Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Clear northerm shift in the last 24 hours for tonight and tomorrow’s system from the ICON. 

Now

iconeu_uk1-42-20-0_aor4.png

Yesterday

iconeu_uk1-42-44-0_ozm2.png

Although the day before that, it looks like back to square one!

iconeu_uk1-42-68-0_add0.png

• Like 1

Posted

Who knows what will happen in Feb? It does seem that there is little in the models to suggest anything substantially cold. We were told to be patient, it will come etc. Are those people so confident now?

As much as I want cold and snow, part of me also would like a mild Feb just to serve as a concrete example as to how unreliable long term preeictions can be, regardless of background signals and the EC46 etc.

A lot of egg will be scraped off faces!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Day 15 so take it with relevant pinches of salt but it doesn’t just arrive unannounced .....

3FDDB375-35C8-4B17-9B8B-40F1F6B06B84.thumb.jpeg.b1f2b0dd3f67bb77a8775a89d8dcf6ec.jpeg

and those of you saying that there is nothing in the modelling showing cold in feb need to look harder

eps clusters at day 14.5

38C0A9CC-CD2A-4053-8E4C-2A8389DF230B.thumb.jpeg.f0a34bdadb520c7c73f5eab776128c6e.jpeg

Day 15 gefs mean - not bad at such a range

76CFFB5A-DE7C-4451-BA23-4ABF4516D0F3.thumb.jpeg.21f6558d0403125c1819aa3e17827014.jpeg

We've been seeing these type of means/clusters day in and day out for 5 weeks Nick...come on...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Those on here that watch the charts four times a day for five or six months of the year, heres something really special in the ICON, super cold up to our North East towards Scandi/Svalbad, with pressure starting to rise up that way. This is where the cold starts to build in classic easterlies. Enough said.

iconeu-0-120.png

iconeu-1-120.png

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

We've been seeing these type of means/clusters day in and day out for 5 weeks Nick...come on...

Agreed. They have been less than useless.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ICON 18Z follows on from quite a number of ECM ensembles that keep the snow south - I see koldweather has put this at about 15% so not massive - but there's a move afoot to bring everything south.

Mind you northerners - the ensembles that keep the snow further north general go for some really good falls.

Exhausting keeping up with this

Almost feels like one of those times where the model snaps back too hard and then has to correct against itself at a later date, but equally it could be a continuation of the trend. That 15% is up from about 5-6% on the 00z suite as well in all fairness...however its still certainly an outside risk. One that I'd gladly take!

It'll have my attention more if the GFS sides with it, or at least gets close.

Heck, that's almost a channel low in its own right on that run ;) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Day 15 so take it with relevant pinches of salt but it doesn’t just arrive unannounced .....

3FDDB375-35C8-4B17-9B8B-40F1F6B06B84.thumb.jpeg.b1f2b0dd3f67bb77a8775a89d8dcf6ec.jpeg

Blue, quick question regarding the above chart as I've not seen this one before.  I assume the numbers shown are the 850's, not ground temperatures?

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Almost feels like one of those times where the model snaps back too hard and then has to correct against itself at a later date, but equally it could be a continuation of the trend. That 15% is up from about 5-6% on the 00z suite as well in all fairness...however its still certainly an outside risk. One that I'd gladly take!

It'll have my attention more if the GFS sides with it, or at least gets close.

Heck, that's almost a channel low in its own right on that run ;) 

A nice middle ground would be same track higher PPN rates ??❤️

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Who knows what will happen in Feb? It does seem that there is little in the models to suggest anything substantially cold. We were told to be patient, it will come etc. Are those people so confident now?

As much as I want cold and snow, part of me also would like a mild Feb just to serve as a concrete example as to how unreliable long term preeictions can be, regardless of background signals and the EC46 etc.

A lot of egg will be scraped off faces!

Who knew weather forecasting could be so vindictive eh?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
12 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think it looks very stingy with the precip . I’m not convinced it’s got that right .

Even worse on the hi-res: major fail if ICON is right:

anim_kuj5.gif

Though the SW and far SE and EA may get some interest.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
16 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Winter come on pal , why you getting well gel ?? It ant anyone’s fault the snow is trending further south . 

Fwiw I think the icon has gone a bit to far south with the low . Lots of chopping and changing yet I suppose. It’s always a drama when the uk is gonna get snow  . 

Only jesting pal.Thought it was funny that it showed nothing for anyone

God forbid

Edited by winterof79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
44 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

There's absolutely zilch in the modelling at the moment to suggest a cool February, let alone a cold one. If you can show me some concrete signs of a cold February

Blend of EC monthly and their own used, NW NNW and NE winds towards 20th suggesting similar to now.

Screenshot_20190128-211615_AccuWeather.jpg

Screenshot_20190128-212248_AccuWeather.jpg

Edited by geordiekev

Posted

ECM ensembles updated to D15 a little earlier than usual on weather.us 

How can I describe D15? (11 February). Imagine the UK being at the center of a giant roundabout through Scandi, Europe, the near Atlantic, and up to Iceland. Somewhere on this roundabout lies a very significant ridge.

That's what I'm getting from the individual ensembles tonight on the extended - big high coming up, close to the UK, but absolutely no direction on which side. The mean chart will show the front runner but that's it. 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
1 minute ago, IDO said:

Even worse on the hi-res: major fail if ICON is right:

anim_kuj5.gif

Though the SW and far SE and EA may get some interest.

Great run  for the snow starved southerners  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
44 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Ecm!!!! Who needs it, ba ba booooooom, let's face it nasa live in space, so they gotter no more than anyone, even the met, lol

geos-0-123.png

Ooops it's all gone a bit Pete tongue, never liked nasa anyway,  all that money and they still can't produce a decent model,

geos-0-219.png

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

Clear northerm shift in the last 24 hours for tonight and tomorrow’s system from the ICON. 

Now

iconeu_uk1-42-20-0_aor4.png

Yesterday

iconeu_uk1-42-44-0_ozm2.png

Although the day before that, it looks like back to square one!

iconeu_uk1-42-68-0_add0.png

Also the band seems more organised!!what are the chances that tomorrows snow ends up giving way more than thursdays

Posted
5 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Agreed. They have been less than useless.

As with nearly ALL models from day 2 or 3 onwards really, so you cant take them as gospel whatever side of the camp you're on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

anim_shb3.gif

this shows a good chance of an easterly flow coming on the ec spreads ....would it reach the uk?  

Can I stop now ?  Are some of you more open minded yet ??.

Can you stop hope casting Nick .. The forum has been doing it all winter .

Also no one mentioned the Gem at day 10 . That’s a good chart . That’s got a lot of ? I won’t say the word it’s been used to much this year it begins with P . 

0C2766B0-3B60-4E83-8B57-9722FC9416A1.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

All good and well, but it's January. It would be desperately ABNORMAL to not have to scrape your car windscreen or see some falling snow.

Come on mate, you're better than this. Let's assess where we actually are this winter without rose tinted glasses. It has been awful and there is no dressing it up. You/anyone can dress it up anyway you like but a couple of days of falling snow and having to scrape the windscreen a couple of times does not justify the expectation that we all had this winter (given the signals).

Certainly not been the best, but equally its been a pretty bog standard milder than average winter thus far. Compared to the run from 1998-2008 its still not too bad.

Also, we are at risk here of hindcasting something that hasn't yet happened

• Like 1