Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
39 minutes ago, snowspotter said:

With regards to this so called winter . It’s been the worst by a country mile with the model performance . All rather embarrassing when I’ve told friends and family the science behind what was going to happen.

I agree with this.  Mind you I wouldn't say I was embarrassed. I've just lost a bit of credibility. Hey ho, hardly too big a deal!

• Like 1

Posted

40C this summer anyone . . .

I may be wrong, but it does seem that nowadays, far more factors have to be just right to get cold to the UK.

But having lived through the late 80s and 90s winters where cold was rare, I’m prepared to accept that we might be in such a run again.

Edited by Djdazzle

Posted
1 minute ago, Premier Neige said:

No need to be sarcastic. Just commenting on your 3c warmer opinion. To me it doesn't really add up. 

I'm gonna post some charts in the general winter discussion thread , just what I think

Posted

Read a post on Facebook yesterday that the jet stream is below the equator and has been since the 23rd January 2019? Does anyone know whether this really is true and/or correct? And if so, what effect this would have upon the weather?

Edited by Jason74

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

I think it was JH that said here the other day 'maybe the SSW event has been and gone'.

The evidence is compelling imo that it has done just that,and any scraps we might pick up now before spring will be a reaction to other global drivers.

The reaction to the end of December SSW event was felt to the East and South of the British Isles during January, with biblical snowfall and a freeze up in several European countries.

What we saw in the UK toward the months end imo was the 'fag end' of the SSW event,pretty much getting every last drop out of what,on the face of it, wasn't a particularly great set up for snowfall.

Might just have to count our blessings that some people had decent snowfall over a two week coldish spell.

Posted

End of Feb most likely landing point for any cold, thats if we see the hoped for MJO response.

Would be interested to hear from GP as to what has gone so horribly wrong for us.

Posted

Unfortunately not every SSW is going to be beneficial for us, I'd say we've had a fairly good run upto now of them doing the business, even if delayed such as 2013 (and who knows, still not impossible even now for that to be the case).

Also I really feel people have been spoiled by the Beast last year. I can only ever recall in all my time of looking through the archives, maybe 2 set-ups that evolved in a similar fashion in the last 70 or so years. So that would suggest a once in 30-40 year event happened last March. To expect that evolution in any given winter is pretty unlikely and anyone who harbours that as a realistic expectation, is being very UNrealistic.

Anyway main story today is less about the cold (though night times would probably stand a fair chance of being cold still) and more about a prolonged dry spell being suggested by the models with high pressure being mostly in charge. Hopefluly we can have some clean air so we can at least get a decent frosty spell if nothing else. We may still get lucky with regards to the blocking placement as well, the ensembles aren't completely opposed to it still, but knowing this winters track record with even half hearted ridges...

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

End of Feb most likely landing point for any cold, thats if we see the hoped for MJO response.

Would be interested to hear from GP as to what has gone so horribly wrong for us.

I too would be interested along with hearing from Chionomaniac and Bring Back 1962-3.

• Like 4

Posted

Right I'm sticking these charts in here . Courtesy of Meteociel. I'm not smart enough to calculate the area covered by -28hpa but to my eye there looks less with recent decades. I've picked todays date from last 7 decades on todays date . Is this just a trick of the eye? to me there looks a lot less in recent decades of really cold air in Arctic regions hence what I was banging on about  

1959.png

1969.png

1979.png

1989.png

1999.png

2009.png

2019.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Jason74 said:

Read a post on Facebook yesterday that the jet stream is below the equator and has been since the 23rd January 2019? Does anyone know whether this really is true and/or correct? And if so, what effect this would have upon the weather?

you shouldn’t believe everything you read on facebook.. there is a subtrop jet stream and polar jet steam, the former being closer to the equator and the latter relevant to us 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

February 1998 anyone? Early spring on the way if this mornings models are to be believed! Certainly a step away from any potential wintry weather across the board this morning 

ECM.thumb.png.92de67cfcc36a8a3c2ea4b1a346e9272.pngGFS.thumb.png.e408c03219837fff9f7ed4adb217e2d1.pngGFS.thumb.jpg.63f69f30d89efd27bc387ee2b3c9ad06.jpg

Maybe we should have a "hunt for Spring" thread.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Kudos to @Bristle boy for arguably the most accurate winter forecast of the season: we have indeed 'fed off the scraps' for the entire winter! 

