Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
29 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Add to that GFS does actually increase the ridge potential compared to yesterday.

Yesterday GF06z mean

GFSAVGEU06_174_1.png

Today's 0z mean for same time

GFSAVGEU00_156_1.png

I would say the trend seems to be toward anticyclonicity by the looks of it.

Indeed and running through the gefs the majority in t plus 300 build a strong high over or near us. Depending on where that sat would mean big differences to us. What isn’t the theme is a strong westerly flow with low pressure to our north and highs to our south. Hence why the professionals have little confidence moving forward. 

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Any potential from the t144 chart on Ukmo ?

A6141145-744C-4835-AA65-172C7B7E4133.gif

The most amplified out there and therefore least likely ......

ec looks about right I think .....hope for more ampl but upstream very strong 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Difficult to see next weekend's Atlantic ridging attempt not being flattened. Nothing looks likely to be getting underneath any ridiging for the next 10 days. A couple of coldish transient days but predominately Atlantic weather.

After that though, maybe the Control shows the way forward... ?

gensnh-0-1-324.thumb.png.f31c3d0b18adc4c7bb5b895bb617fc0f.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Difficult to see next weekend's Atlantic ridging attempt not being flattened. Nothing looks likely to be getting underneath any ridiging for the next 10 days. A couple of coldish transient days but predominately Atlantic weather.

I’m favouring over or to our ne but I’ve been favouring that all winter

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Disappointed this morning after better runs last night , we just can’t build any momentum it’s Been the same all winter . That lobe of death as it’s called just won’t Tut off .  

Posted
16 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

At that timescale the eps show a mean scandi ridge but alas it’s more sceuro after yesterday’s noon run showed a propensity to lower heights up there (against previous guidance). The mean does look like it hides some varied clusters though but much less Euro low anoms than the previous suite 

Posted
4 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Disappointed this morning after better runs last night , we just can’t build any momentum it’s Been the same all winter . That lobe of death as it’s called just won’t Tut off .  

Let's give the 06z a go maybe missing data because of the super bowl.

Posted
57 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

At least some of us saw some lying snow  in the end but because we can’t get any sustained HLB it’s all been washed away quickly.

The ec46 and whatever seasonal models the met office use ,well at least they have proven that in the U.K. you CANNOT forecast with any accuracy weeks or months in advance,not even close to it,although I’ve never believed you can.So maybe the Met and European Centre should stop using them,maybe

Best thing to do is just ignore them from now on,and concentrate in the shorter term,5-6d ahead,anything even  beyond that timeframe,seems to very rarely verify.

A most frustrating winter,still think one mega cold blast will happen though,don’t expect the models to pick upon it though,what with their poor performance throughput the winter season ??

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Have to be honest im not sure what to make of the models at the moment as we have seen everything from S,lys via Africa and biting E,lys from Siberia.

One thing I will mention is if the UKMO is right along with some of the output yesterday then an intial E,ly is unlikely to be the beast but at best a NE,ly with around -8 to -9C uppers. For a decent chance of a real cold blast would require movement of this high towards Greenland. Simple reason we need to pull some cold arctic air on the eastern flank of the high.

My heart is saying we could yet see this evolve into something more special as its always good to have the UKMO as the most promising output. My head says something along the lines of the ECM i.e UK controlled by high pressure but neither a very cold E,ly or the dreaded mild S,lys.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

An improved ICON at day 5.

A bit slower with the upstream low . The key thing is we really only have one chance to develop a decent wedge of heights to the n ne .

The modelling is solid that the upstream troughing will edge east. If we can get those heights to the ne then we could get some trough  disruption upstream .

PS very nice day 7 UKMO

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

if the ec46 was abolished nobody would actually miss it.It seems to fail every winter,or perhaps it’s fed garbage in ,so it throws garbage out

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

if the ec46 was abolished nobody would actually miss it.It seems to fail every winter,or perhaps it’s fed garbage in ,so it throws garbage out

Have I imagined the last two weeks ??

Posted
7 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

All you are doing is backing up my last post ....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

All you are doing is backing up my last post ....

While i do agree broadly and understand what you are getting at, with those anomalies over Greenland, however mobile the individual members / clusters were, you would still have expected better wedges and more frequent and perhaps longer lasting IMO.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

I think the problem is a few weeks ago the EC46 for last week and the next couple weeks were indicating higher than average heights to the north of us (more so nw of us) and with that people assume Greenland high and coldmagedden!!Sadly Northern arm of jet hasn’t allowed that with just a few wedges of heights developing but that has been enough for last week to have provided heavy snowfalls for some.In some ways it makes you think what could have it been like if heights had of gone up to Greenland-then a real cold spell could have really developed.I would have shown some EC46s from a few weeks ago to show this but alas technology is not my thing and don’t know how to do it lol!!

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

it was throwing up a huge block over greenland lasting weeks and weeks with bitter easterlies was it not,or maybe i read the charts wrong.

And what did we end up with,one decent snowfall ,especially over high ground,with drifting snow,that has rapidly melted now,because we haven’t had High latitude blocking like the ec46 showed to keep the cold going.Only thing it got right was the slight negative anamoly temp wise.

Its credibility was already bust anyway from  poor performances over the winter months in previous winters.

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

it was throwing up a huge block over greenland lasting weeks and weeks with bitter easterlies was it not,or maybe i read the charts wrong.

And what did we end up with,one decent snowfall ,especially over high ground,with drifting snow,that has rapidly melted now,because we haven’t had High latitude blocking like the ec46 showed to keep the cold going.Only thing it got right was the slight negative anamoly temp wise.

Its credibility was already bust anyway from  poor performances over the winter months in previous winters.

Where do I start .........

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Where do I start .........

lol show me,whilst i’m waiting for metociel to work,gfs is stuck on 96 ,but I notice the 06gfs is always too flat compared to the other 3 runs a day it outpits

Edited by SLEETY

Posted

Early improvements on the GFS 06 hrs run .

It doesn’t build on that later on past day 6 but still time for that change .

• Like 1