Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

It looks quite similar to the 6z still? Only thing better was the control going very cold I think

Look at the mean though on the actual chart, as i said, we either need the ridge a lot further North or a lot further West, actually though looking at a lot of the runs, if it wasn't for whats gone before and so late in winter, i would be confident further down the line with this WAA into the pole.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
Just now, seabreeze86 said:

The big stand out on the GEFS is dry, Mid latitude high prominent as has been for some time now

Screenshot_20190212-174559.png

Fantastic a gripping end to a miserable poor winter.Big EC coming up!!! sorry being dying to say that since late November

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
Just now, swfc said:

Fantastic a gripping end to a miserable poor winter.Big EC coming up!!! sorry being dying to say that since late November

Some people got the most snowfall in a decade and the coldest temps since 2010 were recorded so not at all a poor winter for some.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Look at the mean though on the actual chart, as i said, we either need the ridge a lot further North or a lot further West, actually though looking at a lot of the runs, if it wasn't for whats gone before and so late in winter, i would be confident further down the line with this WAA into the pole.

Feb you really are a trooper on here and I wish I had your optimistic outlook.look forward to November when it all starts again .well done pal

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, swfc said:

Feb you really are a trooper on here and I wish I had your optimistic outlook.look forward to November when it all starts again .well done pal

I am not that optimistic, thanks though, some accuse me of being too negative and some accuse me of ramping, i just point out the good and bad from each run and the likelyhood of snow and cold in xxx timeframe.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

Some people got the most snowfall in a decade and the coldest temps since 2010 were recorded so not at all a poor winter for some.

Where Norway!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
11 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

O look another banter post

I think without the banter folk would have pulled there hair out and taken there nails off by now. With output like this I'm actually glad some folk can still put a bit of humour to it.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
3 minutes ago, swfc said:

Where Norway!!!

Because the south had some snow and some cold temperatures, this winter isn’t so bad for them. Here in Yorkshire this has been an extremely poor winter compared to past years. Going purely on imby, it’s been the worst for a long time. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Decemberof2010 said:

Because the south had some snow and some cold temperatures, this winter isn’t so bad for them. Here in Yorkshire this has been an extremely poor winter compared to past years. Going purely on imby, it’s been the worst for a long time. 

Aye agree with that, here one of worst ever, even 13-14 was better

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
6 minutes ago, swfc said:

Where Norway!!!

No I think it was greece..or the Sahara desert, or maybe las vegas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
7 minutes ago, swfc said:

Where Norway!!!

Loads of the south

Posted
19 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Even the CFS is pants. Anyone got any straws ? 

687CB307-208D-436B-B7D3-550E05F8A9BA.png

Nope, that’s the last straw gone.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

Loads of the south

Can't be serious the snowfall couple weeks ago was the best snowfalls in decade in parts of the South if that's the case boy the winters in the South have been absolutely  terrible then.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

LOL at all the panicking!!

Lets see what EC comes up with guys ..

I have a good idea, but always a chance of a pleasant surprise!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

Can't be serious the snowfall couple weeks ago was the best snowfalls in decade in parts of the South if that's the case boy the winters in the South have been absolutely  terrible then.

Apart from last year, they have been pretty dire since 2012/13, yes!  I did  receive the largest snowfall since December 2010 on February 1st, so haven’t done bad this year in an otherwise poor winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Anyone know what the highest recorded max was, for today? The last time I looked, it was 14C, on the Moray Firth...If I remember rightly, yesterday's GFS was predicting around 8C; if so, that's a 6C underestimation...

I hope the FV3 does a better job with the Foehn effect...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM and FV3 at T192:

image.thumb.jpg.3d2e35bb80f239df7053f06ca09e0b33.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.d866a5edb8fb8d9bb6a50c137eff2ae0.jpg

of the two, the FV3 is sharper and more amplified, with greater warm air advection directed polewards so interested to see how this run goes. ECM not a disaster, this is day 8, so there's every chance this block could get better placed as it comes into the reliable in future runs, I would be very interested to see what the T144 charts show this time Thursday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

FV3 T276 and it's looking like GAME ON on this run:

image.thumb.jpg.e63a2e355c89848c5a0bdb1a0cfc3b96.jpg

T312:

image.thumb.jpg.e63a2e355c89848c5a0bdb1a0cfc3b96.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.ae84238419c9d9de2ff322a078866dfe.jpg

Well into FI, of course, but the important timescale was earlier, so this isn't an outlandish evolution.

image.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Ecm 12z quite a bit further SE with the cold pool than the 0z morning run

ECM0-240.gif

ECM0-240 (1).gif

Posted

A poor ECM run.

By day ten no energy heading se and a lack of trough disruption to the west . It’s currently like pulling teeth to get any ridging sufficiently ne .

The last chance saloon is about to close down!  If it wasn’t for the MJO I would already be throwing the towel in on any meaningful cold and snow before winter ends.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1