Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Recommended Posts

Morning peeps ?

Hope you all are well, alas what a winter it's been, something that was meant to have so much potential from the influence of outside factors but sadly it's a winter that did not win the heart of coldies.

We are on the 9th of Feb today and the silent ticking of the clock carries on, sadly with regret and a sinking feeling to be honest time is really not on our side for the coldies. To be very blunt and honest saying this hurts but my hunch at this moment in time is that a prolonged severe cold spell now looks like a low percentage to me. I know some of you in here may not agree to the downbeat tone but I am just being realistic as I can by judging the current output. Having said this I may be totally wrong and some major change could happen, but it would need to be something dramatic and it needs to happen soon. 

We all have been on this rollercoaster ride together this winter and there has been moments when we saw glimmers of hope and then there had been moments of disparity. That is model watching and that is the UK winter we will win some and we will loose some. Just like to thank everyone who posts on here because that is what keeps this place going and especially those more knowledgable ones who have shared their thoughts.

We still have a good part of February to go who knows if in a weeks time we will be jumping with joy, but as I said my heart tells me different and that's my thinking. Even if we don't scramble anything I know many of us will be back here next year all on this same train trying to find that stop to winter. One day we will get lucky and I am sure it will be worthwhile, till then our waiting will go on.

hope you all have a great day and thanks once again to everyone for sharing your thoughts.

the search  for our winter wonderland will always continue

kind regards ????

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those who think the SSW was a bust take a look at this at T+3   Then look at the NW/SE jet axis over us, then look at the fact that the downwelling has been delayed but is just und

Feel I have an apology to make.  If people are wondering why this thread vanished for almost an hour, basically I went ahead a locked the thread first. Then, went and hid it. Was feeling fed

Leaked express headline for tomorrow.   #sorrynotsorry

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Hernia Bay
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
  • Location: Hernia Bay
    7 minutes ago, E17boy said:

    Morning peeps ?

    Hope you all are well, alas what a winter it's been, something that was meant to have so much potential from the influence of outside factors but sadly it's a winter that did not win the heart of coldies.

    We are on the 9th of Feb today and the silent ticking of the clock carries on, sadly with regret and a sinking feeling to be honest time is really not on our side for the coldies. To be very blunt and honest saying this hurts but my hunch at this moment in time is that a prolonged severe cold spell now looks like a low percentage to me. I know some of you in here may not agree to the downbeat tone but I am just being realistic as I can by judging the current output. Having said this I may be totally wrong and some major change could happen, but it would need to be something dramatic and it needs to happen soon. 

    We all have been on this rollercoaster ride together this winter and there has been moments when we saw glimmers of hope and then there had been moments of disparity. That is model watching and that is the UK winter we will win some and we will loose some. Just like to thank everyone who posts on here because that is what keeps this place going and especially those more knowledgable ones who have shared their thoughts.

    We still have a good part of February to go who knows if in a weeks time we will be jumping with joy, but as I said my heart tells me different and that's my thinking. Even if we don't scramble anything I know many of us will be back here next year all on this same train trying to find that stop to winter. One day we will get lucky and I am sure it will be worthwhile, till then our waiting will go on.

    hope you all have a great day and thanks once again to everyone for sharing your thoughts.

    the search  for our winter wonderland will always continue

    kind regards ????

    I'm. Choking back the tears as I peruse the gfs output now 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Alresford, Near Colchester, Essex
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
  • Location: Alresford, Near Colchester, Essex
    10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

    Take it from a old fart, March/April can, have and will continue to deliver what winter sometimes doesn't: 1965, 1970, 1975, 1989, 1990, 2006...2018 all had Springtime snowfall...so I suspect that the preceding winter has little or no effect upon what Spring holds???

    Throw in the towel? Not likely!

    I'll absolutely not be looking for cold after early April and tbh this forum would feel like one for miscreants to me, if lots were still hunting for it by then, to gain pleasure.

