Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
1 hour ago, SunnyDazee said:

I very much doubt it’s gonna be very wet. It’s false hope anyways for people who want it to be wet. CFS models, which get slated but have recently been very accurate have mid to late May, June and July looking fantastic, August warm and wet, September warm and October relatively warm. A lot has changed since 2007 anyways. That was a once in a generational event. Heatwaves are far more likely than mass floods in the summer nowadays

Looking bloody awful more like!  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.
54 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

Looking bloody awful more like!  

Early May looks awful. Not late May and certainly not June from my perspective anyways! If you’d like it cold then I suggest cold showers lol that’s how I get about it. Honestly though that cool breeze we had today made it pleasant. I just think there’s nothing like getting into the Wimbledon and hot weather spirit in summer personally but obviously that’s my preferance

Edited by SunnyDazee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

How on earth people can enjoy cold and rainy weather is beyond me.  What do people actually do outdoors when it's raining and cold?  I can understand people not wanting blazingly hot sunshine for weeks on end but to want cold and wet weather, I struggle to understand.

Edited by Earthshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

why would you want a very wet summer?

cannot understand anyone wanting rain, From about Wimbledon time to mid-late Aug, rain gives me a bad chest, fungal spore allergy

the warmer and drier the better

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

cannot understand anyone wanting rain, From about Wimbledon time to mid-late Aug, rain gives me a bad chest, fungal spore allergy

the warmer and drier the better

The cold kills a lot more than the warm, I agree. I can see why people would want it cool but cold all year? That’s not for me. Each to their own though and that’s why all the opinions on here make it a cracking place to be. May it be 50 degrees and snowing everyone!!!

Posted

Happy to report the ground is looking quite normal, grass is green, foliage is green, rivers haven’t ceased to exist, birds are not falling out of the sky and there’s no shortage of water or scorched earth in this part of Hampshire following the last few days pleasant warmth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Surely that's down to individual preference? I understand why folk like a hot long summer but a wet Summer for me would be much more bearable,less heat,less hayfever. We are all different,not weird or strange just different.

doesn't always mean less heat..August 2004 was very wet..but also very warm and humid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Each to their own folks. You can express your preferences without criticising others!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

How on earth people can enjoy cold and rainy weather is beyond me.  What do people actually do outdoors when it's raining and cold?  I can understand people not wanting blazingly hot sunshine for weeks on end but to want cold and wet weather, I struggle to understand.

What do people do when it's hot?  Sit under a fan all day trying to keep cool, tossing and turning trying to get to sleep at night, or sitting in the shade with their sun hat and sunglasses, "enjoying" the sun while doing their best to keep in the shade?  

Or maybe, just maybe, some of us are not at all outdoorsy types and just want to not be sweating profusely while going about our daily activities...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

What do people do when it's hot?  Sit under a fan all day trying to keep cool, tossing and turning trying to get to sleep at night, or sitting in the shade with their sun hat and sunglasses, "enjoying" the sun while doing their best to keep in the shade?  

Or maybe, just maybe, some of us are not at all outdoorsy types and just want to not be sweating profusely while going about our daily activities...

Or just maybe, not everyone sweats profusely when it's hot and the sun comes out. Two sides to each coin. One plus side of cold wet weather of course is I feel less guilty picking computer work over outdoor fitness... 

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, SunnyDazee said:

I very much doubt it’s gonna be very wet. It’s false hope anyways for people who want it to be wet. CFS models, which get slated but have recently been very accurate have mid to late May, June and July looking fantastic, August warm and wet, September warm and October relatively warm. A lot has changed since 2007 anyways. That was a once in a generational event. Heatwaves are far more likely than mass floods in the summer nowadays

We had a run of wet summers between 2007 and 2012, not just 2007, but yes there has been a shift in recent years to much drier warmer and sunnier, how long this lasts remains to be seen, Summer 2015, 2016 and 2017 mind were not much to write home about. Two very good summers have occurred back to back as follows:

1975/1976

1983/1984 (1983 was July really though only)

1989/1990

1994/1995 (94 was wet and very warm)

2003/2004 (04 wet and very warm again)

20013/2014

2018/2019?

Back to Spring now, I'm not a fan of prolonged dry sunny warm weather in April, in some years such as 87, 07 and 11 it has been followed by a lengthy very poor spell of weather. Not saying this will happen this year but its an ominous signal. Much rather have such weather in May.

