Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted

I don’t mind the variety of weather we have, but once we approach late April, I’m longing for long warm sunny spells. Don’t mind the odd thundery spell thrown in, but days of cloudy dull or damp weather is just depressing when it comes to mid spring. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul said:

Do we have to go through this again?

Some people like rain, some like snow, some like sunshine, heat etc etc etc. It's a personal thing, no-one needs to man-up for not liking rain, no-one needs to get a grip for not liking sun, and so on. 

I'd also recommend having a read of the forum guidelines, as they're pretty clear about this sort of thing..

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

It would be a shame to see people having their posting rights removed over this stuff, as it seems so obvious and straight forward - I mean, what does it matter if someone else likes a different weather type to you anyway? But these petty arguments just poison the atmosphere, and those continuing to do it will end up not being able to post, so please stop now, and think before posting.

Ok point taken. I take Wimbledon 88 and Cheeky’s comments into consideration.

lets all have a beer, but if it’s raining, I’m not sitting with you lot in the beer garden

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

weather forecasters haven't a clue,yesterday they had hull and east Yorkshire with numerous showers this Friday,today they are saying its going to be dry all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Pretty much sums up this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

I just don't want to see the consequences of repeated years of heatwaves and drought during the summer as it will have adverse consequences that many here don't seem to have stopped to consider, I'm afaid to say. 

I'm perfectly happy to accept that we all have different preferences, but it does get a bit much when we cannot get the interior of our Norfolk bungalow (can't manage in a conventional house as I'm in a wheelchair in case anyone tells me it's my fault for not moving) below 30C at night, as happened last year, only for people up north to say they want the south to hit 45-50C just so they can have their barbecues in 30C weather rather than a perfectly enjoyable and usable 25C.  I'm not wishing for his summer to be a frigid washout, just asking for people to accept that it might be nice for us to have a British summer rather than an Arabic one; i.e. some rain (preferably overnight as I agree it's a nuisance during the day) and with cooler (18-20C, not 10-12C) periods to prevent it from hitting 30C for weeks on end.  What those from other parts of the country perhaps don't appreciate is that, this close to the continent, 30C usually comes with 70-75% humidity which is what makes many of us feel ill and prevents us from sleeping; if our humidity stayed as low as I understand it usually does further north, those higher temperatures would be easier to manage as cooling-off would be more straightforward - sweat the heat out and drink to replace it.  Last July, down here, we were sweating but it never seemed to evaporate as it was so humid, which was why it was horrible.  Trust me, 27C and 70% humidity feels much less pleasant than 32C and 40% humidity!  Maybe I'm the weird one; I get it that most people love extreme heat and are happy sunbathing all day (which to me would be about as interesting as watching paint dry), but I'm afraid I'm too old at 38 to change that radically now!

As regards rain, I certainly don't want those areas that have had plenty already to have more, just that those of us who have had few above-average rainfall months in a year now could have some to prevent crop failures (which are not inconceivable in East Anglia if we have another drought summer like last year) and the risk of severe wildfires on our precious heathlands.  Whether we like to admit it or not, parts of my region struggle most years to get more than 550 mm of rain, as compared to many western districts which average between 700-1000 mm.  We aren't too many dry years from trees dying and agriculture as we know it in the UK becoming unsustainable in the East of England - of course, we could adjust eventually to growing olives and raising goats rather than turkeys and swine, but the effects on agriculture in the interim would be massive.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

All I want is seasonable weather with seasonable temperatures. I would like to regular rainfall to come back, not just for me but for the gardeners, growers and farmers.

• Like 4

Posted

After 2 days without rain in the south, the county of Hampshire is beginning to fall into turmoil and chaos.

This morning, I was unable to drive my car across the salt flats to work as all the diesel in the tank had evaporated - thankfully, my recent purchase of a Camel has been a shrewd investment and after applying sixty layers of factor 1 million sun-cream, I was able to brave the relentless sun and cross the scorched wasteland to reach the office.

Ever since the collapse of agriculture in the UK on Monday following 48 hours without substantial rainfall, I have been forced to survive on a diet of rocks and sand which luckily, are prevalent now the rivers have dried up and reservoirs and lakes cease to exist. I spend my days roaming the dry river beds looking for treasures I can sell & trade at outposts for bottles of water.

The rest of the World watches us with despair and sympathy, unable to send aid due to the English Channel and North Sea catching fire. Earth has never known a country so dry, arid and free from rainfall.

Please help us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

After 2 days without rain in the south, the county of Hampshire is beginning to fall into turmoil and chaos.

This morning, I was unable to drive my car across the salt flats to work as all the diesel in the tank had evaporated - thankfully, my recent purchase of a Camel has been a shrewd investment and after applying sixty layers of factor 1 million sun-cream, I was able to brave the relentless sun and cross the scorched wasteland to reach the office.

Ever since the collapse of agriculture in the UK on Monday following 48 hours without substantial rainfall, I have been forced to survive on a diet of rocks and sand which luckily, are prevalent now the rivers have dried up and reservoirs and lakes cease to exist. I spend my days roaming the dry river beds looking for treasures I can sell & trade at outposts for bottles of water.