The above notwithstanding the fact that something truly remarkable might happen, over the next 19 days...Though, I'm not counting on it, given the current model output!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

you shouldn’t believe everything you read on facebook.. there is a subtrop jet stream and polar jet steam, the former being closer to the equator and the latter relevant to us 

Plus as well that there are always Jet streams below the equator, the Southern Hemisphere Jetstreams!

Posted
1 hour ago, snowspotter said:

Well I suggest this thread is retired.  The climate has changed to such an extent that I would go so far as to say the models , particularly long range are now not really of much use . 

What makes you think long range forecasting was much better 20 to 30 years ago to now?

The answer is it wasn't

Posted
22 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

February 1998 anyone? Early spring on the way if this mornings models are to be believed! Certainly a step away from any potential wintry weather across the board this morning 

ECM.thumb.png.92de67cfcc36a8a3c2ea4b1a346e9272.pngGFS.thumb.png.e408c03219837fff9f7ed4adb217e2d1.pngGFS.thumb.jpg.63f69f30d89efd27bc387ee2b3c9ad06.jpg

It doesn't look quite as stubborn, but briefly it does have similarities for sure. I think we should just have amplification to avoid that fate in the longer term, but could get pretty mild for a time unless we get a good clean high come in.

Also, as summer sun said, probably the dryness is the main feature on the models this morning. Though this week just gone will probably mean unless we have a truly dry spell, we won't be that much below average this  month even if the high does hang around.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

It doesn't look quite as stubborn, but briefly it does have similarities for sure. I think we should just have amplification to avoid that fate in the longer term, but could get pretty mild for a time unless we get a good clean high come in.

We are looking at late Feb now mate- the last hope is MJO phase 8- we may get a decent northerly via Greeny height rises.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
37 minutes ago, snowspotter said:

Right I'm sticking these charts in here . Courtesy of Meteociel. I'm not smart enough to calculate the area covered by -28hpa but to my eye there looks less with recent decades. I've picked todays date from last 7 decades on todays date . Is this just a trick of the eye? to me there looks a lot less in recent decades of really cold air in Arctic regions hence what I was banging on about  

1959.png

1969.png

1979.png

1989.png

1999.png

2009.png

2019.png

Certainly looks like less, but I do wonder how good the resolution was for past decades.

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

We paid for February 1998 with April 1998. Snow fell each day of that Easter weekend and had two days where snow lay at 9am just after that Easter break. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
3 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Certainly looks like less, but I do wonder how good the resolution was for past decades.

I think this is probably largely the reason. Models were likely lower resolution back then so you weren't able to see the actual temperatures in quite so much detail. I suspect thanks to climate change the Arctic is less cold in the winter months than it was back then too, but the resolution of the charts likely the biggest factor. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

What?..

Sticking 2 my guns as i have been..in regards to the most noted part of winter likely late feb/early march..

Ive also supplied ample data/reasons/exactions/opinions to the steak..on numerous occasions!..

And will contintue all those notions.

Its a shame some are not seeing what myself..is seeing because the mood would likely be more free-flowing...rather than 'wrist slashing'..

Im buisey today in my other life!!!!

But i will stick up..as per an analysis/aligned with data an opinion hopefully sometime later...

I think the issue is not that you have been sticking to yours guns, but keep telling people to expect proper winter weather in 10 to 14 days. Then keep changing the dates, just like today. 

I really don't mind people sticking to their guns, it is the hunt for cold thread after all. However, nobody here has forecast this winter in any confidence and so it is pointless telling people to expect wintry weather any time soon.

No more ramping please.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

The negativity in this thread is more than justified. Im not sure many of us in here really get on board in the hunt for snow and cold for a week or two chase, only to be rewarded with a hard frost.

Its like looking forward to going out to a nice restaurant and being served a ready meal with tinned food, despite the money you paid where you have invested in the experience; just like we invest our time looking for cold weather.

The high amplitude phase 8 mjo is our last hope in all honesty. End of the month/early March most likely response... hopefully.