Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Typically rainfall to snow accumulation ratios are what, 1:8 or 1:10? so 20mm would correspond to 16/20cm of snowfall within a 6 hour period.. WOW.

As I say often on here, I'm not greedy, happy with half that so let's just round up to 10cm, very nice. The heavy PPN is very close to London, would be chaos for the late commute home towards Kent if its all snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

While we are in between runs, here's my occasional CFS summary.  These charts are the 9 last Z500 anomalies for February.  You need to look at CFS with a probabilistic view, therefore not just one run!  Here they are:

image.thumb.jpg.a9adbe5da7c0ebdb619941f5a01fa7c8.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.d53b233fafd60c0a57172cebe88511c0.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1d50afba3311e3c779615b4c931d9fd2.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.b957dd667047167bc158257f45b3cf2e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.229f3f0e8a612b9d82558f019ea4f3f6.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.af30806eb2fefb1b67404a6323cf8fe6.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.6a28c445f6ddc9f4dc8bc45f875f9754.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.b320a55cb41b9075d9ec87eeb3c874fa.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.05ce8c8300082fcdcb8785c28867cf6a.jpg

-AO for sure, -NAO most of them. 

❄️

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer

History tells us that these events always correct futher south than modelled. A one liner is sometimes all that's needed!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

While we are in between runs, here's my occasional CFS summary.  These charts are the 9 last Z500 anomalies for February.  You need to look at CFS with a probabilistic view, therefore not just one run!  Here they are:

image.thumb.jpg.a9adbe5da7c0ebdb619941f5a01fa7c8.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.d53b233fafd60c0a57172cebe88511c0.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1d50afba3311e3c779615b4c931d9fd2.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.b957dd667047167bc158257f45b3cf2e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.229f3f0e8a612b9d82558f019ea4f3f6.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.af30806eb2fefb1b67404a6323cf8fe6.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.6a28c445f6ddc9f4dc8bc45f875f9754.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.b320a55cb41b9075d9ec87eeb3c874fa.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.05ce8c8300082fcdcb8785c28867cf6a.jpg

-AO for sure, -NAO most of them. 

❄️

NAO doesn`t look like budging for now mate

nao.sprd2.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
5 minutes ago, PsychedelicTony said:

History tells us that these events always correct further south than modelled. A one liner is sometimes all that's needed!

Obviously because of all our home biases, being in Reading, the ECM mean is probably a little too north for for an all snow event for M4 southwards, so a southward correction would be welcomed. I don't think I've found a potential snow event so nerve-wracking before!

Can we all compromise here, Tuesday = Midlands southwards & Thursday = Midlands northwards?

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
3 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

NAO doesn`t look like budging for now mate

nao.sprd2.gif

CFS charts average for the whole month, agree it may take longer than the first week to take hold.  If it does if course, but it is likely as outcome down here in the humble troposphere, of the SSW.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
48 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Just going by the amount of precipitation you would expect to fall from a low of that depth I expect more snow than being shown on those depth charts. IMO 10cm around the sweet spot and widely 6-10cm around it. More snow is showing than expected for Thursday though 

344B394B-8B1B-4A2F-A887-A2213B9B5353.jpeg

Why is that chart giving everyone in the Midlands the L, that's not very nice of the ECM 

In all seriousness though, awesome looking event even though it wont verify like this. But could be a few surprises next week by looking at all the charts and reading what's been said in here.

Good luck to all.

Edited by Sparkiee storm
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

ECM mean gives higher snowfall totals for both events, this is for Bedford

9F13E555-80CC-4650-A445-DAFB2322C133.jpeg

Yup and more interesting is the mean has a slacker low at 144 hours compared to the op!!could be snowy week!!

Posted
Just now, CSC said:

What is the best scenario here for a dumping of snow SE UK? 

I have read earlier that if everything goes right, somewhere in SE could get 1ft..

Is this true?

If everything went right we’d by living in igloos mate .........

short answer is atop the highest hills in Kent or Sussex you could see some deep snowcover by wed am ......but better to wait till Tuesday first ......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I continue to be confused by those NAO charts .....the gefs, eps and geps are all negative NAO post 29th jan 

Yep them graphs are confusing. They change daily so not a lot of help really . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
Just now, Snipper said:

When should I come back for the downgrade and tears?

April

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

About 9-45 pm should do it !!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

around 10.15, my tears to when GFS sends thursday's low through Scotland

Posted

I’m getting confused. Isn’t this the Model Thread?. Just caught up this evening and have had to double check I wasn’t in the South East regional thread? Lol

Edited by WelfordRd
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, swfc said:

About 9-45 pm should do it !!!

No, just bumped into ECM down the pub... tonights run will be a amazing then he'll wake up with a headache and a massive downgrade... potentially 

Edited by chris pawsey
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ECM ensembles starting to sniff out a much deeper low on Tuesday. I think somewhere in the 980s is probable but long way to go yet.

18z will be interesting to see whether or not they carry on going north. I think though the models this evening is about as far north as it's likely, anything beyond that gets too extreme IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

If everything went right we’d by living in igloos mate .........

short answer is atop the highest hills in Kent or Sussex you could see some deep snowcover by wed am ......but better to wait till Tuesday first ......

Thats true..

Kent and Sussex are sweet spots at the moment.. tomorrow maybe northern Scotland..

look outside Tuesday and see!

As some have said before, 'I will believe it when I shovel it' 

• Like 1