases the shower activity over our region with the northeasterly wind tomorrow. it could turn out to be quite a fun day for the east of our region.

Im east of pennines in west yorks but use both this thread and yorks one and share your optimism.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
20 minutes ago, karyo said:

Trip to Hadfield then?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Looks like there may be an ice day today here.. the first one since last March.. although before that I'd have to go back to my childhood to find one no doubt. So a potentially rare phenomena today.

Posted

We were on the very northerly edge of the ppn from tuesday night.  Left a cm here and there - some of which is still around this morning.  There's hardly any snow at all north of Preston, but all the hills to the east of the M6 are snow covered and the lakeland fells all look well covered.

We've had more snow over the past 7 days here from showers that we got over the whole of last winter - admittedly not alot by some folks standards but for here up to now its been a snowy winter :oldsmile:

Posted
3 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Trip to Hadfield then?

Was out and about yesterday but Glossop seemed to have the least, pavements and roads pretty much all clear at lunchtime... Didn't catch the event so guessing they were on the fringes of the snowfall. 

Expected more in that area but had less than city centre, anyone know why? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
3 minutes ago, karyo said:

The met office update is nauseating! 

Mild and drizzly? 

Posted
1 minute ago, Had Worse said:

Mild and drizzly? 

Average temperatures with Atlantic systems coming in. Small chance for an easterly end of February lol

Posted

I’m very much an amature but in my location (Bootle merseyside) the cloud covering looks very much like layering stratus and I was always taught that from the first ‘wisps’ it would generally rain within 6 hours perhaps that front is moving further north than predicted as they have definitely got another layer in the last hour 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
12 minutes ago, Linda said:

I’m very much an amature but in my location (Bootle merseyside) the cloud covering looks very much like layering stratus and I was always taught that from the first ‘wisps’ it would generally rain within 6 hours perhaps that front is moving further north than predicted as they have definitely got another layer in the last hour 

Unless that stratus layer is skirting you on its northern boundary. 

Posted
37 minutes ago, karyo said:

Average temperatures with Atlantic systems coming in. Small chance for an easterly end of February lol

Is that what it say's Really?

"Generally cold conditions are often likely to dominate the weather through mid to late February, however confidence is low. "

too many people read the Daily Mail 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

The 6–15 dayer is pretty uninspiring. 

UK Outlook for Tuesday 5 Feb 2019 to Thursday 14 Feb 2019:

Through the middle and end of next week it will be less cold than we have had recently, but still with frost and ice likely overnight. Weather fronts will bring bands of rain and hill snow from the north and west, which will tend to peter out as they reach southeastern parts of the UK. Between these spells of wet weather there will be drier and brighter periods. The wind will be brisk at times, with gales around exposed coasts and over higher ground. Towards the middle of February, it may become more settled with longer spells of drier weather. However, northwestern areas are still likely to see rain and probably hill snow at times. Temperatures will be around normal for the time of year, with some overnight frosts.

Zonal followed by Azores high building from the south is how I read that. Roll on spring in that case. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
4 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Is that what it say's Really?

"Generally cold conditions are often likely to dominate the weather through mid to late February, however confidence is low. "

too many people read the Daily Mail 

The met office outlook till the middle of Feb talks about becoming less cold with average temperatures. This is a downgrade from previous update. Then the update for the rest of Feb is also a downgrade of you compare to previous days. Open your eyes, read and compare.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Through the middle and end of next week it will be less cold than we have had recently, but still with frost and ice likely overnight. Weather fronts will bring bands of rain and hill snow from the north and west, which will tend to peter out as they reach southeastern parts of the UK. Between these spells of wet weather there will be drier and brighter periods. The wind will be brisk at times, with gales around exposed coasts and over higher ground. Towards the middle of February, it may become more settled with longer spells of drier weather. However, northwestern areas are still likely to see rain and probably hill snow at times. Temperatures will be around normal for the time of year, with some overnight frosts.

Zonal followed by Azores high building from the south is how I read that. Roll on spring in that case. 

That's how I read it too. I hope spring gets delayed though.

Posted
Just now, karyo said:

The met office outlook till the middle of Feb talks about becoming less cold with average temperatures. This is a downgrade from previous update. Then the update for the rest of Feb is also a downgrade of you compare to previous days. Open your eyes, read and compare.

Compare what? One low confidence forecast with another 

Both say there will be cold spells and milder spells

What we have now will continue in waves interspersed by milder waves.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Basically what we have now then? The Jet has to be coming form a north of westerly direction to bring hill snow to the north and the forecast will change tomorrow The high starts of close to the UK untill its push back west by the jet and we get another trough diving south east. No Easterly in that time period probably not one for this winter but that's been obvious for a while now.

I see no sign of warm weather then again its January 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

Well right now, looking cold and crisp until Sunday evening where most will see rain, some perhaps snow. Enjoying it as much as i can because it looks uninspiring until the middle of the month, back to looking at FI in the models! At least the snow we had is still about and things look nice 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just not feeling very hopeful this morning for the rest of winter. Beginning to look forward now to summer and all its thunderstorm days when they miraculously miss me at every opportunity.  

I often feel like this at Candlemas. that’s on Sat btw. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
21 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Just not feeling very hopeful this morning for the rest of winter. Beginning to look forward now to summer and all its thunderstorm days when they miraculously miss me at every opportunity.  

I often feel like this at Candlemas. that’s on Sat btw. 

And just when we start wanting summer, boom, we're hit with an easterly in March

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karyo said:

Euro 4, Icon, NavGem, CMCGem all showing the band of snow stopping in the West Midlands area. Was trying to figure out what is stopping it moving north because no active fronts just now. Hopefuly said showers will pick up overnight and into the early hours.

If anyone who enjoyed Discovery Channel Storm Chasers was wondering where Reed Timmer is these days. He is working for Accuweather and currently reporting on the deep cold that is affecting the north and midwest USA. See the link below for some serious snow. Its feeling a bit chilly stateside as well

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/storm-chasers/2ad234bf4f014a83a4b7d626ca63693c