Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

I don't understand some of the complaints from some.. The weather has felt decent of late. Its not felt cold. It could be worse that's for sure. Could be feeding cold air all the way from Iceland.Like we have in previous late springs/summers. May 2018 was obviously much better. But its been an acceptable month so far in my opinion

It’s been average, not good, not bad. Warm spells and cool spells. Disappointing compared to previous May’s but nothing remotely out of the ordinary in either aspect. We can’t complain that it’s been good/rubbish when it’s been average.

Posted
27 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

The east of the UK faces the North Sea. so am guessing its felt colder there. But the western part of the UK.its been pleasant enough for the most part.

A couple of nights ago was very cold though. I personally think it could be worse and it has been worse over the years. As for hot weather.Take last year.We had hot spells. But I don't think it was Hot/Hot. It was very settled in the mids 70s for several weeks.

I prefer that kind of weather. Than a hot spell of 27c+ and high humidity  and it only lasting 4 days and then back to cold unsettled regime. I personally would take a just above average temperatures as long as the weather is settled and not much wind.

Which of late. the wind as been gentle. that makes all the difference to the feel of things.

It was hot and breezy, around 25-27, similar to the year before. Last May around my birthday(which is the 24th) was hot and sunny with clear blue skies with a fresh breeze. 2017 was almost identical, but by the 26th of May 2017 the weather in London was still warm, then we had a cooler few days with a short lived thunderstorm on the Sunday night. 

May 26th 2018, after a few days of warm to hot sunny weather and fresh winds, the weather turned hot and humid, then the severe storms arrived. Nights also tend to go from being cool or cold in early May to mild or warm and humid in late May. 

This year feels cooler, but I would expect to see a 25-27c spell before May is out, especially in the London region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

It seems we often get at least one mini heatwave down here in the south with temps over 25c for a few days in May - that has been absent so far ... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I wonder if this will be another year that doesn't get to 25C in May here. It's normally taken a pretty poor May to not achieve it in this neck of the woods, but this May hasn't been THAT bad really, just very moderate in temperature. 2015, 2013, 2011 and 2007 failed to breach 25C then one has to go back to 2000 for the one before. 2005 was heading the same way until the one day wonder when it was nearly 30C on the 27th! Similarly, 2003 was pretty poor until the final four days. Amazingly, the terrible May of 2002 managed another one day wonder above 25C from a brief plume midmonth.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Enjoyed this month so far - nothing overly warm during the day, cool nights. Looks like staying that way for the reliable. Just very pleasant conditions to do everything outdoors without breaking into a sweat. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Today has been the first humid day,not nice at all,hopefully the weekend will bring something better.

• Like 1

Posted

The frosts, record cold Bank holiday, and a bit of sleet in the first week mean it has actually been cold a cold month so far but it's not really felt it outside of a few early days thanks to plenty of sunshine. I had to boost the central heating through the day that first week, then I turned it off.  The last couple of days have seen an evening boost on grey days. So nothing dramatic but a bit cool and sunny overall - good weather for outdoor jobs - but a few of the young plants I put out did not like the dryness and temperature swings.

ncep_cfsr_europe_t2m_anom.png

Edit - not sure why the image is not showing the month to date which has most of the UK at 0.5-1.5C below the 1981-2010 mean but it seems to click through to the correct image.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Enjoyed this month so far - nothing overly warm during the day, cool nights. Looks like staying that way for the reliable. Just very pleasant conditions to do everything outdoors without breaking into a sweat. 

It's nice to just have something a little more typical for the time of year, rather than the extraordinary warmth of February and April.  Here's to a nice, forgettable summer!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

I wonder if this will be another year that doesn't get to 25C in May here. It's normally taken a pretty poor May to not achieve it in this neck of the woods

Interesting stat. I haven't managed to hit 25°C in 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Posted

I’ll be happy to have some warm evenings and less of a chill. I know the benefits of cooler weather is better air quality and better sleeping conditions, but I’m looking forward to seeing a few weeks of warm or hot weather, should we get it. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Interesting stat. I haven't managed to hit 25°C in 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

I guess the onshore nature of those warm winds didn’t help your location. The occurrences of 25C in 2017, 2016, 2014, 2008, 2006 and 2005 all came from southeasterlies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Hasn't reached 20°C here yet this month let alone 25. Of course it did reach 20°C last month at Easter but the highest so far this month is 18.9°C.

