Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Lovely Good Friday

Splendid day indeed.

And for those not so keen with this weather its back to average from Wednesday, with some beefy showers moving north. Highest temps in the

south of England...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Glorious weather at the moment - 20 degrees here yesterday and between 17 and 20 degrees for the next four days! ☀️

I would love this current weather for all of May along with thunderstorms! 

Wonderful sunsets from my window the past few days! 

81E97BED-171D-4023-85D1-81002D08ED11.thumb.jpeg.ed0028be712225d45ead9d299e05c91b.jpeg

705A12CC-5D1F-44B5-B86F-DCA3899392DB.thumb.jpeg.71f73a4a118ba3443aa8fc6a6ea51090.jpeg

Spring really is the best season for me - 19 days ago this was the view...

EBBD5670-C3B2-496B-B228-8C13FD994D3C.thumb.jpeg.5f0c515cab36bc2076954a1b06ab07ae.jpeg

Have a good Easter everyone! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely weather,much hotter and it becomes uncomfortable for folk like myself. For once i can't complain but we do need a prolonged rain,levels are just far to low for this time of year,the tops of the Pennies look like its mid August last year for goodness sake!

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Ilkley Moor fire is spreading

Sadly this will become common,sooner than folk think,the lack of rain especially on the higher ground is causing problems and we are only in April. Sheep farmers are using hay stock for goodness sake,the vegetation is that poor. Praying for that pattern change now,the thought of this weather spreading into May and June is not good at all. Don't get me wrong the weather this Easter is fantastic,if this was the max temp with clear blue skies all summer i would be in heaven,but the need for that wet stuff from the sky is now becoming a big issue.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 16/04/2019 at 15:13, cheeky_monkey said:

it is a moan thread though?

My original post was in reply to a post in the Model thread. It shouldn't have ended up in here... Indeed this is exactly where one should moan about the weather.

Posted
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sadly this will become common,sooner than folk think,the lack of rain especially on the higher ground is causing problems and we are only in April. Sheep farmers are using hay stock for goodness sake,the vegetation is that poor. Praying for that pattern change now,the thought of this weather spreading into May and June is not good at all. Don't get me wrong the weather this Easter is fantastic,if this was the max temp with clear blue skies all summer i would be in heaven,but the need for that wet stuff from the sky is now becoming a big issue.

Praying won't help. Adjusting lifestyle, just might, at the end of the day.

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, ciel said:

Praying won't help. Adjusting lifestyle, just might, at the end of the day.

Totally agree,very well put. We all need to do more,taking care of this home we have floating in space is a priority.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Thursday onwards has certainly felt like a step change in the spring so far, even the wind is warm and it's hard to escape work and feel cooler outside. The nights have gotten nice towards early morning but it's still warm into the evening. 

All in all a pleasant spell. 

Posted
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Thursday onwards has certainly felt like a step change in the spring so far, even the wind is warm and it's hard to escape work and feel cooler outside. The nights have gotten nice towards early morning but it's still warm into the evening. 

All in all a pleasant spell. 

The last couple of nights have actually been well below average here with thick fog and ground frosts. Yesterday we had a min of 1.6C and today 1.7C. Its quite strange having to scrape the car in the morning but it being 20C in the afternoon. Almost unheard of in these parts.

We went from 1.7C to 20.0C today, a diurnal range of 18.3C. That's actually a record back to 1980, beating the 18.2C range set on 23rd April 2011.

Posted

Just goes to show how cold it still can be in the evenings and early mornings in April, despite having a warm spell. 

I don’t think the really warm weather fully establishes itself until mid May. This is usually the first part of the year where we start to notice the evenings becoming much warmer. Even May can have some coolish nights. 

Posted

3 hours ago, reef said:

The last couple of nights have actually been well below average here with thick fog and ground frosts. Yesterday we had a min of 1.6C and today 1.7C. Its quite strange having to scrape the car in the morning but it being 20C in the afternoon. Almost unheard of in these parts.

We went from 1.7C to 20.0C today, a diurnal range of 18.3C. That's actually a record back to 1980, beating the 18.2C range set on 23rd April 2011.

