Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
20 minutes ago, March said:

Bring on the Zonal. I detest defrosting my car every morning, even during this spell!

At least the plants won’t be zapped.

Posted
22 minutes ago, March said:

Bring on the Zonal. I detest defrosting my car every morning, even during this spell!

That's what march is known for march winds and then april showers.

It will be a refreshing change could do with some rain anyway,ground is already hard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On 24/02/2019 at 14:42, Sir Mim said:

Cold weather makes me feel alive.  Nothing better than going out without a coat on on a nice cold dry day.  I'm a joyous cold lover, it's the heat that makes me miserable.

Totally agree,for me the heat is vile uncomfortable misery. A crisp winters morning always will win hands down...but its each to their own though.. Some do like the heat,personally i have no idea why but respect should be shown on both sides,something which i'm afraid at times is in short supply on these forums.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

That's what march is known for march winds and then april showers.

It will be a refreshing change could do with some rain anyway,ground is already hard.

I just like the light levels and new growth of March. If it can also be mild that’s great but despite my moaning at scraping the car, spring wouldn’t be spring without a few crisp frosty mornings! It’s the second coldest season after all. 

Posted
3 hours ago, cheese said:

At least the plants won’t be zapped.

Tbh I have a canary island date palm and a few other tenders that have done very well this winter. Weirdly since I began keeping records a few years ago this winter has had my lowest min and highest max! The palm has thought nothing of the odd -7C. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, March said:

Tbh I have a canary island date palm and a few other tenders that have done very well this winter. Weirdly since I began keeping records a few years ago this winter has had my lowest min and highest max! The palm has thought nothing of the odd -7C. 

They are hardy to around -7C so that’s unsurprising. There are a few gardens around here with canary island date palms and they’re doing very well.

There are also two quite sizeable ones in Leeds city centre. The urban heat island will help.

45647746994_d211159a53.jpg

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I've absolutely loved this weather recently. In fact, overall, February will have been a very interesting month, albeit not in the ways I would've originally liked. Very snowy start, an unusual spell of Atlantic wind in the first week and thunder on the 08th, then a very mild/warm and springlike second two thirds. Also notable is how sunny it's been, and with tomorrow's sunshine, could pip last February's sunshine amount (so far my sunniest one recorded).

Going forward, it's hardly surprising seeing the Atlantic turn up a gear into March, nothing unusual there. I'm just hoping it's of the bright and showery nature with convective cloudscapes and sunny intervals rather than the cloud-fests that some showery airstreams can be. A few model runs have even shown gales to rival those of November and December. It'll certainly be a shock to the system come Friday.

Posted
8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I've absolutely loved this weather recently. In fact, overall, February will have been a very interesting month, albeit not in the ways I would've originally liked. Very snowy start, an unusual spell of Atlantic wind in the first week and thunder on the 08th, then a very mild/warm and springlike second two thirds. Also notable is how sunny it's been, and with tomorrow's sunshine, could pip last February's sunshine amount (so far my sunniest one recorded).

Going forward, it's hardly surprising seeing the Atlantic turn up a gear into March, nothing unusual there. I'm just hoping it's of the bright and showery nature with convective cloudscapes and sunny intervals rather than the cloud-fests that some showery airstreams can be. A few model runs have even shown gales to rival those of November and December. It'll certainly be a shock to the system come Friday.

I thought March was a pretty settled month on average as the Atlantic dies down.. Feb-May is the driest period of the year here.

Gales - the last thing I want to see now. We have two pairs of magpies and wood pigeons busily building their nests in nearby trees. Would be dreadful to see their hard work destroyed.

Edited by cheese

Posted
39 minutes ago, cheese said:

They are hardy to around -7C so that’s unsurprising. There are a few gardens around here with canary island date palms and they’re doing very well.

There are also two quite sizeable ones in Leeds city centre. The urban heat island will help.

45647746994_d211159a53.jpg

I don't benefit from an UHI being in the sticks but it's quite dry here and I've read not to mollycoddle them too much, so it's just in a pot with a bit of bubble wrap around the pot and watered occasionally. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
11 minutes ago, cheese said:

I thought March was a pretty settled month on average as the Atlantic dies down.. Feb-May is the driest period of the year here.