Posted
17 hours ago, MP-R said:

I wonder if this will be another year that doesn't get to 25C in May here. It's normally taken a pretty poor May to not achieve it in this neck of the woods, but this May hasn't been THAT bad really, just very moderate in temperature. 2015, 2013, 2011 and 2007 failed to breach 25C then one has to go back to 2000 for the one before. 2005 was heading the same way until the one day wonder when it was nearly 30C on the 27th! Similarly, 2003 was pretty poor until the final four days. Amazingly, the terrible May of 2002 managed another one day wonder above 25C from a brief plume midmonth.

Yes we often record 25C here too in May. Even cooler Mays such as 2010 still manage it a lot of the time. The North West seems to be quite favoured in May- even easterlies have delivered 25C in May here.

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Hardly surprising given your location- in a lot of May warm spells the wind will be from the south or south east meaning you have a breeze off a still cold English channel.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

1987, 2007 were similar, and 1984. All years had warm Aprils, followed by cool Mays. 84 was a hot summer, 07 and 87 were poor.

2003 is another example of a warm April followed by a cool May. That wasn't a bad summer either!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I wouldn't call May 2003 cool. CET was 12.1C

Yes you're right, not a particulary good comparison but this month will probably end up close to average in the end too.

Posted

Last occasions of an above April followed by a below average May in terms of the CET was 2015 and before that 2010 but it depends on how you compare it against their averages, 

May 2007 wasn't cool overall not with a CET of 11.9C, shows you how "warm" it was before the cooler end during the last week of that May. 

Posted

Easter Sunday still the warmest day of the year here - it’s quite unusual to have the top temp of April to be ahead of May - I guess it can still change but nothing showing yet that it will top 25c before the month is out ... 

often feel May should at least have a mini heat wave in it if we are to get a good summer so for me still not convinced that this summer will be anything other than ordinary..?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Easter Sunday still the warmest day of the year here - it’s quite unusual to have the top temp of April to be ahead of May - I guess it can still change but nothing showing yet that it will top 25c before the month is out ... 

often feel May should at least have a mini heat wave in it if we are to get a good summer so for me still not convinced that this summer will be anything other than ordinary..?

I don’t think may 84 had any hot weather, although I vaguely recall a warm sunny spell in London, but I was only 8 at the time. That summer was a good one, so a poor May doesn’t always determine the following summer weather pattern. 

I still feel poor weather after mid June usually leads to a poor summer. 

Posted

I agree about poor May in its entirety - I feel there is often an isolated spell of a couple of days of warm southerly weather as a taster - and so for that has been missing ... 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

I agree about poor May in its entirety - I feel there is often an isolated spell of a couple of days of warm southerly weather as a taster - and so for that has been missing ... 

If this pattern continues beyond June, and we go end up with an average summer or poor one, could this then lead to a cooler winter?

i know that’s not always the case, but that was he trend in the 2008-12 period.

• Like 2

Posted

I think the relative warmth of May 2003 and 2007 were primarily down to higher minima given the very westerly nature of both months. Days were cool however. 2007 in particular I remember Ten Tors being affected due to the cold sodden conditions and the late May bank holiday was awful with a max of just 10C on the Sunday. There was a marked improvement in the first half of June though.

Posted
11 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

If this pattern continues beyond June, and we go end up with an average summer or poor one, could this then lead to a cooler winter?

i know that’s not always the case, but that was he trend in the 2008-12 period.

2011-2012 bucked the trend in the main, with a mild autumn and mild Dec and January followed by a 2 week cold spell.

I always keep an eye on how the jetstream behaves in the lead up to the solstice, a southerly tracking jet never a good signal for the rest of the summer.