Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Old home weather station, any good?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

I bought this for my partner in 2011/12. We never settled in our previous house and he never used it. I know its not the most amazing weather station, but I wondered if it were still worth using? 

We feel more settled here and he wants to set it up. Does anyone know about this WS? Whether there are software updates? 

Would be grateful of any advice.

20190122_112000.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Whilst I don't know much about the station, I sure know its better off in a garden than in its box!

You may aswell get it set up in the garden and see how you get on with it, those kind of stations aren't known for there durability but everyone has to start somewhere.

If you enjoy it you can eventually upgrade to something a bit more durable/up to date when it suits you :)

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Yes it sure would be best outside hahaha. It wasn't very expensive, maybe £90 or £100 but it was all I could afford. We shall look into it at the weekend. 

Thanks for you reply 

Edited by Storme

Posted

Ha, memory jerker I use to have one of those, it was a LaCrosse system. I recently, I.e. a month again decommissioned it and placed into local care(dustbin). Had it for many years, and yes it was functional. Had to replace the anemometer as it wore out and the second one finally sized after many years of service. It can’t be used to capture data it is a here now system,with the periodic updates for the wind means it doesn’t read gusts, just averages. Classic was the rain gauge was up on a pole which I recently took down, to find it clogged with anything and everything, shows how I hadn’t Looked at the console for a very long time!

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

I used to have one of these (a WS-2300, the same model just with no USB adaptor) as my first AWS in the early-mid 2000s alongside traditional equipment before I went to my Davis. The temperature sensor on mine was actually pretty accurate once placed inside a screen (it ran 0.3-0.4C too cool before calibration) and the rain gauge was pretty good. Mine lasted 6 years with the base station failing before any of the sensors did. The software for it was called heavyweather and hasn't been updated in probably around 15 years. Its much better if you use something like Cumulus with it instead.