Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The day 6-10 charts from the Euro tonight are exceptional.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

Why?

They are almost as exceptional or unusual as the pattern and uppers that we had last March, so although not what most of us want it’s interesting to see such remarkable warmth at this time of the year.

Obviously most of us are here for the cold hunt but in absence of that at the moment it will be interesting to see just how warm it will get, oh and the bonus of a nice low heating bill  

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

When the beast hit last year at the end of Feb, I was renovating a house, no heating and a big hole in the building (extension going up) it was so cold my tea actually froze in my cup while working inside!!

Now as much as I love the snow and frost that was pretty extreme to be working in, and not much fun to be honest.

Move forward a year and again I’m renovating a house with no heating, though we have doors and windows this time lol. So the current charts are actually really quite welcome!!

It is a shame many haven’t seen snow this winter (though many have) and the winter as a whole has been disappointing with the absence of a prolonged freeze up, but you have got to love the extremes of the UK weather, from the GREAT BEAST to the GREAT BASK in a year!

Get those BBQs out 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 hours ago, ICE COLD said:

Perfect ?? The ECM is disgusting it’s meant to be winter . Everyone wanting warm/heat in February ? Can’t put the words together to describe it . Horrid charts .

Hmmm, horrid for me would be a raging jet and lows barrelling into the country bringing wind and rain. Plus, we’re only a couple of weeks away from meteorological spring so if it cant be cold and snowy then I would quite like an early onset of Spring. This is far better than 6c and heavy rain. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Remember that when this happened in 1998 winter came in April! We could be in for a late cold spell at this rate, just trying to remain optimistic to see at least one more flake of snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The latest ICON is more amplified at 120 compared to it's 12z 123

iconnh-0-120.thumb.png.a32db15881162a60aaac7eabfd25c8a7.pngiconnh-0-123.thumb.png.fc55fd77a5bd720bc155ba4f79be1635.png

the trough into Scandi is more aligned south than SE, these little steps can have big effects later on,watch for further cutbacks SW on later runs.

iconeu-0-120.thumb.png.62c213b5815ef0f57bb8d6a442d0d784.pngiconeu-0-123.thumb.png.6a73df907ed818c63a571f9a07f109ff.png

whilst we see temps pumping up(of which i will enjoy,don't get me wrong)in the next week of so,this should give the trop pv a kick in the goolashes and with the Alaskan ridge showing it's hand too i wouldn't discount a trop split sometime in March,watch this space.

Edit:well the 18z gfs doesn't read the script at 120,who is right!

the icon or the gfs?

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

?

did anyone post or comment on the ec46 last night,no.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

?

Feb1991blizzard strongly hinted it wasn’t good if you’re after cold!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Cracking charts for a settled warm spell. Much better than wet and windy weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
20 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

?

Yes me  - it was atlantic trough then euro high - rubbish throughout.

Posted
9 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

iconnh-0-120.thumb.png.a32db15881162a60aaac7eabfd25c8a7.pngiconnh-0-123.thumb.png.fc55fd77a5bd720bc155ba4f79be1635.png

the trough into Scandi is more aligned south than SE, these little steps can have big effects later on,watch for further cutbacks SW on later runs.

iconeu-0-120.thumb.png.62c213b5815ef0f57bb8d6a442d0d784.pngiconeu-0-123.thumb.png.6a73df907ed818c63a571f9a07f109ff.png

whilst we see temps pumping up(of which i will enjoy,don't get me wrong)in the next week of so,this should give the trop pv a kick in the goolashes and with the Alaskan ridge showing it's hand too i wouldn't discount a trop split sometime in March,watch this space.

the icon or the gfs?

I mean, in any other winter, you'd look at those and say, "wow, there's a real prospect there!". Not this winter sadly, it's been one of so much promise, and too many emotional hang-ups! God help us addicts.

Edited by phil nw.
Ot comments removed
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Well it’s perfect golf weather and beautiful it is, and I have a feeling this is going to go on and on....we are in a rut yet again and is an extreme in itself.  But we are far from unprecedented warmth.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Gfs pointing to a shift in pattern come months end, and beginning of March, with much cooler air filtering in from the west

gfs-1-384.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

Quite remarkable mild on both GFS/ECM tonight - possibility of several days in a row reaching 14-15c quite widely at the end of next week. 

Can't help but think we'll pay for it sometime in March or April!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Liking the end frames of the GFSP, incoming - 8 uppers, at least a little bit of fi eye candy appearing compared to present.

gfs-1-372.png

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Feb1991blizzard strongly hinted it wasn’t good if you’re after cold!

Is anyone still bothering with ec46 after it's dismal performance during the winter, if you are, why exactly? 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, chris55 said:

When the beast hit last year at the end of Feb, I was renovating a house, no heating and a big hole in the building (extension going up) it was so cold my tea actually froze in my cup while working inside!!

Now as much as I love the snow and frost that was pretty extreme to be working in, and not much fun to be honest.

Move forward a year and again I’m renovating a house with no heating, though we have doors and windows this time lol. So the current charts are actually really quite welcome!!

It is a shame many haven’t seen snow this winter (though many have) and the winter as a whole has been disappointing with the absence of a prolonged freeze up, but you have got to love the extremes of the UK weather, from the GREAT BEAST to the GREAT BASK in a year!

Get those BBQs out 

Our SW/Central event will be forgotten.... like tears in rain.....:oldlaugh:

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

the icon or the gfs?

Agreed Si. Loving the dry, bright skies and relative warmth now, but don't mistake this for spring. The way the PV is behaving could take us for fools.

• Like 2

Morning all ,looked at gfs and ecm and I don't accept what they are showing what they are showing from 7 days out with the heights moving towards Scandinavia and a mild easterly following with colder air over Germany down to the balkans, never known that before ,in my opinion that will change in the coming days to much colder air creeping our way if the high becomes a block over to our northeast 

Gfs oz is hinting at height link up with Greenland at day 10 which is encouraging if future runs back this up ,if not early spring will continue with the block sticking to our East or southeast