Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Was thinking about people assuming that a late feb easterly will bring a BFTE .... last feb was exceptional- the ridge got way to our ne which enabled the Siberian cold pool to be advocated a long way sw into nw Europe  ..... and beyond ....

If the ridge can retogress toward Iceland 2nd half of month as per forecast MJO progress implies, and it's a BIG if, then we could perhaps open up the Siberian or arctic  floodgates .. but we need to see whether the TPV co-operates too. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The ECM mean peaks with a low of around -4 on the 00z 12z was around -6.

The 00z mean is a bit higher from the 11th onwards compared with the 12z yesterday

00z

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.703875ae141ecd6261a0f0dca192ae10.png

12z

12.thumb.png.2ea5c9accee4a96b10db9bc846828256.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Recently we looked like we were staring down the barrel at a prolonged predominantly mild zonal outlook but the Ecm 00z op / mean are still favouring the scandi high block in the mid range..it goes without saying that I'm praying for a very strong finish to this winter..out like a lion hopefully..I'm seeing potential building blocks!! !!

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-216.gif

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
24 minutes ago, shaky said:

Seriously though regardless of that phase 8 MJO BJO whatever you call it!! watch everything flatten out again as if by magic lol!!let the flatten start with the gfs 06z!!!!its a horrible tease from the models especially when the winter has been so boring!!i hope we see the scandi high happen but right now am saying no!!

Morning shaky...the BJO (or Boris Johnson Oscillation) always has both extremes ready for exploitation!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

06z GFS seems to be a lot slower building the ridge N and NE next week compared to ECMWF, but then the model does faff around getting out of phase 6 then slow through phase 7 compared to EC too on the RMM plots, so maybe why it takes an eternity to get the high over Scandi. The slower the ridge building north the more likely it is that it doesn't build where we want it as the TPV has more time to strengthen then flattern out the flow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The ECM mean peaks with a low of around -4 on the 00z 12z was around -6.

The 00z mean is a bit higher from the 11th onwards compared with the 12z yesterday

00z

12z

At this stage I wouldn't expect much colder temps to be honest.

What is apparent to me is from +168 to +384 we are finally seeing a weakening of the PV over the Canadian side of the Arctic with this transferring over towards Siberia/Asia. This can clearly be seen by looking at the N Hemisphere GEFS mean charts for this period.

My focus remains beyond the Scandi HP, should it develop?

Edited by TEITS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Fundamental differences between the GFS and ECM ops as to how they handle the wave train from upstream around D7.

gfseu-0-186.thumb.png.836dc8f2625164487080ae4560602d6e.pngECE1-192.thumb.gif.078939ca9041d85f8aa2a2dd2506017d.gif

The GFS cuts through the Atlantic trough with the HP cell creating a cut off low near the Azores whilst the ECM pushes the trough towards the Bay of Biscay. Such major variation means the GFS will flatten the pattern as the next wave enters the UK arena, whereas the ECM blocks that cell from interfering with the nascent HLB'ing.

Clearly, the ECM solution gives a greater chance for medium-term cold flows, GFS will need further goes...

• Like 1

Posted

Aaaaand the 06z.........YAWN!!!flat again!!on to the 12zs for a more amplified pattern and to then show a more realistic flatter show on tomorrows 00zs!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
5 minutes ago, shaky said:

Aaaaand the 06z.........YAWN!!!flat again!!on to the 12zs for a more amplified pattern and to then show a more realistic flatter show on tomorrows 00zs!!!

But we know the the GFS has a bias towards taking things to far east and flattening the pattern Shaky. So not really to be trusted in a possible Scandi high development scenario. 

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The 00z FV3 was amazingly similar to the 00z ECM out to day 10, and went on to retrogress the block via an undercut from the Atlantic and then set up a major unstable cold import from the NE for the final 5 days of Feb.

It's actually a textbook match to what's historically been associated with the MJO crossing P7-P8 at high amplitude in Feb. It's worth noting that P8 shows good correlation to a strongly negative AO-NAO joint pattern regardless of whether there's a downwelling reversal from a SSW. Only downwelling zonal winds ahead of a reversal seem able to counter it - as we were unfortunate enough to see with respect to the middle two weeks of Jan just gone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

And what a chart this one would be - were it to occur anytime between early April and early October! Now, on the other hand, it'd take Davy Crocket, to hunt the easterly, on that!:help:

image.thumb.png.274216b3d009a1ea739b32f5ce6ff251.png

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, shaky said:

Not a bad ending  to the gfs06. It may take the HP a couple of attempts to push further north, especially at the beginning with a raging PV. Models have consistently been showing a much weaker PV in the long term and that should finally allow the HP to push north without too much difficulty. Let's not forget that we are in February and statistically our chances of seeing blocking are much better than in December for example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS Para suggesting snowfall on Sunday across Midlands/N Wales/ E Anglia.

GFSPARAUK06_84_25.png

Might cheer up Victor Meldrew i.e Shaky!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, TEITS said:

GFSPARAUK06_84_25.png

I don't believe it!:hi:

Posted
8 minutes ago, TEITS said:

GFSPARAUK06_84_25.png

Yup and to make matters worse that gap in accumulations is right over my house in the east midlands!!ridiculous really!!good try though my friend!!

Posted
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Yup and to make matters worse that gap in accumulations is right over my house in the east midlands!!ridiculous really!!good try though my friend!!

It won't even reach Leicester in the end lol . Feel sorry for shakey as I was born in Leicester , and my family have kept me updated on the lack of Snow .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
31 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

That is definitely not an AO+ situation, but a chart full of potential, especially considering what we have been seeing on the models over the past week or so

untitled.png

Oh the animals are back! We have a to rest our hopes on. Promising chart that lets hope we build on it on the 12z runs.

Posted

It looks like the 6z output is less amplified than the 0z which is not the trend we want. This is noticeable in the ICON and GFS parallel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Simply lovely

image.thumb.png.756463022500590b9f70fee62d9adf69.png

image.thumb.png.53ada44b2000f16f042e99223792cc82.png

image.thumb.png.36295a5f76380bda2d4e9f48065b0a19.png

Come here thurs more

image.thumb.png.972d7ae15fe436d5a5e5bcbcb6c3d250.png

image.thumb.png.df1b03beb9e8067120890b5dc432c7c0.png

• Like 6

Posted
15 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Simply lovely

image.thumb.png.756463022500590b9f70fee62d9adf69.png

image.thumb.png.53ada44b2000f16f042e99223792cc82.png

image.thumb.png.36295a5f76380bda2d4e9f48065b0a19.png

Come here thurs more

image.thumb.png.972d7ae15fe436d5a5e5bcbcb6c3d250.png

image.thumb.png.df1b03beb9e8067120890b5dc432c7c0.png

Very decent prospects indeed for later in the month.

Clearly the potential for an eventual west based -NAO but I would suggest we get the -NAO in place first, before we start fretting about that!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1