Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted

A big improvement from the ECM.

Lower heights over southern Europe and a ridge to the north .  The UKMO looks similar at day 6 with the key features .

We could still do though with a shallower feature at day 8 on the ECM which will slide more .

The GFS isn’t as good and has a different evolution.

The key timeframe being between day 5 and 6  and how the models handle that troughing over the UK.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
27 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

Only one thing to say. Boom.

It’s certainly isn’t worthy of a boom until it’s within 24hours imo

too many things can and will go wrong in the uk south of Manchester in particular 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

It’s certainly isn’t worthy of a boom until it’s within 24hours imo

too many things can and will go wrong in the uk south of Manchester in particular 

Manchester is far worse than Birmingham for snow - its much less elevation and sheltered by big hills here to the East.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Delete Me
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Manchester is far worse than Birmingham for snow - its much less elevation and sheltered by big hills here to the East.

Spot on - Stoke is the same in the sense its hindered by the peak district

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

Big improvements all round overnight ! Lets hope it continues. A slight delay in the near term, but hopefully this time it will be worth it !

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I did say if you was south of there i didn’t specifically say Manchester as in they get loads

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
39 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

All roads lead to cold it seems. I don't think we should be taking any notice of the charts for 2 weeks time, it changes every single run.

True, especially about the changes every single run. The ECM in particular is very different compared to its previous run in FI, when isn't it it lately? If we stick to the 144h timeframe and less then thats the best bet, and plenty to play with too!

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, JBMWeatherForever said:

Big improvements all round overnight ! Lets hope it continues. A slight delay in the near term, but hopefully this time it will be worth it !

No delay in Snow chances . All models look Wintry next week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

A big improvement from the ECM.

Lower heights over southern Europe and a ridge to the north .  The UKMO looks similar at day 6 with the key features .

We could still do though with a shallower feature at day 8 on the ECM which will slide more .

The GFS isn’t as good and has a different evolution.

The key timeframe being between day 5 and 6  and how the models handle that troughing over the UK.

For me best output is ukmo from start to finish!!especially at 72 hours!!ukmo digs in colder air quicker thanks to the low whizzing through quickly and in a good position!!gfs and ecm deepen it too much and then leave it slap bang in the middle of the uk like a slug then delays cold by another 12 hours!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Direction of travel is much better this morning within the short/medium term.

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, BlackburnChris said:

No delay in Snow chances . All models look Wintry next week.

Wintry and below average certainly,  but the air is maritime in origin and we have to be careful about forecasting snow chances.

The boundary between snow and rain will be marginal and altitude and latitude all important. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Excellent, the 00z runs are decent upgrade this morning, for a change, what could possibly go wrong with the rest of today's runs? Happy days!:crazy:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Hmmm best to urge caution re the ecm as it sits outside the envelope this morning. I don’t want to see loads of winter is over posts later if it goes mild on the 12z!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Massive upgrade from the Ecm 00z longer term regarding cold..indeed, across the board it's looking great next week for snow..ice..frosts..hoping it continues the following week (s) too!❄️:cold:

240_thickuk.png

240_thick.png

240_mslp850.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Yep lovely improvement this morning . ECM looking tasty . @bluearmy the day 9 chart on the ecm , is there lots of snow ?? 

4DA440A0-F36B-47F9-8EF2-B445FB219649.png

221D31D0-0BD1-4D9E-9382-9264B1605C6E.png

D562C9DF-60B0-4735-B389-1D0A44147AD7.png

36C84B92-CC81-49E2-9E59-7CFA47B44DB6.png

4B678CAC-9CDF-42A2-939F-D538EB8F096D.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
12 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Hmmm best to urge caution re the ecm as it sits outside the envelope this morning. I don’t want to see loads of winter is over posts later if it goes mild on the 12z!

It's only just about an outlier by D10 of course, and we all know how likely that's going to be on the money whether it be showing mild or cold. The mean looks good throughout at around -5c from D4.

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
26 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Wintry and below average certainly,  but the air is maritime in origin and we have to be careful about forecasting snow chances.

The boundary between snow and rain will be marginal and altitude and latitude all important. 

It will and all depends on several factors on the day especially by the coast. 

I live on the Wirral Merseyside generally a poor place for snow, however Tuesday delivered snowfall right on the coast and laying snow just 2 minutes drive from here. I might add next week looks better than Tuesday just gone with snow chances for most of the country. 

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 1

Posted

The ECM more or less follows the mean up to day 7 and the envelope is pretty tight. Thereafter, there is some divergence as expected, although that is well outside any semi reliable time frame. It's worth remembering how useless the ensembles have been so far this winter, so probably wise not to go looking for any trends beyond 120hrs as they are likely meaningless. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

Yes, GFS looks like a decent upgrade in the mid term concerning snow chances, but sounds like its least favourable? However all should change in the next run 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

It will and all depends on several factors on the day especially by the coast. 

I live on the Wirral Merseyside generally a poor place for snow, however Tuesday delivered snowfall right on the coast and laying snow just 2 minutes drive from here. I might add next week looks better than Tuesday just gone with snow chances for most of the country. 

I think there will lots of similar incidents like this next week. Some places will get rain, where as 5 miles up the road it it will be snow.

Plenty of forecasting headaches next week, it might just come down to looking out the window.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

We all laugh about the boom charts at D10 but seriously there are a vastly bigger percentage of such boom charts put out by all models than there are boom realities.

So while we talk of certain bias that is built into individual models, we should really take into account a significant bias on the part of all models to bring cold snowy weather to us. Not sure I can remember ever seeing a cold spell that was never hinted at 10 days out in the models. But I've seen loads of winter nirvanas modelled 10 days out that never bore fruit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Thats the GEFS and EPS trending milder at the end now, expect the 30 dayer to dropthe E'ly or NE wording either today or tomorrow.

Ian Browns hacked feb’s account

ECM is quality. Theme of all 3 is good. Forecasting nightmare which is when surprises happen.

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 5