Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GEFS have covered every possibility for that trigger low at D6:

gens_panel_lxe2.png

From past experience maybe D4 before we can be sure how it develops?

• Like 4

Posted
27 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Some of the temps next week on 6z are really really cold...!!

tues 9pm

image.thumb.png.f8a60f721b42d694b186539d0987ef83.png

thurs 9am.. look at SCOTLAND temps!!

image.thumb.png.b500fbcddb67cb7253c21ae20577f063.png

I think its fair to say next week is looking COLD!!

GFS 2m temps are rubbish too low resolution ECM has some extremely cold nights in Scotish highlands..

925F19D4-B137-4E22-A9AA-DAE7CB5CF8D0.thumb.png.67d28db3e8bffe599ac0265995003da0.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Yeah.

For those who don't know, to work out thicknesses you need to find out the geopotenial heights (that would be the colours on the meteociel charts for example, same with wetterentrale), lets say 528 for example here of the top of my head.

Then for you either add or subtract from that based on the pressure above or below 1000mbs.

So for example, with a low pressure of 970mbs, that actual thickness is 558, which would actually be high. In contrast if the surface pressure is 1020, the thickness would be 508, which would actually be very cold. Broadly anything below 520 is going to be snow in all but the most exceptional chances. 533 will be rain, except again in exceptional circumstances.

I remember reading that 528 dam is the snow line, is that true? 

Posted

Control run is a edge bit further south on this run, which brings more of the south into a pure snow set-up rather than snow-rain like the operational run.

We probably won't have a more solid grip on that low track though until 96hrs out, and even then could be quite sizeable differences right down to 12hrs out...so we have an awful long way to watch it and it could still very easily trend way too far north...or much further south.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Very cold day there Frosty, not surprising given the low thicknesses and also the probable fairly widespread snow cover by that point which will help hold back temperatures. Indeed the wrap around low drops quite a lot of snow, sweet spot would be S.Midlands/ Home counties on this run.

But now you say...barely nothing for home counties 3 posts later........unless I missed something?

Don't get me wrong....your work rate is admirable!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Excellent GEFS !!

Yes, snorter - miles better ridges at 192, going to make huge differences by 240 onwards, better UK trough.

• Like 3

Posted

I'd also say the control run looks more realistic for that PV over E.Canada, maybe a touch underdone but much more realistic IMO.

PS, there are some extreme snowfall solutions in the ensembles, with a VERY tight gradient between the snow-rain.

Still, a heck of a lot of disagreement on that track of the low, and don't expect any real clarity for some time yet, for good or ill.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

GFS 2m temps are rubbish too low resolution ECM has some extremely cold nights in Scotish highlands..

925F19D4-B137-4E22-A9AA-DAE7CB5CF8D0.thumb.png.67d28db3e8bffe599ac0265995003da0.png

If the Scottish highlands are very cold and shown in dark red then what are those purples across Cornwall & far south of Southern Ireland? Little confusing for me as it looks like land temperatures will be warmer than the seas, something you'd expect to see from late Spring 

Edited by Jonathan Rhodri Roberts

Posted
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Yeah.

For those who don't know, to work out thicknesses you need to find out the geopotenial heights (that would be the colours on the meteociel charts for example, same with wetterentrale), lets say 528 for example here of the top of my head.

Then for you either add or subtract from that based on the pressure above or below 1000mbs.

So for example, with a low pressure of 970mbs, that actual thickness is 558, which would actually be high. In contrast if the surface pressure is 1020, the thickness would be 508, which would actually be very cold. Broadly anything below 520 is going to be snow in all but the most exceptional chances. 533 will be rain, except again in exceptional circumstances.

No idea if any pedants our there corrected the detail Kold but you need to multiply the slp by 0.87 (rather than 1) to give you the actual number to subtract/add from the heights 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

No idea if any pedants our there corrected the detail Kold but you need to multiply the slp by 0.87 (rather than 1) to give you the actual number to subtract/add from the heights 

Here we go from my account in 2005 

14 years ago

The Sunglasses smiley is an 8

So its 0.8 

E9D5ED0B-6BC9-416C-85BC-70AC5E4FAC56.thumb.png.52384b1fc140d108a52f053cc4275500.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

Seems like all the models are giving good run after good run right now..☺ 

Imagine if we get some brilliant 12zs later!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
1 hour ago, chionomaniac said:

This chart is truly unbelievable. Off the scale cold into the heart of the USA. ( >-35C 850 hPa  temps)

GFSOPNA06_150_2.png

I love and really admire your input on here Chino, but have to admit I get seriously fed up with the yanks getting all the action every year. Definitely considering a relocation across the pond to Chicago, Wisconsin or anywhere else that has such unbelievable models that do actually verify! 

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like a rapidly developing situation now, if I was midlands north I would be getting very excited about this setup up potential, SW and the south I would say knife edge, but as has been said these features CAN trend south as we get nearer so nothing done yet.

Thats if we get past the first few hurdles.

• Like 2