    The late frosts a couple of years ago did a lot of damage to the horticultural and our fledgling wine industry. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cottingham
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
  • Location: Cottingham
    53 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

    I Have read certain papers regarding scientists who stated back in the 80s there would be no Arctic left by 2010. A recent study by nasa found that sea ice is growing faster during the winter months today than it did a decade ago. This increase of sea ice has helped to slow down the overall reduction in Arctic sea ice and delayed an ice free Arctic. Not gonna drag this thread into a climate discussion, but regarding man made global warming, the climate was actually warmer during the middle ages, long before man made emissions, and its called naturally occurring  climate variability. 

    I'm sorry but I haven't heard any scientists predicting there would be no arctic ice in the 2010s. It was only in the late 1990s that scientists thought summer arctic sea ice would go by the 2070s. After 2007 most models suggested it would be the 2030s. So if anything earlier forecasts were far too conservative.

    Re the bit highlighted in bold, this is because summer ice has declined so much! so of course the winter sea ice will grow faster because there is more ocean to freeze!!!

    In terms of how we can expect this to impact the UK... there will be a decreased temperature gradient from the arctic to the sub-tropics. This will slow the jet down and lead to patterns being more persistent. However if you have a high over Europe you can have a weak jet but still be mild as next weeks model output shows nicely. Even December 2015 had a sluggish jet because low pressure systems didn't really move west to east.... the low pressures were quite often stuck just to the NW of the UK.

    Back to the model output specifically and the 06z swingometers show an unchanged picture. February 15th still looks mild and/or anticyclonic.. There are no cold charts to post here. The swingometer also shows how consistent the output has been since February 2nd. So perhaps it should be the latching onto 1 more intriguing op run rather then criticisng the models themselves. Looking at the bigger picture shows how this has been well forecast when looking at the ensemble set as a whole.

    image.thumb.png.82ad110a0173afee921d5d5551093e92.png

    For Feb 20th the picture is still mixed with mild being the slight favourite for now, the odd blocked run in there but a minority at the moment. P15 would give us a good end to winter.

    image.thumb.png.fbc2e8b3647954e336f203aad9ff16c9.pngimage.thumb.png.c449bfbed51c79ae27aa9c9afb38a0e2.png 

    Finally I do believe that because of climate change, getting cold spells is harder if there are smaller cold pools to tap into, its basic physics really. Therefore we require more extreme synoptics to pull of a good cold spell.Cold isn't just going to magically appear is it? In the US it is easier because air from the arctic unmodified but with our SSTs more stubborn it becomes more difficult here. As I said a few days back, its still possible but we require more extreme synoptics. Whilst in past decades less impressive synoptics could have done the job.

    The global temperature anomalies show a huge pool of mild air across Europe and Eurasia, with the decreasing in size cold pools being confined to pasts of North America, the North Atlantic and parts of the arctic (bit of good news there at least).

    image.thumb.png.cea2e09cafbc8b2fa27d8aee9e5cc9e3.pngimage.thumb.png.13411a19f01556e736e087c0a8052ed9.png 

    • Like 2
    • Thanks 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Walsall Wood, Walsall, West Midlands 145m ASL
  • Location: Walsall Wood, Walsall, West Midlands 145m ASL

    If I remember rightly the heat lovers were still ramping away up into October even after last Summer, so I don't see how we can be dismissing the possibility of some proper winter weather going forward. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a good Winter spell in March. Not counting on it but based on 2013 and 2018 alone February just doesn't feel as getting too late as it used to.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cottingham
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
  • Location: Cottingham
    48 minutes ago, E17boy said:

     

    hope you all have a great day and thanks once again to everyone for sharing your thoughts.

    the search  for our winter wonderland will always continue

    kind regards ????

    Won't you stay another day?

    Don't blame you TBH though, maybe next winter will be better but we still have time to grab something from this winter.... 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Frome 330ft ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
  • Location: Frome 330ft ASL
    18 hours ago, ICE COLD said:

    There is no point in having the hunt for cold then is there ?? It’s not at day 16 it starts around day 8 . What I don’t get is why people come on here if there gonna moan at people posting chars after day 5 ? When the 18z comes out I’ll go up to day 5 to keep you moaners from crying ?

    Sorry.

