Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

2011-2012 bucked the trend in the main, with a mild autumn and mild Dec and January followed by a 2 week cold spell.

I always keep an eye on how the jetstream behaves in the lead up to the solstice, a southerly tracking jet never a good signal for the rest of the summer.

Yeah, but the general trend was for colder winters, but I take your point. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
23 hours ago, matt111 said:

Hasn't reached 20°C here yet this month let alone 25. Of course it did reach 20°C last month at Easter but the highest so far this month is 18.9°C.

Ha. I posted this so the following day it does just that although it only just about managed it. Still looks like I won't reach 25°C this month though, 

Posted

Well in this neck of the woods we can certainly say that we have lost our benign climate in the UK having gone from raging moorland fires and extreme dry to saturated ground in under four days .Its currently  6c too with heavy rain and a north wind .

• Like 2

Posted

It’s warmed up a bit now in the London and south area. I think Monday was the first day where it felt warm and sunny, as opposed to sunny and warm but chilly in the shade last week. 

The evenings are starting to become warmer as well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Interesting statistic: I haven't recorded any overnight lows in double figures this year yet. This could be the latest it's ever happened unless it happens in the next few days. Hopefully, of course, it will do as the weather normally warms up quickly at this time of year. 

Posted
39 minutes ago, Aleman said:

London trying hard to hit 25C today. Heathrow 24.7C at 3pm. St. James Park 23.5C.

A very pleasant 24c in my back garden, low humidity and dp.

Wouldn't mind a blast of heat now if it were to produce some storms, sadly nothing in the output that suggests this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

24c/25c today here in London Town. Beautiful, warm sunny day. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A large fire of One and a half hectares of woodland has broken out in the Wingate area of County Durham 4 fire engines and a water bowser are trying to put it out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Interesting statistic: I haven't recorded any overnight lows in double figures this year yet. This could be the latest it's ever happened unless it happens in the next few days. Hopefully, of course, it will do as the weather normally warms up quickly at this time of year. 

Jan and Feb more likely with raging SW'lys and rain, where as May is much calmer leading to clear skies usually

Posted

Some much-needed rain has arrived this afternoon it's light and steady won't go a massive way but it'll give the lawn a drink if nothing else and hopefully turn it green again for a few day's 

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Some much-needed rain has arrived this afternoon it's light and steady won't go a massive way but it'll give the lawn a drink if nothing else and hopefully turn it green again for a few day's 

Dry as a bone down here and has been for ages.  Watered the lawn today!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

This week's rain has disappeared from the Met Office forecast - Great Eastern desert setting-in this summer.  I expect standpipes by late July at this rate in East Anglia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Progress - we have drizzle!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

This week's rain has disappeared from the Met Office forecast - Great Eastern desert setting-in this summer.  I expect standpipes by late July at this rate in East Anglia.

An exaggeration there - not even a host pipe ban in EA you not going to be using standpipes by July ... !!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Badgers01 said:

An exaggeration there - not even a host pipe ban in EA you not going to be using standpipes by July ... !!

People ignore it when i'm realistic, so I might as well try hyperbole!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
15 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

People ignore it when i'm realistic, so I might as well try hyperbole!

I think there's a disconnect between crops struggling to grow in fields and all those goods that magically come out of thin air, down at the local Tesco?

But, hey, so long as we can keep washing the Saharan dust from our shiny, black 4x4s, everything'll be okay...image.thumb.png.d7bfaa8d86d63b7eb0eaed0adfdceb4d.png

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think there's a disconnect between crops struggling to grow in fields and all those goods that magically come out of thin air, down at the local Tesco?

But, hey, so long as we can keep washing the Saharan dust from our shiny, black 4x4s, everything'll be okay...image.thumb.png.d7bfaa8d86d63b7eb0eaed0adfdceb4d.png

Most western nations seem to experience that disconnect to one degree or another, but I do think the UK is one of the worst for people losing connection with nature and farming.

• Like 3

Posted
49 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Maybe not standpipes (though I seriously think a hosepipe ban is likely), but the following would suggest that things are bad here in East Anglia:

https://www.fwi.co.uk/arable/crop-management/irrigation/drought-measures-increasingly-likely-farmers-warned

• Like 1

Posted

Well, abstraction restrictions were imposed in North Yorkshire 2 months ago and things have deteriorated significantly since. Rivers are very low and flood plain drainage ditches have dried up. They are probably hanging on with further restrictions because we keep getting rain predicted. However, we have had very little actually turn up. Hopefully, this week will be different. I walked past a field of potatoes yesterday. They looked very small compared to the ones in my garden that get adequately fed with a watering can.

https://potatonewstoday.com/2019/04/20/restrictions-on-water-as-drought-fears-mount-in-the-uk/

I don't know what is special about ash trees but there are many that are still nearly bare in the fields, while oak seem to all be in leaf (early?).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/2011/05/oak-before-ash-in-for-a-splash.shtml

• Like 1

Posted

4-day's from summer and it's feeling more like autumn just 10.3c at almost 5pm 

:cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
39 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

30c here today..32c tomorrow 

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Yes it’s quite cool this afternoon, although warm when the sun comes through.

Fed up with the temps dropping back to the high teens again. I want plus 21c everyday from now on. 

A rather feeble 16c this afternoon in London. Bring on the hot spell at the end of the week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
44 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes it’s quite cool this afternoon, although warm when the sun comes through.

Fed up with the temps dropping back to the high teens again. I want plus 21c everyday from now on. 

A rather feeble 16c this afternoon in London. Bring on the hot spell at the end of the week

Wear a coat if it's too cold for you.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Sir Mim said:

Wear a coat if it's too cold for you.

I did wear a jacket. Don’t want to wear a winter jacket now. That’s in the wardrobe until at least mid October. 

• Like 2