Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
23 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

where's frosty when ya need him, love that guys enthusiasm, enjoy 

I'm here, as enthusiastic as ever and trying not to be disruptive..

it's weeks like this that go a long way to making up for all the dross before it..models show a risk of disruptive snow this week..what's not to like about that!!:cold:❄️

• Like 5

Posted

Regional threads are there for IMBYism.  I want everyone (including Knocker) to get their fair share of snow.  We don't want a North vs Midlands vs South debate in here.

Personally, I believe nothing is settled yet.  Even tomorrow's precipitation is not nailed down.  However, it does look like the front is slowing down and possibly weakening.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
Just now, Lampostwatcher said:

After having a little browse through. 

Icon gfs 

The sweetspot is right over by back garden in north london

Bit of a surprise im in shock

As it stands your correct.

Still afew Changes 2 be deciphered

And we know the devilisinthedetail

1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Yeah your probably right mate. I've lost count over the years how many times these type of set-ups shift further south nearer the time! 

Deep down I'm kind of anticipating the southward  corrections but live in hope lol. Was pleasantly suprised this morning when checking the charts though, were still well in the game.

A southward correction looks the likely scenario.... as per usual.

Not getting into the Thur/fri Situ as again big changes likely.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The eastern flank disturbance is a little stronger on the 06z - a step toward the Euros and the reason the front has a bit more trouble moving NNE. It also distorts the surface flow  into England sufficiently that it remains easterly enough to keep drawing from a frigid Germany through midnight Friday, before turning back more easterly during Friday morning.

ukwind.png maxtemp.png ukwind.png

The main inhibitor to snow is then the dew points;

ukpaneltemp.png

Interesting how some negative DP air is wrapped into the LP circulation on this run, setting up a new boundary that develops further through Friday with snow widely across Wales and western England. The 00z ECM had similar developments but didn't develop the boundary as much and had more of a NE angle to the flow, which was less effective for the southwest.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Really? I seem to remember the NAE becoming the EURO4 too.. in any event, EURO4 is one of the best short range models out there, Met office often using a blend of EURO4/UKV

I am sure its a differnt model, the Euro4 replaced the NAE, and as that is the model shown on weatheronline people probably thought it was just an upgrade but on the Met Office website, it does say retired, it looked to me like the NAE overdid the area where light snow falled, the Euro4 with its better resolution solved that problem,

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Lots of talk regarding this week and possible snow falls etc 

What I haven't seen as such is anyone about anything longer term ?

Because Tuesday and Thursday still isn’t resolved yet anything past that is FI

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

So much for an end to inyabackyardism!!!! Come on folks, if you bring this system any further south it will end up in Spain!! How's about just firming up on the snow potential and intensity so fourth, rather than its in my back yard. Folk on here are gonna go ballistic if they miss out this week, I'm now counting down for the, winter is over posts!!!! 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Safe to say past +96 is far from nailed I think however milder than this current week looks to be slight favourite. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
4 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

ECM and gfs are not on the same page really but here is t180 gfs 06z plenty to ponder there

8E35BE7F-B0F7-4755-81BD-88D5FD3429AC.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Here is my take on Tuesdays snow events using that trusty old Swiss HD model. 

By Tuesday morning the centre of the low pressure system is out in the bay of Biscay, West of Nantes.  Precipitation from the front reaching the Welsh Eastern coast is just starting to show.  The charts can be moved on in 1 hour time slots but I have done it in 2 hour time slots here to save posting too many charts.

1435668650_6amtue.thumb.PNG.b5595d7bba242392f196df23ed05f87f.PNG 6am   1257550609_8amtues.thumb.PNG.a9603cfaa7650a92e52b26f5c5b8a31d.PNG 8am (snow line from Cardiff to the North Penninies)

The snow line continues to track in a south easterly direction throughout the day.

1329925507_10amtues.thumb.PNG.c41fbdb82639f751210fced6aab39dee.PNG 10am  714683131_12pmtues.thumb.PNG.1faf86375d075aa702de05bca2a7f2f4.PNG 12pm  

71934507_2pmtues.thumb.PNG.618768a1959b8bf4a877c10780a2abcf.PNG 2pm    1172886788_4pmtues.thumb.PNG.c18b9576ca52f1cb2aef17e3b849e7b5.PNG 4pm (rush hour should be interesting!)

