Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
35 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes similiarities abound.. I remember some sleety wet snow falling for a time, I think on the 17th, and it felt very wintry. Don't recall much about the latter part of the month though. First half of June was very cool though, but a major warm up latter third heralding the start of a superb long spell of hot sunny dry weather. Spring 95 was very dry so there are some comparisons with that season as well - there was a notable shortlived summery spell early in May as well as mentioned. 

It was certainly a wonderful year for weather fans all round- just a shame that I was a bit young to remember it in detail. I do remember VE day street party celebrations on the playground at school and recall it being scorching.

It would be nice to have a hot August for once but given the choice between last summer and 1995 I would probably choose last year as with a front-loaded summer you can enjoy the higher sun and vibrant foliage more from late May to early July.

Posted
8 hours ago, Scorcher said:

It was certainly a wonderful year for weather fans all round- just a shame that I was a bit young to remember it in detail. I do remember VE day street party celebrations on the playground at school and recall it being scorching.

The run up to VE Day weekend of 1995 was very warm but the Bank Holiday itself, it had cooled down 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

The run up to VE Day weekend of 1995 was very warm but the Bank Holiday itself, it had cooled down 

Yes that makes sense, we would have the school street party during the previous week, no school on the Bank Holiday weekend of course.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Another intriguing facet of this is the way two near-identical charts can produce different results due to the history of the air masses.  On 14/15 May 1995, although the weather under the weak trailing front was similar it was reasonably sunny to both the north and south of it.  This time around it has generally been much cloudier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Kojnas in North West Russia has hit a scorching 31c this afternoon

temp_eur2_deg0.png

Уф! Какой жгучий!:oldgrin:

Posted
6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Уф! Какой жгучий!:oldgrin:

What's causing such synoptics - there is a major transition from heat to freezing cold along the north coast - not large distances.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

What's causing such synoptics - there is a major transition from heat to freezing cold along the north coast - not large distances.

I think it must be due to two completely different air-masses: the north coast is still under what's left of the Polar Vortex but, go a hundred miles' to the south and the hot continental air is in control?

I think that Northern European springs are like a toned-down version of what they get, in parts of the US and Canada...?

Posted

So that's where all the warmth has gone. 

High of 8C expected here tomorrow. Snow is forecast in northern Slovakia.

• Like 1

Posted

really is so typical of our wretched climate,we all  hunt for months on end during the winter for northern blocking,then when spring arrives ,we hardly have any westerly days ,and perfect charts if  you were looking for cold and snow in the winter.

Been like this for years and years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

really is so typical of our wretched climate,we all  hunt for months on end during the winter for northern blocking,then when spring arrives ,we hardly have any westerly days ,and perfect charts if  you were looking for cold and snow in the winter.

way our weather works, April to June is dominated by easterlies, Jul, Aug, and more especially Dec to Feb are dominated by W/SW'lys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Wish it’d warm up! Been a schyte few days here in the Czech Republic, loads of rain (albeit, much needed), not much sun and a really cold, blustery wind. Had my winter jacket on every day. Today was better with more sunshine but cold in the shade with that nagging N’ly wind. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
26 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Wish it’d warm up! Been a schyte few days here in the Czech Republic, loads of rain (albeit, much needed), not much sun and a really cold, blustery wind. Had my winter jacket on every day. Today was better with more sunshine but cold in the shade with that nagging N’ly wind. 

Have you actually moved now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 hours ago, snowray said:

Have you actually moved now?

Yes, moved over in December ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

An early season heatwave has struck parts of Spain and Portugal temperatures peaked at 37.1c on Sunday in Portugal with 36.1c yesterday in Spain

Cooler air will spread into most of western Europe by the end of this week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, moved over in December ??

Good Luck out there, lovely place, my cousins wife is from Czech Republic.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Don’t people often say May is Scotland’s “summer”? The NW often gets good weather at this time of year, sometimes even better than the traditionally warmer SE. 

What’s the meteorological reason behind this? Is it relatively more common to get high pressure anchored further north at this time of year? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, danm said:

Don’t people often say May is Scotland’s “summer”? The NW often gets good weather at this time of year, sometimes even better than the traditionally warmer SE. 

What’s the meteorological reason behind this? Is it relatively more common to get high pressure anchored further north at this time of year? 

Aye, standard setup, high to north, low to south, here is cooler due to E breeze, from mid July, should be other way around, low to north, high to south, Summer over for Scotland, best months for South

Posted

Just thought I"d post this in here from the Scottish thread  as the drought here is really beginning to bite.

High summer again today currently 19c with a bit of a sea breeze.   R.H .of 25% too

Mrs Northernlights retired at at the of March after 38 years teaching and has been working in the garden a lot ,weed control very easy with the very dry surface. Told her its not always so easy to keep clean.

However the extremely dry conditions are starting to slow grass growth domestic grasses will not need cutting again until we get some  rain. and the farm is just like a dust bowl every movement of a tractor raises clouds of dust.

And the wild fire risk is rising fast again     https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-48280002

Edited by Northernlights
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 13/05/2019 at 18:02, SLEETY said:

Indeed not too unusual in more recent years although is a typical winter omega block setup lol. I only think this is a problem since N-W members have been actively hunting winter synoptics in winter online!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
23 hours ago, danm said:

One of my uni friends from Stirling always rated May and June as the best months to visit, for summery weather at least. By August/September it’s supposedly well and truly autumn. Don’t schools go back in August up there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
On 14/05/2019 at 08:08, Summer Sun said:

An early season heatwave has struck parts of Spain and Portugal temperatures peaked at 37.1c on Sunday in Portugal with 36.1c yesterday in Spain

Cooler air will spread into most of western Europe by the end of this week

They can keep it as well. Thankfully those sorts of temperatures are unheard of in Northern England. 

• Like 3