Not seen any frost or fog here (less rural i suppose) but yeah, i can image there's a good durinal range albeit i preferred it early in the week when we had a stronger wind chill.

Large durinal ranges (indicative of low humidity) are one of the reasons i enjoy spring heat more than summer and look very fondly on March 12, April 07 and May 08/18 despite all three being not far off at least rolling records in the month. 

2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Just goes to show how cold it still can be in the evenings and early mornings in April, despite having a warm spell. 

I don’t think the really warm weather fully establishes itself until mid May. This is usually the first part of the year where we start to notice the evenings becoming much warmer. Even May can have some coolish nights. 

I would actually say that July is when that happens. There have been several occasions such as June 11, 16 and 18 where relatively hot spells have featured very low humidity to the feel and therefore cool nights.

July-September for me tends to be worse because just about any heat is met with melting humidity. I will accept anomolies like July 13 which for three weeks was actually pretty low in humidity terms.

Last summer here for example was brilliant until July 10th but awful afterwards. The key difference being that beforehand it was too hot at times but always felt dry with respectable minima, afterwards the humid feel picked up significantly.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Aye, nights still long, generally late April/early May much cooler inside than Aug/Sept, still cool inside after the winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

Well, some absolutely rank weather coming up later this week which will make some people very happy.

Your 'rank' is what I'd call delightful. 

LP over and around the UK over the warm months is much more interesting from a purely meteorological perspective than a great big displaced Azores HP. 

Potential for convection etc that was sorely lacking last year. Not only was every bit of vegetation charred to a crisp, the weather was mind numbingly tedious day after day. 

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted

Looking a tad better rain wise from mid week onwards and into next weekend,fingers crossed some good and welcome rain fall totals may occur. A more seasonal spell is long long overdue.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

More than 50 firefighters are battling to bring a blaze under control on the Mourne Mountains in County Down.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service received a report that a fire had broken out in Donard Forest at 20:30 BST on Sunday. The fire front is a mile long and efforts to bring it under control is expected to last into Monday morning.

A total of eight appliances are at the scene. Guests at Bonny's Caravan Park near to where the fire is have been evacuated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48007613

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Apocalyptic footage shows shock devastation in wake of Guisborough Forest fire

Apocalyptic drone footage lays bare the devastation waged by wildfires in Guisborough Forest. Captured just hours after last Saturday's major fire, it shows huge swathes of the forest completely destroyed.

Firefighters spent seven hours battling flames, with six appliances and two off-road vehicles deployed in a bid to stem the damage. Sadly, trees and bushes could not escape the ravages of the flames, with entire sections destroyed

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/apocalyptic-footage-shows-shock-devastation-16161257

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Well, some absolutely rank weather coming up later this week which will make some people very happy.

Aye, certainly not me, some will be loving the models like Summer Sun etc, with 4 weeks of autumnal crap on the way

Think I'm in the minority though disliking unsettled weather, only 3 I think on this forum prefer settled to unsettled, me, Scorcher and you (azazel)

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

The only comfort so far for me, amid this sunny and overly warm weather, is the fact that both the Aprils of 2007 and 2012 were sunny and warm, and were followed by very wet summers.

Here's hoping for a repeat this year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

The only comfort so far for me, amid this sunny and overly warm weather, is the fact that both the Aprils of 2007 and 2012 were sunny and warm, and were followed by very wet summers.

Here's hoping for a repeat this year.

why would you want a very wet summer?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.
23 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I very much doubt it’s gonna be very wet. It’s false hope anyways for people who want it to be wet. CFS models, which get slated but have recently been very accurate have mid to late May, June and July looking fantastic, August warm and wet, September warm and October relatively warm. A lot has changed since 2007 anyways. That was a once in a generational event. Heatwaves are far more likely than mass floods in the summer nowadays

Posted
30 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Surely that's down to individual preference? I understand why folk like a hot long summer but a wet Summer for me would be much more bearable,less heat,less hayfever. We are all different,not weird or strange just different.

• Like 1