One feature of the last 12 months has been a very weak ineffectual atlantic, that seems to die of death after a couple of weeks of trying to get into third/fourth gear.. low solar minima I feel could be a significant factor. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

i turn on the AC tis a joyous thing

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i turn on the AC tis a joyous thing

Eugh

Edited by Sir Mim
  • Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

Eugh

I don’t have AC, I just enjoy sweating to high heaven whilst eating ice cream and sitting in the garden. Cold showers help if it gets too hot. However I do like a good old barby too, something you can’t have in a wet summer. Finally, I do like being able to travel out and about without having to worry about the rain. I’d much rather have it so it was 20-25 degrees and warm like this week all year around, but I’d also much rather prefer 35 degree heatwaves than 15 degrees cool summers. Don’t even get me started on Winter!

• Like 1

Posted

Is the met office contingency website down for people? Could possibly be adding the May to July 3 month outlook. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/services/public-sector/contingency-planners?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Weatherdesk_Enquiries

Posted
22 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Yes it’s very weird. Especially when this country gets so much of the cold damp wet chilly variety between mid October to late March/ early April. Even during mild winters, like the one just gone, there were plenty of coolish and cold damp days. Had enough of that weather until next September or October time. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, SunnyDazee said:

I don’t have AC, I just enjoy sweating to high heaven whilst eating ice cream and sitting in the garden. Cold showers help if it gets too hot. However I do like a good old barby too, something you can’t have in a wet summer. Finally, I do like being able to travel out and about without having to worry about the rain. I’d much rather have it so it was 20-25 degrees and warm like this week all year around, but I’d also much rather prefer 35 degree heatwaves than 15 degrees cool summers. Don’t even get me started on Winter!

Same here. I’ll take a 2018 summer over the rubbish of 1985-88 or 2007-12 summers. All of those were damp and cool.

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, damianslaw said:

We had a run of wet summers between 2007 and 2012, not just 2007, but yes there has been a shift in recent years to much drier warmer and sunnier, how long this lasts remains to be seen, Summer 2015, 2016 and 2017 mind were not much to write home about. Two very good summers have occurred back to back as follows:

1975/1976

1983/1984 (1983 was July really though only)

1989/1990

1994/1995 (94 was wet and very warm)

2003/2004 (04 wet and very warm again)

20013/2014

2018/2019?

Back to Spring now, I'm not a fan of prolonged dry sunny warm weather in April, in some years such as 87, 07 and 11 it has been followed by a lengthy very poor spell of weather. Not saying this will happen this year but its an ominous signal. Much rather have such weather in May.

One feature of the last 12 months has been a very weak ineffectual atlantic, that seems to die of death after a couple of weeks of trying to get into third/fourth gear.. low solar minima I feel could be a significant factor. 

A warm dry sunny April in 1984 wasn’t followed by a cool wet summer. 84 was hot and 2003 had a decent April if memory serves me well, but I take your point about 1987,2007 and 2011 being followed by poor summers. I still feel 2019 won’t be as hot or sunny as 18, but not as poor as anything between 2007-12, but perhaps on a level with say 1994, giving us one hot month(August this time).

Just a guess. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Really looking forward to this change in the weather,long over due! Many areas are now suffering due to the lack of rain,more fires in 2019 all ready than in the whole of 2018, and its only April. Hopefully this Atlantic driven weather will last well into May.

• Like 3

Posted

Hopefully this Atlantic dross will jog on quickly and we can enjoy more blazing sunshine and blue skies until September with plenty of plumes.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Hopefully some proper weather on the way for weather enthusiasts to enjoy. 

Not endless boring blue skies and sunshine. 

I actually like long periods of blue skies and dry weather. This unsettled period is a nuisance for someone like myself who works outside from time to time. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Hopefully this Atlantic dross will jog on quickly and we can enjoy more blazing sunshine and blue skies until September with plenty of plumes.

Yeah hopefully. 21c to 28c or above with endless sunny spells until September suits me fine

I can’t understand why people want us to return to those dull depressing summers of the late 2000s early 2010s.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I actually like long periods of blue skies and dry weather. This unsettled period is a nuisance for someone like myself who works outside from time to time. 

I work outside most of the time mate. 

Bit of rain and wind never done anyone any harm. Folk need to man up on here. 

• Like 3

Posted

Do we have to go through this again?

Some people like rain, some like snow, some like sunshine, heat etc etc etc. It's a personal thing, no-one needs to man-up for not liking rain, no-one needs to get a grip for not liking sun, and so on. 

I'd also recommend having a read of the forum guidelines, as they're pretty clear about this sort of thing..

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

It would be a shame to see people having their posting rights removed over this stuff, as it seems so obvious and straight forward - I mean, what does it matter if someone else likes a different weather type to you anyway? But these petty arguments just poison the atmosphere, and those continuing to do it will end up not being able to post, so please stop now, and think before posting.

• Like 4