Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

10 minutes ago, shaky said:

Looks every so slightly further east and north!

The main focus point is...as its sweeps into the southwest...then tracks north-eastwards...as it pivots..so 2 it expands..as it reverts on the former trak..thus becomes patchy in nature...

That though after dumping some decent amounts in selected locations...

Edit- and has signs of pep tmoz afternoon, along far southern counties../including factions of the south west

Edited by tight isobar
Duplicate quote box removed.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
5 minutes ago, shaky said:

Looks every so slightly further east and north!

About the difference between leeds and Derby say.

The front has pushed into the  Northern Ireland border

Screenshot_20190131-084047_Chrome.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Kent could do very well, next week: the highly prolific E. C. Cluster will likely open the batting!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Kent could do very well, next week: the highly prolific E. C. Cluster will likely open the batting!

What does that mean the cluster will. Likely open the batting I live right on the north east coast herne bay in Kent will I see snow

Edited by snowfish1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, snowfish1 said:

What does that mean the cluster will. Likely open the batting I live right on the north east coast herne bay in Kent will I see snow

Just that, should any of the charts (that peeps have posted) materialise, Kent ought to be in the firing-line...It is, though, all conjecture, just now.

• Like 1

Posted

Both the ECM and GFSp hold interest down the line, though for different reasons obviously. Icon isn't a million miles removed from ECM either. 

Once this snow has gone through today I will start to pay a keener interest in the longer term evolution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Can we please leave the now-casting/who's going to get snow and radar watching to the regionals or the cold spell thread which is dedicated to this event here..

Thank you, And back the Model Output related discussion.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Can we please leave the now-casting/who's going to get snow and radar watching to the regionals or the cold spell thread which is dedicated to this event.

Thank you, And back the Model Output related discussion.

Please can you provide a link to the dedicated cold spell thread?  TIA.

Edited by Polar Maritime
Added link above ?
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

ICON 6z would also go on to produce a Scandi High if it went beyond T120:

iconnh-0-120.png?31-06

Another one to add to the EC Cluster. Let's hope it ends up a clusterbomb rather than a clusterf***.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
1 hour ago, tight isobar said:

The main focus point is...as its sweeps into the southwest...then tracks north-eastwards...as it pivots..so 2 it expands..as it reverts on the former trak..thus becomes patchy in nature...

That though after dumping some decent amounts in selected locations...

Edit- and has signs of pep tmoz afternoon, along far southern counties../including factions of the south west

Yes, I think Hampshire, Essex and Sussex could do particularly well out of this, several inches of cover perhaps. I'm expecting maybe a couple of inches IMBY. The next 36 hours or so is an exciting watch period, as may well be Sunday.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, gottolovethisweather said:

Yes, I think Hampshire, Essex and Sussex could do particularly well out of this, several inches of cover perhaps. I'm expecting maybe a couple of inches IMBY. The next 36 hours or so is an exciting watch period, as may well be Sunday.

I keep hearing Sunday being mentioned, can you put any more meat on the bones so to speak?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
3 minutes ago, fromey said:

I keep hearing Sunday being mentioned, can you put any more meat on the bones so to speak?

Only going on what I heard on TV, a front is invading us from the west I believe, aka the start of the currently forecast milder/near average blip. Think rain, sleet and snow mix as per today and tomorrow.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
37 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Looking beyond today's event towards the 'end of winter' the CFS is throwing up a whole series of humdinger charts with the emphasis very much on repeated easterlies:

image.thumb.png.197c5c45c216574c6bd057d6f2ddc6c3.png  image.thumb.png.96f640ab1f5248ff040286a426b6d2e9.png

image.thumb.png.80684e67a6536f915faeea46250703e2.png  image.thumb.png.dceb694b1f87591cde09dfa25c621fb0.png

image.thumb.png.7cc93d02b2d4c1810d04655cbdd8e7e9.png  image.thumb.png.23c5372f27c2498d3fdef2b9706944a5.png

image.thumb.png.a7c218ccbd89578388fbc82e0f35e88a.png  image.thumb.png.4fd3aa821c3ffda081ad80b554996b10.png

image.thumb.png.0d0ae1b7fc1c1c11a3b1836e99e2de9b.png  image.thumb.png.872c16d6d66155445b48287e9a7e9937.png

These are all cold or very cold  charts for the UK.  This is looking into the far reaches of FI its true, but the pattern keeps showing up almost every week and if even one of those charts verifies there will be some very happy people in here!   The CFS is meant to look for trends I believe, and it is certainly pushing this trend today....  Will we end up with a repeat of March 2018?  Too soon to know for sure but there is something in the air....

Good call, I've been following the CFS myself, some interesting signs, even though some folk think reading the tea bags gives you a more accurate prediction!!

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Superb 06z ICON

147D07FB-385F-43FE-8C44-0E1694FF81CC.thumb.png.0a2586b73a07c39e88fc855d8edefd22.png

Bang on where FI begins, will it be a case of westerlies or easterlies by the end of next week? We'll find out in a few runs time I guess.

Posted
33 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Looking beyond today's event towards the 'end of winter' the CFS is throwing up a whole series of humdinger charts with the emphasis very much on repeated easterlies:

These are all cold or very cold  charts for the UK.  This is looking into the far reaches of FI its true, but the pattern keeps showing up almost every week and if even one of those charts verifies there will be some very happy people in here!   The CFS is meant to look for trends I believe, and it is certainly pushing this trend today....  Will we end up with a repeat of March 2018?  Too soon to know for sure but there is something in the air....

Images clipped for sanity of readers.

Has anyone actually done an analysis of CFS "trends" and whether they even remotely seem to indicate anything approaching a accurate forecast, especially in volatile situations such as this? In essence, is there any reason to be hopeful more than hope from CFS patterns?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Dammit. So the hunt continues.

Or a trend setter!

Seagulls have been spotted today in Peterborough for the first time this winter!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards
4 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Dammit. So the hunt continues.

Less so further north 

5B3DD800-9893-4CD4-82C9-FF3BEDFB5B92.jpeg

• Like 1