Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Do you live in California, now?

No thank god! Imagine the tedium of that. 

I work on the tops of buildings alot, cooling tower maintenance, so relentless strong sun can be a pain in the harris. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

So why do we never hear the phrases "plenty of snow" (apart from the obvious reason that it hardly ever snows in this god awful country any more), or "plenty of fog"?

Well sunshine does tend to me more widespread than the same amount of snow or areas of fog. Instead you'd get heavy or light snow / widespread or patchy fog.

Posted
3 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

No vineyards or olive groves up here in Costa del Oldham. 

Like I said, only a matter of time!

Posted

Once again May proving why it is generally the best month to visit the Scottish Highlands - it is the on average the most easterly month of the year, and consequently the west highlands tends to do very well -sheltered from the easterly drift allowing for the highest temperatures. Come July and more so August the SW airstream plagues the Highlands with all its clag and murk and humid wet muck..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
40 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Once again May proving why it is generally the best month to visit the Scottish Highlands - it is the on average the most easterly month of the year, and consequently the west highlands tends to do very well -sheltered from the easterly drift allowing for the highest temperatures. Come July and more so August the SW airstream plagues the Highlands with all its clag and murk and humid wet muck..

Exactly, fairly obvious post though

Posted

And yet again another splendid day, would like some T Storms soon though, sadly lacking for some time now. Variation of weather with added sparks.

Posted
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Like it was way back in Roman Brittan then

Indeed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
3 hours ago, Don said:

Like I said, only a matter of time!

Maybe we should call you Mystic Don? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
On 16/05/2019 at 20:21, Wimbledon88 said:

No thank god! Imagine the tedium of that. 

I work on the tops of buildings alot, cooling tower maintenance, so relentless strong sun can be a pain in the harris. 

I can understand that. But days like today at this time of the year, are just rank 

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I can understand that. But days like today at this time of the year, are just rank 

I doubt it will last for weeks though - especially if you have moved to the Czech Republic. The Summers over there tend to be better than the UK. And in any case it's not Summer yet so if I was you I wouldn't be too despondent. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
15 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I doubt it will last for weeks though - especially if you have moved to the Czech Republic. The Summers over there tend to be better than the UK. And in any case it's not Summer yet so if I was you I wouldn't be too despondent. 

Oh, I’m not despondent. I’m in the UK today and it wasn’t a pleasant day at all. Prague weather hasn’t been very nice for a while now, after some lovely weather earlier in Spring. It should get better, soon, fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

By far the best spring weather wise for me for quite a few years,temps have been fine for working in just about,weekends haven't been to bad really,aircon not been on so a win win really,long may it continue! Just need a lot more rain,that is still worrying.

• Like 5

Posted
19 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Oh, I’m not despondent. I’m in the UK today and it wasn’t a pleasant day at all. Prague weather hasn’t been very nice for a while now, after some lovely weather earlier in Spring. It should get better, soon, fingers crossed.

And they have better winters for snow lovers. Even in a milder year you will get st least 3-4 weeks worth of snow on and off between late November and March.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

And they have better winters for snow lovers. Even in a milder year you will get st least 3-4 weeks worth of snow on and off between late November and March.

Definitely! One reason I moved, to enjoy a slightly more continental climate. Not been vastly different to London, generally, so far though

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Well today was a load of old rubbish, cold and cloudy, with lots of drizzle. Shortlived, I hope. Hoping to see warm, sunny and humid weather coming up, with some storms thrown in please

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

By far the best spring weather wise for me for quite a few years,temps have been fine for working in just about,weekends haven't been to bad really,aircon not been on so a win win really,long may it continue! Just need a lot more rain,that is still worrying.