    All I meant was, why people keep getting themselves let down because too much excitement at a long distant . 

    sure I love the cold too , I love be to see cold charts but when it looks like cold on the way and often apparently nailed only to be  disappointed. 

    Wouldnt it be better to get excited say -3-4-5 days out and even then that can be a letdown but at least that can be better -% chances than at say day 10.  

    Why get so excited about something so far off that 9-10 times doesn't materialise then many throw dummies from the pram when it doesn't happen and that's because it wasn't too far out. 

    So sorry again but that's all I meant . 

     

    • Like 2
    • Thanks 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

    Won't you stay another day?

    Don't blame you TBH though, maybe next winter will be better but we still have time to grab something from this winter.... 

    I am still here to pick up any crumbs lol ? if we are lucky to for that even. Who knows where this high pressure is going to e d up? 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Frome 330ft ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
  • Location: Frome 330ft ASL
    19 hours ago, That ECM said:

    But the point that is being missed is that charts at day 8/9 are said to be reliable and awful. Yet on the SAME RUN, charts 48 hours later are fi.  That makes a nonsense of the post. 

    I agree that even near term it can go drastically wrong or right as the case recently if you like snow and the recent Metoffice and forecasters mistakes with the snowfall in S/W 

    yes even 48 hrs out can be a nightmare but -% wise it will be more reliable  than 8-10 or f1 days out .

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire

    I think the models should be restricted to 5 days only, with anything beyond pure guesswork and wonder.  Would help keep the stress levels in check ?

    • Like 4
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, offerman said:

    Sorry.

    All I meant was, why people keep getting themselves let down because too much excitement at a long distant . 

    sure I love the cold too , I love be to see cold charts but when it looks like cold on the way and often apparently nailed only to be  disappointed. 

    Wouldnt it be better to get excited say -3-4-5 days out and even then that can be a letdown but at least that can be better -% chances than at say day 10.  

    Why get so excited about something so far off that 9-10 times doesn't materialise then many throw dummies from the pram when it doesn't happen and that's because it wasn't too far out. 

    So sorry again but that's all I meant . 

     

    Totally agree with you hundred percent. Even charts going up to three days change so what chance is there for a chart 10 days and beyond sticking to the guns. I think as human nature dictates because our hearts are hunting for that bit of cold anything we see even 10 days alway gives us hope although deep down we know there may be an error in verification. It's the hope element that keeps us going and the one question that may be it will verefy ?

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cottingham
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
  • Location: Cottingham
    9 minutes ago, offerman said:

    I agree that even near term it can go drastically wrong or right as the case recently if you like snow and the recent Metoffice and forecasters mistakes with the snowfall in S/W 

    yes even 48 hrs out can be a nightmare but -% wise it will be more reliable  than 8-10 or f1 days out .

    Yes I do think F1 days out will be a let down since Kimi Raikkonen has been demoted to Sauber and Lewis Hamilton will probably stroll to another world title this year. There's a prediction that may well come off!

    Still the odd blocked member deep into FI so the mild spell may go all Pastor Maldonado and we get a cold spell into late Feb or early March. They can still be of interest but we require something special.

    We will probably find ourselves going round in circles again though...

    Edited by Quicksilver1989
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Frome 330ft ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
  • Location: Frome 330ft ASL
    13 minutes ago, Don said:

    I think the models should be restricted to 5 days only, with anything beyond pure guesswork and wonder.  Would help keep the stress levels in check ?

    ???

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

    Yes I do think F1 days out will be a let down since Kimi Raikkonen has been demoted to Sauber and Lewis Hamilton will probably stroll to another world title this year. There's a prediction that may well come off!

    Still the odd blocked member deep into FI so the mild spell may go all Pastor Maldonado and we get a cold spell into late Feb or early March. They can still be of interest but we require something special.

    We will probably find ourselves going round in circles again though...

    Should be called the Bermuda model circle where all the tasty charts 10 days away disappear mysteriously ?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Netherton, Black Country
  • Location: Netherton, Black Country
    1 hour ago, snowfish1 said:

    I'm. Choking back the tears as I peruse the gfs output now 

    To the tune of 'Land of Hope and Glory'....

