Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

like to see the dewpoints here ..from a neutrals point of view it looks at first glance like lots of cold rain and sleet esp at low levels

Dew points range from 0-1C in the south (away from the direct coast and SW corner) to just a little below 0C further north.

Marginal, but heavy intensity and the SE airflow coming from Europe (Europe's not that cold, but it has just had snowfall which will help to moderate the boundary layer lower than what othersie likely) is what tips the edge to snowfall for most of the south, into the Midlands and northing that marginal about it.

Its a classic set-up where you look at it and think, snow really? Especially given the 850hpa temps. There were a few in the 80s and 90s from looking at the charts you'd think no chance, and yet they happened...

As BA said, I'm not sure in the south its going to be settling great, we'll be gaining but losing probably at the same time, a net gain, but not as much as further north...but I'll take that in a heartbeat given even sleet was looking unlikely a couple of nights ago!!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
5 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

like to see the dewpoints here ..from a neutrals point of view it looks at first glance like lots of cold rain and sleet esp at low levels

yep thicknesses look marginal

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

This interests me deeply.

DyBUbOpXQAEHiJ0.jpg large.jpg

Why?...they're/he's an amateur forecaster no more no less than a few on here, I'm sure there are more things in life to be concerned about :oldlaugh:

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

But it still shows 8 inches for me by saturday - it just isn't going to happen, its a weakening feature which could wrap around but very unlikely to give that many hours of continuous snow and even if it did, tyhere is no way it would be heavy enough

4”+ is mainly on high ground areas eg penines, welsh mountains and Cumbrian fells, most areas in central England have 2-3” which looks about right 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

0Z John, 12Z is this...

fax36s.gif

Are there two on that chart? 

One just off the north west coast of Scotland and another further north? 

Edited by FetchCB
Random letters posted on mobike6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: See if you can guess

Maybe on day 10 ECM signs of Canada PV shifting and heights rising towards newfoundland, but maybe that's too optimistic.

BTW when is the EC46 coming out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
19 minutes ago, shaky said:

Midlands??

you are a nightmare!....lololol

right, to save a lot of time and effort.....I'll post this now, so it will save you posting later...

"ICON!!!.......WTF!!!!!....SNOW!!!......10 MILES North or South on the latest run?!!!!....Midlands?!!!!"

lol....now go and spend some time with your wife and kids for a couple of hours otherwise they'll think you're having an affair with a doris who's called 'Netty Weather"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Why?...they're/he's an amateur forecaster no more no less than a few on here, I'm sure there are more things in life to be concerned about :oldlaugh:

Erm they work for Met Office and have the similar data if not the same.. You don't get an amateur forecaster whose verified!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

This interests me deeply.

DyBUbOpXQAEHiJ0.jpg large.jpg

Always a good idea to look into a possible event after it’s happened.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Erm they work for Met Office and have the similar data if not the same.. You don't get an amateur forecaster whose verified!

Okay stand corrected...I know they get their weather info from the Meto.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
1 minute ago, Updated_Weather said:

Imagine him at the COBR meeting for extreme weather "well the thing is prime minister there's the possibility of some very concerning weather from latest weather models.  I'll let you know just after the event on what I'm thinking."    

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, P-M said:

Imagine him at the COBR meeting for extreme weather "well the thing is prime minister there's the possibility of some very concerning weather from latest weather models.  I'll let you know just after the event on what I'm thinking."    

A bit different for them.. Most of us amateurs, can put more on the line than an actual company. It affects them more than us.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

The latest bbc graphics, which model do they use and is this old data or new

7E952E1A-9E2E-4915-96E8-A38A3F5179BD.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fromey said:

Like Euro4 they go for a significant 'shadow' from the Pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
3 minutes ago, P-M said:

if you are making a joke...

Just in case though; I think the reality is, that they are concentrating on Tuesday's Cold Front before they analyse Thursday's Low!

I like the ECM D10 chart where all the PV has relocated. Just hope it won't do a u-turn and return!

anim_noy4.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
Just now, IDO said:

if you are making a joke...

Just in case though; I think the reality is, that they are concentrating on Tuesday's Cold Front before they analyse Thursday's Low!

I like the ECM D10 chart where all the PV has relocated. Just hope it won't do a u-turn and return!

anim_noy4.gif

I know defo tongue in cheek.  I wouldn't want to be forecasting this week that's for sure.  Someone's going to be pulling their hair out lol 

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

I guess they didn't want to put too much on the line considering!

maybe. or maybe they are just gold medalists in Hedging Bets and Fence Sitting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
5 minutes ago, fromey said:

For fellow members in Scotland..

D985C878-65B1-4DBF-A41A-463E5D99C1AE.thumb.jpeg.ae2ac8926d82b7c9b2c54611fd82ca6f.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, P-M said:

this must be where weather forecasters have been going wrong all these years! I'll tell you about yesterday's weather and it will always be 100% accurate. Don't listen to these people who tell you what it's going to do tomorrow - they haven't got a clue 

1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

this must be where weather forecasters have been going wrong all these years! I'll tell you about yesterday's weather and it will always be 100% accurate. 

Madden would still claim his snowmageddon forecast was correct though 

Edited by Why

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
27 minutes ago, P-M said:

Isn't that how politicians work, anyhow?  Of course, some might also want to change votes on something already voted on two years ago as well. I want snow, no, I voted for rain, can I have sleet then?

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

For fellow members in Scotland..

D985C878-65B1-4DBF-A41A-463E5D99C1AE.thumb.jpeg.ae2ac8926d82b7c9b2c54611fd82ca6f.jpeg

Apologies, sorry Scotland!!

• Like 2