As seen below reservoir levels on this side of the hills are a bit below last year's levels so a dry Summer will put a strain on things for sure but even a repeat of last Summer probably won't mean stand pipes or anything like that. But if next Autumn & Winter are drier than normal it could mean more drastic measures. Problem is if there's major moorland fires again like last year the helicopters & fire engines take water from the reservoirs further depleting the levels. https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-and-support/your-water-supply/reservoir-levels/

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Definitely! One reason I moved, to enjoy a slightly more continental climate. Not been vastly different to London, generally, so far though

2019/20 will be a very cold one for the uk though. London will get a covering just after Christmas, similar to 1981,95 and 2010(pre Christmas), or December 2000. A cold December is long overdue and I feel 2019 will buck the trend. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A rare warning of late issued for heavy rain showers

14:58 Today 20:00 Today

Heavy showers bringing some travel disruption this afternoon and early evening.

What to expect

• Spray and flooding on roads probably making journey times longer
  • Bus and train services probably affected with journey times taking longer

Heavy showers continue to develop, particularly near southern coasts and also more widely across Dorset and eastern parts of Somerset. A few places will see 15-20 mm of rain fall in less than an hour leading to surface water flooding on some roads.

London & South East England

• Hampshire

South West England

• Bath and North East Somerset
  • Bournemouth
  • Bristol
  • Devon
  • Dorset
  • Gloucestershire
  • North Somerset
  • Poole
  • Somerset
  • South Gloucestershire
  • Swindon
  • Torbay
  • Wiltshire

Wales

• Blaenau Gwent
  • Caerphilly
  • Cardiff
  • Monmouthshire
  • Newport
  • Torfaen

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Weatherdesk_Enquiries#?date=2019-05-19&id=14a5e2ea-574d-4a93-9619-adae7a32bedd&details

• Like 1

Posted
On 16/05/2019 at 17:54, Frost HoIIow said:

No vineyards or olive groves up here in Costa del Oldham. 

Technology is improving but I still would not expect it any time soon. Did you see the images of European vinyards battling late snow and frost? They had similar problems in 2017, too.

https://winenews.it/en/vineyard-fires-burn-bright-in-freezing-cold-in-italy-from-south-tyrol-to-tuscany_390303/11/

And 2 years ago:

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/photos-debilitating-frost-in-frances-winemaking-regions-show-sweeping-extent-damage

• Like 1

Posted

I don't understand some of the complaints from some.. The weather has felt decent of late. Its not felt cold. It could be worse that's for sure. Could be feeding cold air all the way from Iceland.Like we have in previous late springs/summers. May 2018 was obviously much better. But its been an acceptable month so far in my opinion

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I don't understand some of the complaints from some.. The weather has felt decent of late. Its not felt cold. It could be worse that's for sure. Could be feeding cold air all the way from Iceland.Like we have in previous late springs/summers. May 2018 was obviously much better. But its been an acceptable month so far in my opinion

We’ve had some pleasant sunny days, but there’s been a lot of cloudy and cool days mixed in. Sometimes it’s felt genuinely cold for early to mid May, and I have recorded daytime highs of only 12-15c in the London area. Only this week has London managed to reach the 20-21c barrier, which is quite poor for May.

We were spoilt with two relatively good Mays before this year, so that probably plays a part as to why people are complaining. I’ve also had to use the heating still in the mornings and evenings, and even though I did that last year for one day in May, this year the flat still seems to be feeling cold. We are a north facing studio flat, so as a consequence, don’t get much sunlight coming through. 

I just hope for some proper hot weather very soon. A summer with the current weather we have would be disappointing.

Posted

The east of the UK faces the North Sea. so am guessing its felt colder there. But the western part of the UK.its been pleasant enough for the most part.

A couple of nights ago was very cold though. I personally think it could be worse and it has been worse over the years. As for hot weather.Take last year.We had hot spells. But I don't think it was Hot/Hot. It was very settled in the mids 70s for several weeks.

I prefer that kind of weather. Than a hot spell of 27c+ and high humidity  and it only lasting 4 days and then back to cold unsettled regime. I personally would take a just above average temperatures as long as the weather is settled and not much wind.

Which of late. the wind as been gentle. that makes all the difference to the feel of things.