Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The sun strong enough to feel and a breeze strong enough to chill.

Bird song and cloudless skies.

The weather today is absolutely divine.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Very depressing temps for this time of year,its like nature hasn't seasons any longer. Believe it or not we need the cold,this winter has done nothing. The prospect of a warm Spring followed by a hot Summer fills me with dread,fingers crossed the Atlantic will bring much needed rain soon. Sadly i was right a month ago to right this Winter off. I wish i hadn't been.

Posted
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

Very depressing temps for this time of year,its like nature hasn't seasons any longer. Believe it or not we need the cold,this winter has done nothing. The prospect of a warm Spring followed by a hot Summer fills me with dread,fingers crossed the Atlantic will bring much needed rain soon. Sadly i was right a month ago to right this Winter off. I wish i hadn't been.

Fingers crossed it grows increasingly warm until at least Xmas. Ground is mushy and sodden here and Winter was plenty cold enough.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Fingers crossed it grows increasingly warm until at least Xmas. Ground is mushy and sodden here and Winter was plenty cold enough.

I appreciate that,your area had the only real Winter weather this year. But much of that sodden earth is just that,the water levels are still to low. I don't want a washout,far from it,but a balance would be in my opinion a more favourable outcome.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Jamstec has updated for February

It's going for a drier than average spring with temps a bit below average (maybe a bit above average for some parts of Scotland)

temp2_glob.MAM2019.1feb2019.thumb.gif.459d4e772309fe8a50b03f414a92c700.giftprep_glob.MAM2019.1feb2019.thumb.gif.09d84ebe291433679a1c6b642d8ad071.gif

_________________________________________________________________________________________

A sneak peek at summer and Feb's update goes warmer and drier than average

temp2_glob.JJA2019.1feb2019.thumb.gif.b90bd932449cf7dbf24bb1ed54b8e183.giftprep_glob.JJA2019.1feb2019.thumb.gif.b49bff5ed5a18710d42df3a93a598e56.gif

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
5 hours ago, Azazel said:

This kind of weather lulls you into a false sense of security.

Gloriously warm from like midday onwards, then as soon as the sun sets it's absolutely frigid.

when it gets below -30c like it is here right now then its absolutely frigid

Posted
50 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Last year it took until April to get above 17c in the UK this year we've managed it on February 15th!

.........And last years April and summer was warm/v warm hot and dry, so not a good omen for a repeat!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
46 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

.........And last years April and summer was warm/v warm hot and dry, so not a good omen for a repeat!

If we did get something similar to last summer then we could be looking at serious issues with water supplies given the lack of rain over winter

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Never ever trust good weather at this time of year imo. Can mean the weather has a few tricks up its sleeve and the seemingly early arrival of spring being just a feint .

Posted
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

If we did get something similar to last summer then we could be looking at serious issues with water supplies given the lack of rain over winter

Anything is possible with the weather, have a feeling though that HLB will arrive at the 'wrong' time....

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

If we get a dry spring the lack of water will be a problem this month is looking dry as well so we need the pattern to change. Will probably wait until Summer and then do a 2007 on us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
52 minutes ago, sundog said:

Never ever trust good weather at this time of year imo. Can mean the weather has a few tricks up its sleeve and the seemingly early arrival of spring being just a feint .

You had to go back to the 19th century to find a year ending in 8 that had a warm summer. Then 2018 came along.

Everything will ultimately average out eventually but the weather doesn’t follow quotas or rules. Also, if our climate is indeed changing then what ‘average’ looks like will ultimately change too.

Edited by cheese

Posted
33 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Beeb saying 18c could be hit next weekend

5757.thumb.png.8528436321713fb9648a8913e61ae34e.png

If there are any doubts that Betts is not a mild ramper they must be dispelled by now. 

Crikey, this weekend isn't over and he is going on about next weekend?  Surely that can't be a normal weather broadcast? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

If there are any doubts that Betts is not a mild ramper they must be dispelled by now. 

Crikey, this weekend isn't over and he is going on about next weekend?  Surely that can't be a normal weather broadcast? 

Yes a bit far out, I think next weekend will be a lot cooler with more of a SE breeze, and possible frost, if skies clear, that forecast could look silly

Posted
5 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yes a bit far out, I think next weekend will be a lot cooler with more of a SE breeze, and possible frost, if skies clear, that forecast could look silly

I can't see this unless something dramatic changes, I think it is going to very mild next weekend. Frost is never out of the question of course but in February temperatures can recover very well by day- we saw this in 2008 with some big diurnal ranges. Here is an example- this setup produced temps widely in the mid teens but also temps below freezing overnight.

Rrea00120080212.gif

The ECM looks very mild indeed and looks like a southerly flow to me as opposed to SE.  The setup being shown by the ECM is better than anything we saw in 2008 I think.

Posted
On 23/01/2019 at 22:51, coldie said:

Not really bothered tbh, if I waant to go to the beach i'll go abroad, if I want a cold one I'll go to the pub and as for the bbqs they're overrated 

You sound like the life and soul of the party lol. 

I will agree with you about one thing though, I don’t really like BBQs. 

Posted

I would like a warm and sunny summer after this winter. Even if the weather has been mild at times, we’ve had plenty of chilly days and quite a number of cloudy dreary days, that you usually associate with a uk winter. 

I wouldn’t want a cool cloudy damp summer, because it’s very depressing. 

No 2012 or 2008, 2007 summers please. They were the worst.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I can't see this unless something dramatic changes, I think it is going to very mild next weekend. Frost is never out of the question of course but in February temperatures can recover very well by day- we saw this in 2008 with some big diurnal ranges. Here is an example- this setup produced temps widely in the mid teens but also temps below freezing overnight.

Rrea00120080212.gif

The ECM looks very mild indeed and looks like a southerly flow to me as opposed to SE.  The setup being shown by the ECM is better than anything we saw in 2008 I think.

On Friday we had a low just below freezing and a high of 16C. This is a good time of year for large diurnal ranges.

Also, don’t forget March 2012 which widely had days going from freezing to 20C+. 

Edited by cheese

Posted

Summer 2007 wasn’t to bad in the east with many sunny periods interspersed between the wet periods. I wouldn’t mind that. In fact I think the continued meridianal flow will continue with being a solar min year. It might even be a plume summer if we get the block to the east. Another point is about the qbo. If it was east then I would be going for west based ridges through the Atlantic but that’s not the case this year so another bonus in my book.

Edited by Matthew.

Posted

We work outside in the gardens, so a wetter summer like 2007 or 12 would be awful. We lost about 3 weeks work between May and August in those years and it made a big impact financially. It meant we had to work on the weekends during September and October in those years just to make up for summer losses.

Mind you, those years were exceptionally bad, and even in poor summers we can still get dry periods.