Gales - the last thing I want to see now. We have two pairs of magpies and wood pigeons busily building their nests in nearby trees. Would be dreadful to see their hard work destroyed.

Generally not, no, at least not during the first half. Often takes until later in the month to settle down. Of course there are sometimes exceptions like 2012 or 2010 (which was settled first half but unsettled second half).

Some March gales from years gone by - even 2003 had gales in the first week, but in most cases, the second half of the month was more settled.

archives-2015-3-2-12-0.png archives-2015-3-28-12-0.png archives-2011-3-10-0-0.png archives-2009-3-8-12-0.png archives-2008-3-10-12-0.png archives-2007-3-6-0-0.png archives-2004-3-20-12-0.png archives-2003-3-7-12-0.png

Quite agree though, it would be nice to avoid gales now, especially seeing as so many trees are blossoming.

Posted

What a glorious few days here in NW London.  I have actually managed to sunbathe for 5 straight days in February, which is just astounding considering even in April I would be lucky to get a day!! 

I am just grateful this weather pattern didnt happen in mid summer as it would have been horrifically hot!!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

yeah, the weather has gone nuts.. we may as well enjoy it.

from sunbathing to snow in the space of a week... well you never know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

TWO spring forecast

Spring 2019: Warmer than average

Forecast overview

The forecast headline is for a warmer than average spring in all regions. Rainfall levels are expected to be close to the average over the three month period.

Temperature

Above the 30 year average taken over the three month period as a whole.

Precipitation

Rainfall levels are forecast to be close to average.

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk-seasonal-weather-forecast

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

TWO spring forecast

No surprises with that forecast and looks reasonable to me.

Posted

well they forecast a cold winter and got that hopelessly wrong so probably end up a colder spring than average 

Posted
16 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

well they forecast a cold winter and got that hopelessly wrong so probably end up a colder spring than average 

They did forecast a cold winter but with the caveat that it could easily turn out to be very mild with little middle ground.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Looks similar to the Met Office contingency planners output to me.  That is very bullish on temperatures but unsure on precipitation.   As regards late spring, and into summer, all options remain on the table, but pride of place are the hotter ones, which includes hot dry heat like last year, but also a more humid, thundery plumey sort of heat the likes of which we haven't seen in some considerable time.   

Very interesting to which the seasonal models over the next few months to see if a firm forecast for summer can be made this year.

Posted

Spring will balance itself out I expect but this month looks very zonal making up for winter by the looks even though march has only come in like a lamb today.

April cold and wet with much more blocking,may much warmer much more easterlies to this month.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow warning issued

20:42 Today 02:00 Tomorrow

Snow settling over hills and higher routes may cause some disruption.

What to expect

Some roads and railways likely to be affected with longer journey times by road, bus and train services

Spells of snow will affect some areas of higher ground above 200 to 300 metres during Sunday evening and night before clearing by dawn. Some areas at lower levels may see some sleet or wet snow at times, but settling of snow will tend to be restricted to areas above 200 to 300 metres. Some icy patches may also develop later in the night.

Regions and local authorities affected:

North East England

• Darlington
  • Durham
  • Middlesbrough
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • North West England
  • Cumbria
  • Lancashire

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

• Dumfries and Galloway
  • Scottish Borders

Yorkshire & Humber

• North Yorkshire

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-03-03&id=5edd5d35-63f0-4551-b917-7ef0e3586d5e&details

• Like 2

Posted

Is it really snowing between Liverpool and Manchester? That's low down and it looks too warm but there has been numerous episodes on western hills today  Snow on Dartmoor, too, if radar is correct. Just what you'd expect after a February that broke heat records! We've had a little hail recently but it's still up at 8C.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Posted

My internal weather clock switched from cold to warm during last month's warm spell. The thought of any more cold now makes me want to cry!     

Come on Azores high, do your thing!!!

Edited by Nizzer

Posted

You won't see the Azores high for months now, it' did its damage during the winter and made all the forecasters who   said we would have a cold winter have egg on their faces. 

• Like 1