Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

UKMO - 0.5/10

GFS - 2/10

ICON - 4/10

GEM - 0/10

I would wait until the end of the GFS before passing judgement, could be a stonker, unlesss you are judging the short term expecting one of those imaginary Easterlies that are supposed to suddenly pop up at D7 without any previous ensemble support but never do.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
14 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

UKMO - 0.5/10

GFS - 2/10

ICON - 4/10

GEM - 0/10

4D2DDE77-9FE1-43A5-9183-9640248F16AB.gif

E0670EE5-5CC5-4E35-91C4-6A76BD15ECBB.png

4CD10C43-0324-4437-BD7E-E554EC912A58.png

8B6E2365-0711-464A-B3E6-4964464BC7BD.png

And cfs 10/10

cfs-2-264.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Let's please keep it friendly in here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

You mean i'm highlight changes to the models in the model thread.

I was disputing that there was any change in the models though in the model thread.

If you felt my response to you was belittling then I humbly apologise, it was not my intention.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.
  • Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I would wait until the end of the GFS before passing judgement, could be a stonker, unlesss you are judging the short term expecting one of those imaginary Easterlies that are supposed to suddenly pop up at D7 without any previous ensemble support but never do.

Writing is on the wall mate, dreadful 12z runs... GFS looks absolutely  awful even at day 10 or so look at that PV, ominous signs IMO, love cold/snow as much as anyone but must be realistic, the prognosis is poor.

CD440650-0CEB-48BD-8329-2BE16AC1DDF3.png

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Weathizard said:

Writing is on the wall mate, dreadful 12z runs... GFS looks absolute awful even at day 10 or so look at that PV, ominous signs IMO, love cold/snow as much as anyway but must be realistic, the prognosis is poor.

Agree in general yes - i am not one to carry on living in dreamland, however though, on that run a Scandi high could have easily developed, even now thats bust, a Northerly could still develop.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

I was disputing that there was any change in the models though in the model thread.

If you felt my response to you was belittling then I humbly apologise, it was not my intention.

You wasn't you said there was only 50 miles of amplification, an opinion that can be countered by simply looking at the available charts.

you made the comment by your own admission to point out that it wasn't going to affect us, something I didn't even claim it would.

You constantly using the Laughing icon at a lot of post that simply make a comment on the models.

gfseu-0-222.png?12

O look the amplification has had an affect, not only in terms of high pressure to our east, but the uppers are actually colder.

gfseu-1-228.png?12

All down to amplification you say didn't exist 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Writing is on the wall mate, dreadful 12z runs... GFS looks absolute awful even at day 10 or so look at that PV, ominous signs IMO, love cold/snow as much as anyway but must be realistic, the prognosis is poor.

Sometimes Weathizard when the prognosis is poor it pays to get a second or 3rd opinion and await a better outcome. You can't put paid to the next 4 weeks on the back of several afternoon runs, especially as non of the for mentioned models have covered themselves in much glory this winter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Mattwolves said:

Sometimes Weathizard when the prognosis is poor it pays to get a second or 3rd opinion and await a better outcome. You can't put paid to the next 4 weeks on the back of several afternoon runs, especially as non of the for mentioned models have covered themselves in much glory this winter

With the way this winter has gone mate it’s hard to see a good outcome, we’ve had much better potential than this all winter so far and achieved pretty much nothing in terms of a proper cold spell, not writing anything off I think March could be the month again if we get anything, but based on current output I can’t see a viable way of us getting a prolonged cold spell any time soon.

Pivoting, unrelenting azores heights and a strong polar vortex in a terrible position have been prominent all winter and show no sign of packing up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I thought I'd view the entire run before reaching my verdict...So here it is:

CRAP!

Posted
12 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

a Northerly could still develop.

I think that's our best bet in a couple of weeks if we can get a decent high amplitude phase 8 MJO 

Tonight's ECM will give us a clue as to whether the Easterly is a bust. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

With the way this winter has gone mate it’s hard to see a good outcome, we’ve had much better potential than this all winter so far and achieved pretty much nothing in terms of a proper cold spell, not writing anything off I think March could be the month again if we get anything, but based on current output I can’t see a viable way of us getting a prolonged cold spell any time soon.

Pivoting, unrelenting azores heights and a strong polar vortex in a terrible position have been prominent all winter and show no sign of packing up.

I see where your coming from, but with high pressure building next week it ain't gonna need much adjustment to bring in a much colder continental feed,, you maybe right with March, I personally think devoloments could get interesting in the final 3rd of this month, let's just wait and see

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Perhaps he will go over too the other site, Brian Gaze and Gavin Partridge etc, there site is brilliant to,

I've split my sides laughing here, they been saying on that side winter was over in October, anyway this is netweather so let's have less of the bigging up of other sites please

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I think that's our best bet in a couple of weeks if we can get a decent high amplitude phase 8 MJO 

Sensible. There are two ways this can still go and heights building NE, NE/E remains on the cards, ATM!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

What easterly? There is really no sign of any easterly appearing in the models at all, the PV is simply too strong to allow any meaningful height rises to occur over Scandinavia to be maintained for an easterly flow to develop at this stage. What we may see is as high pressure tries to make an influence on the UK weather, it will orientate in such a way we get a Southerly/SSE'ly flow which will limit upper air temperatures and more definately limit ground temperatures and we may get a quiet settled period with overnight frosts. Some runs do this but the vast majority suggests a more SW'ly flow which will bring a lot more cloud cover and eventually widespread double figure temperatures. 

That said, we do have a brief cold shot for the 2nd part of the weekend and Monday morning could dawn on a cold frosty note for some but if anyone is looking for a reliable snowy set up, then forget it because the PV over the pole is just simply too strong and no models is suggesting we are going to head down that sort of route anytime soon.

I think one of the reasons why any background signals may not of worked favourably for cold weather is because the PV over the Arctic has been stronger this year than in previous years, its a catch 22 really because if you do break that PV into smaller parts then the chances for severe cold does increase if it ends up in the right place however a stronger PV traditionally is harder to break down despite more favourable background signals for cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

High pressure moving in next week

graphe3_0000_266_42___.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I have removed several posts. Please be respectful to the views of others or your post will be removed. This should be a friendly forum where everyone is entitled to their opinion on what the model output is showing without being subjected to petty contradictions and/or snipes. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GEFS at 240 say Game on for Easterly by 384.

Copy that

gens_panel_yih6.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
37 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Writing is on the wall mate, dreadful 12z runs... GFS looks absolutely  awful even at day 10 or so look at that PV, ominous signs IMO, love cold/snow as much as anyone but must be realistic, the prognosis is poor.

Tundra and Blizzards next week it is then.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

....Thats nearly Easter :oldmellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
14 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The majority at t 300 plus go on to flatten it to be fair.

BC21AA06-8ECE-4BF1-A61C-EA78DEB43FA3.png

Edited by That ECM