Sign in to follow this  
Snowyowl9

Best decade for comedy was the 70`s.

Need I say more about this absolute classic episode and series just to start.

Apart from laurel and who were the epitome of comedy greatness.

This man above did all his own stunts.

when you were still allowed to offend everyone lol

Porridge, Rising Damp, Man About The House, George and Mildred, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Fawlty Towers, The Good Life, Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin, On the Buses, Bless This House, Dads Army, Are You Being Served?, Monty Python's Flying Circus, 

Just to name a few.

taste in comedy is like taste in music...

imho it was mixed, with the best comedy being on bbc ... mpfc, fawlty, spike milligan, the croft/perry/loyd  series, mike yarwood, ... i really disliked itv comedy. it was simply banal.. love thy neighbour, george and mildred, mind your language, and a lot of those weather history has mentioned.

the funniest thing on itv in the 70's was tiswas.. and tbh itv has never really risen to match the bbc or channel 4.

which decade was the best?.... there was great comedy in all the decades ive watched tv, from the 60's (steptoe, alf garnet, twtwtw) through until about ten years ago. in the 80's you had the young ones, blackadder, comic strip presents, allo allo, hi de hi..
in the 90's we had vicar of dibley, harry enfield, alan partridge, father ted, royle family
the 00's it started to deteriorate imho... greenwing though was pure class.
the 2010s?.... sod all really that id call anything like as great, cutting edge, that we can watch over and over again, save perhaps for benidorm.

but its back to the point i made about snowflakes ..... they are sooooo scared of offending, nothing anymore is funny.. the only think they laugh at now can be found on those oh so funny (not) smart weeble pannel games where brexit, trump, and the tories are fair game.... where are the great comedy characters? fawlty? rik? ted and dougal? edmund blackadder? the characters on croft/perry/loyd comedies? steptoe? garnet? meldrew? jim royle? dr alan statham?
funny characters that you laughted with are rare, and its back to finger pointing and mocking others like jim davidson, jimmy tarbuck, and idiots like that did back in the 70's. my mother in law... my wife... that gay... that *insert racial stereotype.. abeit different targets.

ive never found 'figner pointing' comedy funny... ive always found comedic characters funny.. starting with laurel and hardy.

the thing about comedy or comedy characters they are based usually on real people and real situations or moments in time that people could relate to...i mean i really liked Gavin and Stacey..because i grew up in Essex and all my friends were exactly like the characters in that show including the parents..albeit it was set 15 years after i was their age...same with Only Fools..i knew people just like Del and Rodney..not as extreme but you get my drift...my dad used to love The likely lads, it aint half hot mum, morecambe and wise etc..which i didn't get because i was a child and couldn't relate to it..now i can watch it and totally get it.

On 26/01/2019 at 19:13, lassie23 said:

when you were still allowed to offend everyone lol

When people didn't get severely offended on behalf of other people who aren't offended, over things that were clearly never intended to offend anyone at all, and who have no understanding of humour or the British tendency for self-deprecation, find the Germans far too frivolous, and think everyone should take life at least twice as seriously as a very thick book full of commercial legal jargon in 21 different languages.

And I absolutely do not apologise if that offends anyone 😛

43 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

the thing about comedy or comedy characters they are based usually on real people and real situations or moments in time that people could relate to.

well exactly.... exagerated versions of real people with strong/odd characters.. and it was us brits that took the p out of us brits the most.

i just dont really get why it isnt still going on.. well, only a fraction of what it used to do.

not just comedy though...i have been recently been watching series 1 & 2 of Minder with George Cole (RIP) and Denis Waterman...knocks the socks of most dramas today..but would never be made today..not only is it great writing with some great characters too..it has some great comedy touches thrown it to.

1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

not just comedy though...i have been recently been watching series 1 & 2 of Minder with George Cole (RIP) and Denis Waterman...knocks the socks of most dramas today..but would never be made today..not only is it great writing with some great characters too..it has some great comedy touches thrown it to.

i beg to differ with that  sir..

i couldnt stand minder... lol.. yet tv drama today is id suggest the best ever?..  just look at broadchurch, happy valley, poldark, line of duty, wolf hall, power.. theres loads of great drama covering all bases.

48 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

i beg to differ with that  sir..

i couldnt stand minder... lol.. yet tv drama today is id suggest the best ever?..  just look at broadchurch, happy valley, poldark, line of duty, wolf hall, power.. theres loads of great drama covering all bases.

all very samey and safe...

14 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

all very samey and safe...

happy valley, safe?... power, safe?... lol.. game of thrones , safe?.. they make minder look like grange hill! 😂

agree to disagree on this one i think.

Tommy cooper was on ITV....

Yes the 80`s was great aswell but then something called alternative comedy come out which went more to the traditional classic comedy like les dawson and many more as the young ones was more ott,not the nine o`clock news for e.g. couldn`t get into that then.

As for comedy now I just don`t find it funny at all like Michael McIntyre and its way over the top PC.

Tommy cooper hilarious.

Edited by Snowyowl9

11 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

As for comedy now I just don`t find it funny at all like Michael McIntyre and its way over the top PC.

absloutely, which frustrates me because i love a good laugh.

11 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Tommy cooper was on ITV....

Yes the 80`s was great aswell but then something called alternative comedy come out which went more to the traditional classic comedy like les dawson and many more as the young ones was more ott,not the nine o`clock news for e.g. couldn`t get into that then.

Tommy cooper hilarious.

McIntyre is about as funny as wet blanket in a snowstorm...But Frankie Boyle is neither tame nor samey...?

Edited by Ed Stone

frankie boyles about the best currently... but even so, i dont go out of my way to watch him. hes not funny enough to me and i do find his material 'samey'.

On 29/01/2019 at 02:23, mushymanrob said:

happy valley, safe?... power, safe?... lol.. game of thrones , safe?.. they make minder look like grange hill! 😂

agree to disagree on this one i think.

Grange hill was great when i was a kid..then got all PC and sheet and rightly got axed

Morcambe and wise on the big screen didn`t work out too good. morcambe and wise otherwise was another comedy genius put together.

Spoiler

Edited by Snowyowl9