Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

They can keep it as well. Thankfully those sorts of temperatures are unheard of in Northern England. 

Thankfully,its been bad enough this week workwise,last 2 days 6 plus hours each day in 35c temps with no ventilation is not nice trust me!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Finally some more milder conditions befitting of spring, after the ridiculously cold start to the month. Temp inside is now 18°C without heating on. A nice taster of better things to come hopefully, looking forward to warmer, and also humid weather this summer.

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yesterday was the first time I haven't worn my winter coat to work. Crazy late this year.

It was the same for me about 2 weeks ago. I think the first time I actually stopped wearing my winter jacket was around the Easter period, but then had to go back to it, because the weather deteriorated after that.

The atmosphere is still very cold at this time of year. Even if May finishes above average, I have already labelled this May as a cool one. The recent sunny spell has been pleasant enough though. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

It was the same for me about 2 weeks ago. I think the first time I actually stopped wearing my winter jacket was around the Easter period, but then had to go back to it, because the weather deteriorated after that.

The atmosphere is still very cold at this time of year. Even if May finishes above average, I have already labelled this May as a cool one. The recent sunny spell has been pleasant enough though. 

Indeed, it has been nice, I hope it ramps up further by the end of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

"Plenty of sunshine" has to be one of the most irritating phrases ever.  Why can't they just say "it'll be a sunny day" instead of working off the assumption we all want sun?  Oh, and you can add "we'll get to see some sunshine" to that list of irritating phrases too.

Not everyone likes sunshine!

• Like 5

Posted

Nice to see some clouds building up today to relieve the tedium of endless blue skies and blazing sun. Hopefully some showers moving in later. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
25 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

"Plenty of sunshine" has to be one of the most irritating phrases ever.  Why can't they just say "it'll be a sunny day" instead of working off the assumption we all want sun?  Oh, and you can add "we'll get to see some sunshine" to that list of irritating phrases too.

I'm pretty sure it raises mood and makes one feel better. Alot of people will wake up on a dull cloudy cool morning and say..... I wished I would have stayed in bed!! This current spell is just about perfect has well, not to hot, not to cold, and evenings temps perfect for sleeping in!! 

Posted
20 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Thankfully those sorts of temperatures are unheard of in Northern England. 

Only a matter of time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
39 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

It doesn't work off the assumption we all want sunshine. It simply states that there will be plenty of sunshine.

Posted
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Indeed, it has been nice, I hope it ramps up further by the end of the month.

I have a feeling it will, once we get past the 25th, because apart from 2016, temps usually get up to it around the mid of even 27-28c by then. To get to June without exceeding 25c in the south would be a surprise. Even back in the 80s, a 24-26c sunny spell in mid to late May was fairly commonplace. Apart from 1983, 84(both of those were hot summers) and 1985. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Nice to see some clouds building up today to relieve the tedium of endless blue skies and blazing sun. Hopefully some showers moving in later. 

Get on with the painting mate. You’ve been smoking cigarettes, on your second cuppa and still reading the sports page of The Sun. 

We’ve got railings to paint, and some skirting boards to sand down!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

It doesn't work off the assumption we all want sunshine. It simply states that there will be plenty of sunshine.

So why do we never hear the phrases "plenty of snow" (apart from the obvious reason that it hardly ever snows in this god awful country any more), or "plenty of fog"?

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Sir Mim said:

So why do we never hear the phrases "plenty of snow" (apart from the obvious reason that it hardly ever snows in this god awful country any more), or "plenty of fog"?

Probably because generalised sunshine (excluding extreme heat) isn't disruptive to travel infrastructure and a nuisance.

I would imagine the majority of Joe Public prefer warm & sunny weather. Yes, I get it, a lot of people love snow and winter-esque atmospherics, but if you have to commute, it becomes a complete ballache.

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

Probably because generalised sunshine (excluding extreme heat) isn't disruptive to travel infrastructure and a nuisance.

I would imagine the majority of Joe Public prefer warm & sunny weather. Yes, I get it, a lot of people love snow and winter-esque atmospherics, but if you have to commute, it becomes a complete ballache.

So they are working on the assumption we all like the sun?  Thanks for proving my original point.

• Like 2

Posted

I think snow lovers will have something to cheer about next winter. I have an inkling that something similar to Feb 91 or jan 1987 will occur soon, or at least something that will equal or surpass the cold snowy spell of Feb 2018.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

So they are working on the assumption we all like the sun?  Thanks for proving my original point.

What do you want them to say? "It will be a sunny and warm day tomorrow, so the majority of you who like that kind of weather will get to enjoy the sun - but not you Sir Mim. You'll have to remain inside your crypt for another day"

They're working on the assumption MOST of us like the sun. Even most coldies like the sun to SOME degree so long as it's not stiflingly hot. There are very few people who absolutely loathe the sun unconditionally. You're a rare breed - and to be fair, in the run up to Xmas and when it's seasonal etc, I've seen Weather presenters hype the snow.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Azazel said:

You're a rare breed...

Thanks!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Do you live in California, now?

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

Well there are going to be a lot of tired firefighters praying for rain in the north of Scotland as I have just posted this in the Scottish thread.Farm is desperate for water too.

"Fabulous day again but with a fresh to strong SE wind at 18c and 25% RH .This has just reignited the fire to the SE of us at Knockando so the smoke looks very ominous against the backround of a very blue cloudless sky. This is going to be a long summer if it stays dry."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
4 hours ago, Don said:

Only a matter of time!

No vineyards or olive groves up here in Costa del Oldham. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Well there are going to be a lot of tired firefighters praying for rain in the north of Scotland as I have just posted this in the Scottish thread.Farm is desperate for water too.

"Fabulous day again but with a fresh to strong SE wind at 18c and 25% RH .This has just reignited the fire to the SE of us at Knockando so the smoke looks very ominous against the backround of a very blue cloudless sky. This is going to be a long summer if it stays dry."

A few photos of the fire just now which is about 15 to 20 miles SE of us.001.thumb.JPG.c037324f971d21a3aba7a8ff246efb1f.JPG002.thumb.JPG.c9f200a56e6012326ac6c11a95ce6014.JPG003.thumb.JPG.1f75b15f6724b08cdd3dd78431623d7c.JPG

Edited by Northernlights