Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Dead? It's not dead..it's merely resting!

Resting Edd!! This is a race horse with a broken leg, basically in trouble 

Posted
1 minute ago, IDO said:

WOW!

anim_pyz4.gif

(click for gif)

Starting to look like we could challenge mildest February on record instead of looking for a cold spell.

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Well you can add my Virtual towell to the pile of broken dreams, hype and promises. What this Winter has taught us all is background signals and expert forecasts mean nothing. Nature is its own thing that dosent follow a script. So next year if it shows mild and a heatwave expect blizzards and the next Ice age lol. Hope you all have an amazing Spring, Summer, Autumn. That's all folks until next Winter and the journey starts again.

See you later after the 18z

Posted
Just now, Drifter said:

Starting to look like we could challenge mildest February on record instead of looking for a cold spell.

It will have to beat 7.9C to achieve that, so probably unlikely.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

A zonal reset needed?

These sypnotics would be great in summer, you just no this pattern can't last till then. Zonal reset would be better, at least we could get some colder maritime shots. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

If we can't have cold I will take a early spring this would be very pleasant and mild especially East of high ground 

Screenshot_20190213-190410.png

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

If we can't have cold I will take a early spring this would be very pleasant and mild especially East of high ground 

Screenshot_20190213-190410.png

These patterns often stick for some considerable time, once established.  This is looking like no exception.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
12 minutes ago, Don said:

These patterns often stick for some considerable time, once established.  This is looking like no exception.

Shame it's not in the middle of summer otherwise I would be looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Don said:

It will be gone in time for Easter, May Bank Holidays and the start of summer......

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted

Evening all

After the awful morning runs, the 12Z output much better going forward with a strong signal for anticyclonic conditions becoming established in the last week of the month and approaching the turn of the month. Position and orientation of the HP a very long way from being resolved but possibilities for frost and that long-missed item, fog. Don't worry about the 850s if we go get an inversion regime - it's a pity we aren't seeing this in mid December.

Could we get the HP to the north or east - certainly options on the table at this stage.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Oh boy.. if that 12z Euro were just one month later then days 8-10 could only be described as spectacular.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
On 12/02/2019 at 17:02, Mattwolves said:

So the cold plunge spreading west on the 6z is now transferring SE on the 12z. With some slightly colder uppers pushing down from the NW, what a difference 6 hours makes, just watch the 18s bring it further west again. 

gfs-1-384.png

2uejxx2_th.jpg

Trying to post on here, keeps saying hidden and coming up in pink??? Cant even send message to mods to find out why? Any help please. Oh its working now!

Edited by snowsummer
Post worked!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
6 minutes ago, stodge said:

Evening all

After the awful morning runs, the 12Z output much better going forward with a strong signal for anticyclonic conditions becoming established in the last week of the month and approaching the turn of the month. Position and orientation of the HP a very long way from being resolved but possibilities for frost and that long-missed item, fog. Don't worry about the 850s if we go get an inversion regime - it's a pity we aren't seeing this in mid December.

Could we get the HP to the north or east - certainly options on the table at this stage.

Good grief frost and fog going into march!!! Thinking that's not what anyone would want to be honest.Id rather go sunny and mild-warm tbh and dry.just my preference but I'm all done with this winter or lack of it!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, snowsummer said:

Trying to post on here, keeps saying hidden and coming up in pink??? Cant even send message to mods to find out why? Any help please

restriction, usually means a warning point, has to be checked by a mod, if deemed appropriate, it will come on, could take upto hour

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Trying to post on here, keeps saying hidden and coming up in pink??? Cant even send message to mods to find out why? Any help please

Youve got me stumped, you have just replied to a post of mine, so I assume that's working. Sure one of the kind folk on here will be willing to help, or if any mod is available

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Mattwolves said:

Youve got me stumped, you have just replied to a post of mine, so I assume that's working. Sure one of the kind folk on here will be willing to help, or if any mod is available

with me it was restriction pre mod check, that post went up 4 mins ago, but maybe by a mod, earlier than that by member

• Thanks 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

It will be gone in time for Easter, May Bank Holidays and the start of summer......

You would think so, but who knows with our climate these days!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

at 240 the eps look slightly better than the 0z, awaiting the inevitable post telling us that they didn't come to anything in the extended though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Right so, 

basically, gfs has now switched at the 18z and is showing high pressure establishing itself in Northern Europe into eastern Scandinavia over the Baltic which is good! Winds begin to filter in from northern Russia over Eastern Europe and then the winds start to come in from a south easterly direction for us which is directly from where the at cold air will be sitting, however, this would only give us clear  and cold weather if it is still cold if it actually reaches us so nothing particularly exciting but i will be watching this high closely to see if it moves a bit west because if it does then we could have our last shot at cold and maybe go out with a bang to the end of this awful winter so far! Just waiting to see what ecm shows and then we’ll see. (Obviously this can be ignored probably as this is over a week away still so absolutely no reason why this should not change completely to westerlies!)

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Come on, peeps,  when there's bugger - all cold, there's bugger - all topic?

Let's pretend..?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Virtually no runs going below -5 at all now, let alone -10

image.thumb.png.594ba9cc6bd3ef0b5fdee79524160244.png

All cold stragglers wiped out....☹️

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Purga said:

Virtually no runs going below -5 at all now, let alone -10

image.thumb.png.594ba9cc6bd3ef0b5fdee79524160244.png

All cold stragglers wiped out....☹️

That’s what I call a mild outlook!  Will the last one to leave this thread please turn out the light

Edited by Don

Posted
5 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

Right so, 

basically, gfs has now switched at the 18z and is showing high pressure establishing itself in Northern Europe in the middle of Germany and Scandinavia basically to the east by the 21st. Winds begin to filter in from northern Russia over Eastern Europe and then the winds start to come in from a south easterly direction for us which is directly from where the at cold air will be sitting, however, this would only give us clear  and cold weather if it is still cold if it actually reaches us so nothing particularly exciting but i will be watching this high closely to see if it moves north because if it does then we could have our last shot at cold and maybe go out with a bang to the end of this awful winter so far! Just waiting to see what ecm shows and then we’ll see. (Obviously this can be ignored probably as this is over a week away still so absolutely no reason why this should not change completely to westerlies!)

The ecm 12s op was pretty rank tbh Oliver,  but as Feb as just pointed out, the EPS look a little more encouraging. 

Edit. On the other hand looking at what purga has just posted, are pretty abysmal 

Edited by Mattwolves