Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
25 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

As winter begins to wain we must remind outselves 'peak' cold availability from the N/NE/E is still on tap for another 3-4 weeks- so although the suns height does temper any daytime low maxima - we are still in the game.

Im drawn to the nice sight of the PV stretched south into Scandi around day 9 & this should continue to be out focus if we believe 18/19 can squeeze another cold spell - 06z was close but no cigar....

If I find out who it is that's taken all our cigars this winter I'll give them a piece of my mind, and trust me, it wont be pleasant! :oldangry::oldlaugh:

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely, pleasant weather today. Clear skies and a gentle breeze, feeling pleasantly warm in the sun. As far as I’m concerned, this failed winter can do one. I’m looking forward to more days like this. 

Also looking forward to just having one model discussion thread again, so it’s not bias on one specific weather pattern, with the other thread being near deserted/too strict. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
48 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

As winter begins to wain we must remind outselves 'peak' cold availability from the N/NE/E is still on tap for another 3-4 weeks- so although the suns height does temper any daytime low maxima - we are still in the game.

Im drawn to the nice sight of the PV stretched south into Scandi around day 9 & this should continue to be out focus if we believe 18/19 can squeeze another cold spell - 06z was close but no cigar....

Thanks Steve. A sensible post outlining the fact that cold is still available to us if we can achieve the right synoptics. 

Bearing in mind that anything beyond 144 is FI even in the current seemingly slow changing set up. There is still in my mind plenty to play for.. I,m not hunting long lasting deep cold now but possibilities of heavy snowfall and that is a far from vain hope between mid Feb and mid march.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Unfortunately, we'll be lucky to get a dog end out of the 12z never mind a cigar! It's like a crap film, you're determined to watch it through hoping to God the end will be better.

Edit...It didn't! Surely gfs has lost the plot with this chart...southerly gale??

GFSOPEU12_276_1.png

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Interestingly the SST this week have moved in direction towards anomaly that resembles  Atlantic Tripole a bit more, this along with a possible MJO phase 8 could contribute to -NAO towards the end of Feb. we will see

cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png

NAO analysis.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Interestingly the SST this week have moved in direction towards anomaly that resembles  Atlantic Tripole a bit more, this along with a possible MJO phase 8 could contribute to -NAO towards the end of Feb. we will see

cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png

NAO analysis.png

Could be another wet March if that were the case then? Southerly tracking lows and all that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

awful sums up this afternoons gfs call it what you want euro hp or bartlett hp for at least the next 10 days we are stuck with this slug. not many februarys  that i can think of as bad as this one truly shocking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I still recall being mocked, for suggesting temps of 15, in January 2003...I think it got to 18, somewhere near Aberdeen (Aboyne?)...Don't underestimate the Fohn effect...?

Indeed its a realistic forecast for 15C+ later this week and those who are pointing this out should be cut a bit of slack....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, igloo said:

awful sums up this afternoons gfs call it what you want euro hp or bartlett hp for at least the next 10 days we are stuck with this slug. not many februarys  that i can think of as bad as this one truly shocking

February very rarely delivers, I mean I’m only in my twenties but down here I think I can only think or one or 2 proper snow falls in February, even March has more. Quite often an anticyclonic month if my memory serves me.

Nothing much to talk about amongst the models this afternoon, very poor output if any sustained cold is what you’re after, hopefully the CFS has something at 750 hours for us lol  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow that settles then freezes!
5 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

No, but they tied in with a lot of the cold ramping that went on in here which people find acceptable but moan when people post mild charts.

Well you do have to applaud the high skill levels and results of those forever suggesting that we will experience mild weather and south westerly winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
21 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Could be another wet March if that were the case then? Southerly tracking lows and all that.

Bear in mind they represent change in anomalies rather then the SST anomalies themselves. Well spotted though and its small steps in the right direction.

I think the lower heights around the Azores are changing things. The westerlies on the southern flank from any low pressure systems are pushing warm air towards the African coast. SST's on the coast of Africa are strongly linked with SSTs over the NW North Atlantic so you can see the tripole pattern in the change of anomalies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Interesting development to our N/NE as per met musings which could flip to cold quickly.

Flattened in low res but worth noting

anim_avx2.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
20 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

gfseu-0-276.png?12

With high Pressure still forcast o be around the UK anything could happen

Yes, we have seen repeated efforts at attempts to build heights to the N-NW. Usually at this time of year, with a weakened PV, I would be hopeful of maybe something. As you say, at least there is the chance, rather than a flat no-hope flow.

See how it plays out...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 minutes ago, aitchbomb said:

Well you do have to applaud the high skill levels and results of those forever suggesting that we will experience mild weather and south westerly winds.

I think that the highest skill-level award should go to all those who've been predicting Snowmageddon to occur, by Day 10, ever since the end of October...and got it right?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 minutes ago, aitchbomb said:

I did, but wouldn't say skill, I'm only amateur that knows basics

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

From one extreme to another(GEFS)  

gens-3-1-384.png

gens-12-1-384.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

So we end up with cold uppers in the central Atlantic, and cold uppers a million miles east!! With the UK in the middle of no where. Surely the models should be latching onto something by now, patience is wearing thin.

gfs-1-324 (1).png

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
35 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

February very rarely delivers, I mean I’m only in my twenties but down here I think I can only think or one or 2 proper snow falls in February, even March has more. Quite often an anticyclonic month if my memory serves me.

Nothing much to talk about amongst the models this afternoon, very poor output if any sustained cold is what you’re after, hopefully the CFS has something at 750 hours for us lol  

Where are you? Some of the most notable snowfalls in Sussex during the 1980s came in the last week of February,think in 1986 we had a heavy fall of snow at the back end of a freeze on the 1st March.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1