Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
16 minutes ago, E17boy said:

let's hope there is a change because at the moment I want to kick the backside of Mr high pressure to somewhere where the sun don't shine.

Greenland would be good for a start!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

I wouldn’t, if it sinks we will be stuck under the zonal train, fair better to have this HP cell over us than that load of rubbish, the conveyor of HP doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere soon and it’s deflecting and disrupting the lows out west keeping us predominantly dry.

Lol you can tell my frustration this high is our savour and destroyer, if it had positioned itself correctly (Greenland or Scandinavia) then it would have been our best friend. Unfortunately it has been very naughy and may have destroyed the chances of this winter going out with a bang , 

ps lol bang it can still do if it gets exceptionally warm and then we import storms but that is extreme. You know what I mean anyway lol  

kind regards

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
9 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Totally agree mate I am sad as well here in Walthamstow North East London I am counting myself lucky because I have seen lying snow 2 times although it did not last for long but at least I have seen it, but alas some poor people have not seen a flake yet. Let's just hope something changes in our favour and others who have not seen any yet do get s chance before we kiss goodbye to winter. 

Theres us always living in that hope that maybe it could still happen. 

Kind regards

Lucky you, I've seen falling snow for about a 10 minute period so far this winter! Literally this time last year I was assisting stuck drivers in the snow on our main road! Personally I think the chances of deep sustaining cold have all but gone, but as you know, nature is a fickle beast, 17 degrees in February followed by 2 degrees in March! Snow events will still be possible, even from a NW airflow. One last hoorah on this seriously under performing winter I hope! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Lucky you, I've seen falling snow for about a 10 minute period so far this winter! Literally this time last year I was assisting stuck drivers in the snow on our main road! Personally I think the chances of deep sustaining cold have all but gone, but as you know, nature is a fickle beast, 17 degrees in February followed by 2 degrees in March! Snow events will still be possible, even from a NW airflow. One last hoorah on this seriously under performing winter I hope! 

The chances of a deep freeze are low now. Last winters beast was exceptional, but looking at current European temperatures it's nothing exceptional, in fact some parts are experiencing unusual warmth as well, There is still time to squeeze in cold enough weather even if it's not long lasting lying snow even falling snow will save some crumbs. Anyway our search for winter wonderland will always continue. If not this winter we will be back next winter

• Like 3

Posted
39 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Are we still on for 20C next week?

Suspect so.  Still time to downgrade though. 

Edited by Don

Posted

Well at least it's consistent with colder Conditions as we approach the new month! Long way off, but personally I would welcome the change

gfs-1-348.png

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Well at least it's consistent with colder Conditions as we approach the new month! Long way off, but personally I would welcome the change

gfs-1-348.png

That hasn’t brought the cold forward by a day from the 6Z, has it?!

Posted
13 minutes ago, Don said:

That hasn’t brought the cold forward by a day from the 6Z, has it?!

Similar time frames I think, the GFSP 12z at same time frame is less encouraging though. Still has us in +4 uppers. And that big cold pool way out east seems annoyingly a million miles away! 

gfs-1-348 (1).png

Edited by Mattwolves

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Similar time frames I think, the GFSP 12z at same time frame is less encouraging though. Still has us in +4 uppers!! 

gfs-1-348 (1).png

That looks rather poor!

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

That looks rather poor!

Who would have thought it, the same company giving such large differences! The only saving grace this is all out in la la land. Hopefully things will change for the better soon Don as I am getting to the end of my tether! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Who would have thought it, the same company giving such large differences! The only saving grace this is all out in la la land. Hopefully things will change for the better soon Don as I am getting to the end of my tether! 

Theoretically, the parallel should be closer to the mark, sadly.  Just glad I got that snow two weeks ago and more importantly, made the most of it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

If there is nothing I hate more it’s when the seasons don’t feel like the seasons they are! It’s winter not summer! Why on earth are we possibly going to near 20C!? This poxy southwesterly needs to go away, I hate it mild in the winter! Can that high just get a kick up where the sun don’t shine up into Scandinavia please? Surely there is payback from winter at some point, it can’t let us get off this lightly! The uk doesn’t deserve this mild weather at all, it deserves cold

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

If there is nothing I hate more it’s when the seasons don’t feel like the seasons they are! It’s winter not summer! Why on earth are we possibly going to near 20C!? This poxy southwesterly needs to go away, I hate it mild in the winter! Can that high just get a kick up where the sun don’t shine up into Scandinavia please?

High pressure has been a pain in the butt all winter, even  when we had blocking devoloping over Greenland early december, the azores high put paid to it, otherwise we would most likely got in on the action that hit SE Europe! Only positive is if this pattern holds firm like last year is we would end up with a rather memorable summer again. The negatives being, serious drought issues! 

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
18 minutes ago, Don said:

Theoretically, the parallel should be closer to the mark, sadly.  Just glad I got that snow two weeks ago and more importantly, made the most of it!

Not again! as we've said before, think of members north of the M4, some of us had one of worst winters in history, 3 temporary dustings here, some not even that

• Like 1

High pressure has been a pain in the butt all winter, even we had blocking devoloping over Greenland early december, the azores high put paid to it, otherwise we would most likely got in on the action that hit SE Europe! Only positive is if this pattern holds firm like last year is we would end up with a rather memorable summer again. The negatives being, serious drought issues! 

My blood pressure is high now as well, having trailed through a week of boring weather. Something has to give in soon. Please mr high don't you get the message yet or shall I spell it out PLEAS GO.

You have a free offer of accommodation from Greenlaand or Scandinavia.

Please accept this brexit deal 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, E17boy said:

My blood pressure is high now as well, having trailed through a week of boring weather. Something has to give in soon. Please mr high don't you get the message yet or shall I spell it out PLEAS GO.

You have a free offer of accommodation from Greenlaand or Scandinavia.

Please accept this brexit deal 

Relax yourself, go and have a look at previous winters where substantial snow events have occurred in March on the back of average winters! Not saying there is a link, just that the possibility remains

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Not again! as we've said before, think of members north of the M4, some of us had one of worst winters in history, 3 temporary dustings here, some not even that

Don’t really get your point about my post?  Can we please put this one to bed.

Posted

Chances of a major cold snap come months end?? About as likely as Newport getting a result against man City!!!

Posted

Chances of a major cold snap come months end?? About as likely as Newport getting a result against man City!!!

It's 0-0 at half-time and they almost scored!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Or my football team not getting relegated!