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cottingham
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
  • Location: Cottingham
    1 minute ago, Mattwolves said:

    Duely noted, either way you sum this up, like you state, colder pools may shrink, they could possibly increase due to a significantly distorted polar vortex!! Not to mention the balance of fresh salt water in the oceans being severely disrupted! This could be many years away, personally I think it's the start. Global warming may well lead to a major cooling trend. Anyway just my thoughts, anyway for the hear and now, not much hapoening up until next week, there after a good chance of high pressure building to the NE. So an increasing risk of colder conditions devoloping, and even snow into some parts. One to watch for sure, certainly not a winter is over scenario. 

     

    Yes there is the possibility that mid Latitudes may turn colder during winter months if the AMOC changes its behaviour, it did slow down during 2010 for example. This wouldn't lead to a drop in global temperature (it may be a slight negative feedback), it would lead to a complete change in the distribution of warmer temperatures. Warming over the tropics would increase dramatically as it won't be released over mid latitudes during winter months.

    As I say 2010 was a good example of this with its exceptional tropical warmth to compensate for colder mid-latitudes. A weaker Atlantic could also result in hotter summers here but that would be going off topic ?

    • Thanks 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Peterborough N.Cambridgeshire
  • Location: Peterborough N.Cambridgeshire

    Only just seen the 06Z and im surprised at some of the comments, or lack of.

    GFSPARAEU06_384_1.png

    Yes I know its +384 but at least the GH is back making an appearance.

     

    • Like 8
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Pucklechurch near Bristol 113m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.
  • Location: Pucklechurch near Bristol 113m ASL

    I thought the same @TEITS but didn't want to mention it for fear of getting shot down.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Durham
  • Location: Durham
    3 minutes ago, TEITS said:

    Only just seen the 06Z and im surprised at some of the comments, or lack of.

    GFSPARAEU06_384_1.png

    Yes I know its +384 but at least the GH is back making an appearance.

     

    +384 that's sometime next winter and a totally different thread :oldrofl:

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
    1 minute ago, Blizzardof82 said:

    I thought the same @TEITS but didn't want to mention it for fear of getting shot down.

    I think people are too used to being  taken in by the models this year.  Hence the lack of comments.

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hernia Bay
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
  • Location: Hernia Bay
    2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

    Take it from a old fart, March/April can, have and will continue to deliver what winter sometimes doesn't: 1965, 1970, 1975, 1989, 1990, 2006, 2013...2018 all had Springtime snowfall...so I suspect that the preceding winter has little or no effect upon what Spring holds???

    Throw in the towel? Not likely!

    Yay I like you buddy x

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: st albans
  • Location: st albans

    The gfsp simply reminds us that the option remains on the menu - but it will take a lot more than an appearance at day 15/16 for us to take it at all seriously. 

    Gefs have flattered over the last couple days, throwing up the odd fi amplification to our nw which looks to be of a sustained nature ...yet they havent been ale to make it stick or gain any momentum

    hence the downbeat nature of the thread today. 

    im not one for March winters down here. A one day snowfall doesn’t float my boat ..... it’s more of an aggravation than anything else!  last years bfte was with sub 510 dam thicknesses ......deliver that I’m on board. But it’s so unlikely. 

    Give the nwp a week and then roll on spring ! 

    • Like 5
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Broadmayne a few miles north of Weymouth in Dorset
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
  • Location: Broadmayne a few miles north of Weymouth in Dorset
    4 hours ago, IDO said:

    Much like the Nov 2010 once in a lifetime event, last year's March may never be repeated in my lifetime again.

    That may have been its lesson, never again!

     

    And yet only 6 years ago we had The coldest March for 50 years so that's two once in a lifetime march's in one lifetime already.  

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: frome somerset 105m ABSL,
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
  • Location: frome somerset 105m ABSL,

    I’m going to assume not much to talk about in the models then!!

    647B8F9B-10CA-4AC2-9779-673384122D5E.gif

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Message added by Paul

    Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
    Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

    For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...