Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
2 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

gfs-0-174.png?12

Some disruption at long last.

So close to the run we're all looking though. Given how easily these lines can shift a few hundred miles as they get close this is seriously promising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

gfs-0-174.png?12

Some disruption at long last.

Yep, ridge should build behind it and we should get a second go at an easterly.

Posted

Not the favourable trigger shortwave outcome on either the GFS or UKMO so any easterly even if it does appear will be delayed .

The latter though does on first look have a chance of further snow between day 4 and 5 as some other shortwave energy moves se through the UK.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
10 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

I think potential all time record low minima and Maxima probably count as once in a generation!

Just as interesting is that parts of Minnesota could be looking at record lows Wednesday/Thursday and record highs at the weekend. Now that's a rollercoaster!

I had this the other night when I was saying about the snowstorms they had in December.  It may be a "large" country but minus 70 is not something usual.  The US really is seeing extreme winter weather and with tens of millions of people affected it's pretty spectacular.  The area affected is pretty large and to be fair all I can do is look and want some of it!

Signals on the runs of a change afoot?  Let's hope so and hopefully not just 10+ days away.

Posted

I can still see this going to the wire next week. Just need a slight tilt in the jet and trough disruption as shown on the GEM is quite possible.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
15 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

So close to the run we're all looking though. Given how easily these lines can shift a few hundred miles as they get close this is seriously promising.

Probably correct south

Posted
2 minutes ago, warrenb said:

I can still see this going to the wire next week. Just need a slight tilt in the jet and trough disruption as shown on the GEM is quite possible.

GEM is only ever right when it shows a Bartlett, never comes good when you want it too  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
28 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

I think potential all time record low minima and Maxima probably count as once in a generation!

Just as interesting is that parts of Minnesota could be looking at record lows Wednesday/Thursday and record highs at the weekend. Now that's a rollercoaster!

in the US/Canada they often use a daily record as a reference to cold and warm records..so can be misleading

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

What really gets on my titts is why are these stonking charts always at day 16 ? They hardly ever come off , so why do they show them so often ? 

9FCD52B3-FC6F-4DC4-8761-26E9692E0560.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.
19 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Not the favourable trigger shortwave outcome on either the GFS or UKMO so any easterly even if it does appear will be delayed .

The latter though does on first look have a chance of further snow between day 4 and 5 as some other shortwave energy moves se through the UK.

Bloody shortwave luck... 

We've been waiting since end of December so I guess another delay in the Easterly wont harm lol

Posted
3 minutes ago, The BEAST From The East said:

Bloody shortwave luck... 

We've been waiting since end of December so I guess another delay in the Easterly wont harm lol

It might still appear !  Not sure in which month though !

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Some promise in the models today of getting some blocking close by, GFS 6z was good, 12z not as clean but not bad.  GEM pick of the bunch so far at T240:

image.thumb.jpg.0dd4387c0cd7221043f8ed0ec73deb86.jpg

I remain reasonably optimistic for a cold spell in February - at the moment.

• Like 4

Posted
27 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

in the US/Canada they often use a daily record as a reference to cold and warm records..so can be misleading

No, definitely all time low records. I was reading the NWS discussion for IL and MN earlier. The max could be daily record though.

Addit: Here

"all ingredients in place for an extremely and likely record cold temperature night. Continue forecast lows in the -20s and -30s, with the coldest values in north central Illinois and exposed, favored areas. Rockford will likely drop to colder than what they are this morning, and so confidence in a record all-time low is increasing there. Chicago looks to be very close to reaching their record and have undercut guidance slightly with a low right at all-time record level."

Edited by WhiteFox
Added info

Posted

If ECM gets anywhere near this from GEM  I remain interested in the medium term after it's positive end on the 00Z

Please let's not waste a 1055mb + Siberian high with a punch drunk PV

gemnh-0-240.png

ECH1-240.gif

GFS Control and 12z mean

gens-0-1-240.png

gens-21-1-240.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 4

Posted

Interesting fax charts for T36hrs and T48hrs.

The occlusion gets to London and grinds to a halt.

The western end starts heading se and it’s possible that parts who saw snow to rain then see a change back to snow before the occlusion finally clears se.

Snow amounts could be very good in areas which stay close enough to the occlusion on its northern flank throughout that timeframe .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

That's the charts the ec46 said we should be under now, I'm talking about the end of the gfs run, so hopefully that will run down to time 0,so  just two weeks away from the very cold air from the NE OR E that has been in extended forecasts for weeks and weeks

Posted

I know the ensembles have been useless all winter and if 1% of cherry picked charts came to fruition we’d have been buried by now but just to show this kind of thing is still on the table.. look at this!

D4748146-A2AC-436E-A746-5237A5AAEB64.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
37 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

What really gets on my titts is why are these stonking charts always at day 16 ? They hardly ever come off , so why do they show them so often ? 

9FCD52B3-FC6F-4DC4-8761-26E9692E0560.png

You've got to allow for the built-in bias of GFS in low resolution to give us an easterly in winter

Posted
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The western end starts heading se and it’s possible that parts who saw snow to rain then see a change back to snow before the occlusion finally clears se.

Snow amounts could be very good in areas which stay close enough to the occlusion on its northern flank throughout that timeframe .

What would that mean for London exactly? Snow or will their be any rain?

Looks good for London I think

Posted
20 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

What would that mean for London exactly? Snow or will their be any rain?

Looks good for London I think

Grrrrr....Well give you South Westerners and Southerners a shout when spring arrives so it can melt the mountainsj you'll be under.....enjoy it we get our fair share up here 

Edited by winterof79

Posted
16 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

I know the ensembles have been useless all winter and if 1% of cherry picked charts came to fruition we’d have been buried by now but just to show this kind of thing is still on the table.. look at this!

D4748146-A2AC-436E-A746-5237A5AAEB64.png

you said it …………………….. ens remain all over the place with little evidence that they have sniffed out where we are headed …..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Anyone up for a hunt for spring!!!! Seriously if this comes off I won't ever look at a model again, well, not a weather one anyway!

cfs-0-492.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Nick one question with that band that far south why does euro4 break out another seperate band over the midlands?is that a trough?

• Like 1