The rest of the World watches us with despair and sympathy, unable to send aid due to the English Channel and North Sea catching fire. Earth has never known a country so dry, arid and free from rainfall.

Please help us.

I'll remember this for when you're complaining that it's like the Day After Tomorrow when it's 15c in July 

• Like 3

Posted

A cool start to May seems likely. It will still feel warm in any sunshine though 15C feels more like 20C in May when there's no cloud cover.

Edited by Zesyph
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

Please help us.

Try driving in Norfolk,the fog isn't fog its dry soil hanging in the air. Farmers here are praying for rain.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, markyo said:

Try driving in Norfolk,the fog isn't fog its dry soil hanging in the air. Farmers here are praying for rain.

With the collapse of electrical infrastructure and subsequent loss of internet caused by the intense heat melting transformers and powerlines, Azazel receives a carrier-pigeon message from Markyo warning of giant haboobs burying East Anglia in several feet of dust. The citizens of Norwich look at the wandering Nomads of the Atacama Desert with envy. It has been 2 days without frontal rain.

Posted

May (haha) see the first settled may snow since 1997 seen falling snow but nothing settled.

21_30.gif

At least this may looks like keeping those pesky flies away for now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Crikey, cloud movement confusion from 0.40 to 1.20.

Although it's hard to tell as it looks hazy, it might be a good indication of wind shear.

Posted
16 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Although it's hard to tell as it looks hazy, it might be a good indication of wind shear.

Yep, spotted similar while at the Reading beer fest yesterday. You get some crazy erratic cloud movements in the states on high shear chase days, it's almost mesmerising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
17 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Finally a dusting of snow in may min of 1.8c.:oldgrin:

it has snowed every day here since the 25th April..yesterday barely got above freezing all day with snow on and off most of the day..thankfully it seems to have cleared today although high was only 4c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A typical UK bank holiday today a chilly day ahead with rain in the north and even some snow over the high ground

download.thumb.png.ea5919552120523b750bb82dcce4b19f.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I posted in the other thread about how today's synoptics are remarkably similar to those for 14/15 May 1995:

ECMAVGEU00_24_1.thumb.png.f2fb9222ac69a0eaef19983cc8c1f38d.pngERA_1_1995051500_1.thumb.png.af4cbf3064e5c1bb40e8e409a1800e21.png

I remember 14 May 1995 fairly well, when in Tyneside I was under a similar belt of rain to what much of the north-east is having today, it started off as sunshine and showers but with a lot of cloud generally, and then turned into persistent rain during the afternoon and evening.  The synoptic progression from here looks set to continue to be strikingly similar to May 1995 for a while, and in May '95 things switched around on the 20th and we had a week of southerlies after that.  This time around it may well be that we get high pressure building over the UK, rather than to the east, which means it could end up dry and sunny for most in a week's time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I posted in the other thread about how today's synoptics are remarkably similar to those for 14/15 May 1995:

ECMAVGEU00_24_1.thumb.png.f2fb9222ac69a0eaef19983cc8c1f38d.pngERA_1_1995051500_1.thumb.png.af4cbf3064e5c1bb40e8e409a1800e21.png

I remember 14 May 1995 fairly well, when in Tyneside I was under a similar belt of rain to what much of the north-east is having today, it started off as sunshine and showers but with a lot of cloud generally, and then turned into persistent rain during the afternoon and evening.  The synoptic progression from here looks set to continue to be strikingly similar to May 1995 for a while, and in May '95 things switched around on the 20th and we had a week of southerlies after that.  This time around it may well be that we get high pressure building over the UK, rather than to the east, which means it could end up dry and sunny for most in a week's time.

Posted
41 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Great spot, yes the two charts really are incredibly similar. Let's hope the parallels with 1995 continue. Almost seems like things are happening 10 days/a couple of weeks earlier than 1995 with us having the warm spell over the Easter weekend this year in April, whereas it came around the time of the VE day celebrations in 95 (May 8th).

Posted

Anecdotal of course but I’ve seen three house spiders in the space of a week which is more than I saw all autumn/winter when I would normally see them. Wonder if they’re confused at the crappy weather?

Posted
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

Great spot, yes the two charts really are incredibly similar. Let's hope the parallels with 1995 continue. Almost seems like things are happening 10 days/a couple of weeks earlier than 1995 with us having the warm spell over the Easter weekend this year in April, whereas it came around the time of the VE day celebrations in 95 (May 8th).

Yes similiarities abound.. I remember some sleety wet snow falling for a time, I think on the 17th, and it felt very wintry. Don't recall much about the latter part of the month though. First half of June was very cool though, but a major warm up latter third heralding the start of a superb long spell of hot sunny dry weather. Spring 95 was very dry so there are some comparisons with that season as well - there was a notable shortlived summery spell early in May as well as mentioned. 

• Like 1

Posted

Met Office saying tomorrow will be "very warm" - in which reality are they living in?!