Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
11 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Agree somewhat..

And i find myself saying AGAIN- given the above state..and microscale dynamics..a southerly routs is all but impossible to avoid...lol..

Some drama on here AWAITS!!!

Word of warning though, if the Icon / ECM more rounded feature verifies, there will be a heck of a lot falling as rain, even when its tracked over me, the bbc has only ever had the sleet symbol not the snow symbol.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Man that low is severe on 12z icon. Really do need that tracking into the channel. I know it reduces snow opportunity but you really don't want yo be on the south side of the low...you'd basically be looking at a one in 10-20 year wind event in that setup. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Word of warning though, if the Icon / ECM more rounded feature verifies, there will be a heck of a lot falling ass rain, even when its tracked over me, the bbc has only ever had the sleet symbol not the snow symbol.

No word of warning needed pal..

No1 has said what will happen..(exactly).

Thats just a basic miss -interp that is a common feature(no pun intended) on here..

A syphon of lower uppers is already my favour mixing and diggin in..

And the south/south central belt..are again in the equation..

But as again..lets study the gradients.

As we gain

Edited by tight isobar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

No word of warning needed pal..

No1 has said what will happen..(exactly).

Thats just a basic miss -interp that is a common feature(no pun intended) on here..

A syphon of lower uppers is already my favour mixing and diggin in..

And the south/south central belt..are again in the equasion..

But as again..lets study the gradients.

May the gradients be ever in your favour.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
Just now, kold weather said:

Man that low is severe on 12z icon. Really do need that tracking into the channel. I know it reduces snow opportunity but you really don't want yo be on the south side of the low...you'd basically be looking at a one in 10-20 year wind event in that setup. 

How's about a 10-20 year snow event kold, this could end up a similar event to last Thursday but with much more wind, bets are on for the exact track of this feature

Posted
2 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

icon-0-180.png?06-12

Not sure the high get as far north as some would like, but it is dragging in continental air by the end

Nice bit of late season cold for the Balkans and the Greeks though.

36 minutes ago, Disco_Stu said:

Actually I hope you are correct on the next cold spell and like most in here, i certainly think your method of input to the thread is both unusual and entertaining. It is because if your regular entertaining input that i have noticed that quite often your predictions of cold spells are incorrect, (just like the models have been all winter).  

So, my previous question was quite genuine when I asked how you are sure of the next cold spell? 

Anyway, keep up the entertaining posts!

Another member for the ignore list.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, jethro said:

I've had my snow fix for the year, more than happy for spring to come and if it has to be cold and snowy, you lot up north can keep it.

We almost had our snow fix in North West London but in the end our flunk fuelled your fix. So if you don't want it lol send it north and to the south east preferably to all of London and Greater London not just the tiny South east corner 

Posted

Cornwall gets 100mph+ gusts at 87hrs on this run, south coast similar. Track of the low just stays far enough south to keep the most severe winds in the channel. SE still gets widespread 70mph+ even in that case.

Snow similar places as last event but not as much due to it being fairly quick moving and really only the back part of the system.

However snow a total side event compared to the wind event potential on this run. (A touch further north and it's basically a 87 reduex). 

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Nice bit of late season cold for the Balkans and the Greeks though.

look 4 the push back..On upcoming outs...

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

There's got to be a better-than-average chance, that winter 2018-19 will be remembered as the Winter of Unrealised Potential...?

it's been said before that winter starts on the first snowfall and ends on the last snowfall....for me, winter was from 31st Jan to the 1st Feb....but what a stonking winter it was!.....An absolute belter! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Only runs to 90hrs, but looks like it's moving into the SW and moving ENE. Probably south of 00z.

but by how many miles!!!.....5!!!, 10!!! or 50!!!....Shaky needs to know!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

UKMO at 96z cold wish we could split that PV

UN96-21.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Well a good spell of windy weather coming up, potentially severe and disuptive for some, starting tomorrow morning which sort of came up unexpected in the short term with a quick blast of potentially severe gales for Eastern England, this does not last long at all though but with the timing of when the strongest gusts arrive, there could be some disruption from this. 

Then the most widespread event happening Friday and into Saturday with a very deep low hitting the UK, still in a development stage so the exact positioning of the strongest gusts is still not clear cut but it should start on Friday afternoon with Ireland, Northern Ireland, and western coasts getting hit by severe gales and then the strongest  winds slowly transfer towards Southern Scotland and Northern England with some very gusty winds for SE Scotland and NE England(with the affect of being on the 'lee' of the Pennines which can increase wind gusts substancially) overnight into Saturday morning before very slowly easing although still gusty during Saturday. Bound to be power cuts and falling trees from this low pressure system and no doubt the Met Office will have it named by tomorrow morning(or they certainly should anyway!).

Sunday's low is a lot more uncertain and its one of those that could end up being quite a shallow feature but the models at the moment are indicating quite a strong storm but too far out to place to much analysis on it. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, bluearmy said:

Looks like it didn’t have the storm sat/sun 

Wonder if Exeter will modify it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, kold weather said:

06z ECM still has a deep low coming towards the south at 90hrs, probably snow for Midlands.

That is not the main story. Winds on south side of low is 65kts sustained. Winds at 850hpa often give a clue to wind gusts, and those are at 100kts. Wind gusts probably 100-105mph at surface. Severe wind storm rather than snow would likely be the case.

Needs to move south so we can avoid that wind.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

gfs-0-78.png?12

GFS taking it south, just an open wave

Weak 994mbs closed low on the high res version. Totally different from 12z icon and 06z ECM.

GFS seems more realistic in terms of intensity but we will see.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

gfs-0-120.png?12gfs-0-126.png?6
More amplified GFS

Shame about ukmo absolutely horrendous!!!hopefully ecm follows gfs and arpege!!arpege looks wonderfull at the same time frame!!