213033264_6pmtues.thumb.PNG.f084eb7ff1ad71bb44021e87e47c3d4c.PNG 6pm  586574347_8pmtues.thumb.PNG.5667d9929594e7def66e3958b6914441.PNG 8pm  

Snow depth totals by Tuesday evening then. Just for bants.....

69918330_snowdepth.thumb.PNG.c30ea3215ff810f576f1353c9a8c0153.PNG

Wednesday could be an interesting day also with freezing for forecast across many parts of the UK from midday through to early evening, again, making rush hour and driving conditions extremely hazardous.

1703249744_wedfreezefog5pm.thumb.PNG.c525dc6d735c9ced3eb5db59a0fd1eb8.PNG

For my Scottish comrades, we await Thursday as I think this will bring some decent Snaw for us from the borders up through the central belt. Here's hoping !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Thurs is interesting, nothing settled as far as i'm concerned-

Plenty of time for it to all change 3 days away so not much point getting to hung up on sweet spots..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Very much so Thursday is still up in the air.

What we are starting to come into agreement is the broad position of the LP. However what really will dictate where the snow is the shape of the low and any secondary depressions that work around the main low, and such features can crop up at relatively short range and so we may see a shift north or south still from where we are.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Good for All areas but more north

IMG_20190128_102422.jpg

IMG_20190128_102418.jpg

I though the M4 was straighter than that?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Bearing in mind the recent change in the met office warnings for tomorrow. I,d say that even tomorrow is still all to play for let alone. Thursday/Friday.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Bearing in mind the recent change in the met office warnings for tomorrow. I,d say that even tomorrow is still all to play for let alone. Thursday/Friday.

TBH i think tomorrow is pretty much nailed now, the front will move SE through the country dropping a few cm on its way- thur for sure is still up for grabs..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I think given the huge spread on both the EPS/GEFS

ECM.thumb.gif.9d165707e4f7451ac6f06a7508b1e43d.gifGEFS.thumb.png.cca3a492381c695c20d16825e3efab09.png

It's impossible to call at the moment. Maybe a slight favouring towards "less cold" but I wouldn't want to put money on that. For me at the moment there's still no high latitude blocking/deep cold, so perhaps a continuation of lows sliding SEwards bringing an occasional snow risk, brief less cold blip this weekend.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think given the huge spread on both the EPS/GEFS

ECM.thumb.gif.9d165707e4f7451ac6f06a7508b1e43d.gifGEFS.thumb.png.cca3a492381c695c20d16825e3efab09.png

It's impossible to call at the moment. Maybe a slight favouring towards "less cold" but I wouldn't want to put money on that. For me at the moment there's still no high latitude blocking/deep cold, so perhaps a continuation of lows sliding SEwards bringing an occasional snow risk, brief less cold blip this weekend.

Less Cold is a good sign to me , as it is probably hinting at High pressure building North close to the Uk which will give us long term gain. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Please no more Meto warnings in here. Just Model discussion.

If anyone wants to open a thread up for snow chances this week to follow/discuss the event then that's no problem, Also Meto posts would be allowed in there. 

Regards.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
8 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Have to say at the moment the locations favoured are N Midlands/ W Midlands/Wales. The least favoured dare I say is E Anglia/SE.

This is simply due to several factors. The low on Tues was always likely to go SE of the UK and this has proved to be the case. We are dependant on snowfall via the front moving SE. This is likely to fizzle out as it heads SE.

End of the week/Weekend. Most could see snow, however the locations I mention could see it remain as snow. This is due to the flow becoming ENE,ly and the warming effects of the N Sea will reduce the risk of snow for many E areas and this includes N England (except hills).

The medium range continues to intrigue me and the outlook isn't going to be as flat and mild as the ECM suggests in my opinion. Big changes likely to occur in the medium range over the next 48hrs. Watch this space!!!

Good post but i may stand to be corrected but the North Sea temp should help The Eastern side of the uk in terms of snow.

The coastal side of eastern uk is currently having snow showers on a NNW at 4.oC.

As i say good post and correct me where necessary. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Been reading through. I live in East Midlands now, was Surrey this time last year. Just slightly NE of Loughborough. I am gonna call rain here. I am prepared to be found wrong, maybe a tiny dusting at best. 

I think, looking at the models I am just out of the sweet spot.