Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
58 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Yep - sharp change of signal. No high lat block with any undercut of impact. Been mulling about this all evening really - the nature of the SSW this year, with it being such a slow process, has thrown semi predictability into chaos. I guess that leaves some gentle optimism that this set of charts may be no more accurate than the last lot, but really we only have the MetO now offering any coherent suggestion of cold and we cannot see their data. I have a feeling they wont take long to alter that 30 day text.

And if @Catacol is losing faith, frankly so am I.  There has to be a point when you cut your losses, all the best scientific evidence has pointed to a substantially cold winter in part, but it is a cold whimper going into Feb.  Yes there are definitely prospects for a cold second half of of Feb.  But I've chased it as far as I can, my focus now is the short term for this week.

Long term, I'll be back for the summer. 

Edit, even JMA has gone over to the Dark Side,  T264

image.thumb.jpg.a35b6a8c5b4687aeca54eb60919c4afe.jpg

Utter nonsense on that chart over Greenland.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted

Think I might take a break from the models.  The current cold spell could well be as good as it gets this winter.

Posted

18z ECM looks pretty much the same as the 12z UKMO, maybe a touch south. System comes into the south Friday afternoon, turns to snow widely across most southern places away from the coast (still marginal by the coast) then moves inland and slowly weakens. Peak northern extent is again between Liverpool-Hull, as it has been most of the day on ECM.

Peak snowfall rates over the UK of around an inch an hour on the band. Again 2-4 inches in the snow zone. SE Ireland utterly hammered again on this run, as are parts of Wales, figures there between 8-12 inches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
2 hours ago, Lampostwatcher said:

looks like the south could nick all the snow 

great run for the us down here 

Not really the PPN is much weaker. Also its still got two days to keep going South and could end up in France. But could easily correct North as some esembles show or stay where it is. Really its a guessing game. But the trend seems South but belive me you want it to stop now lol.

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

18z ECM looks pretty much the same as the 12z

Where can one view the 18z ECM please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Arron wound me up ........

It winds me up when people spell my name wrong 

In all seriousness, I wasn't trying to wind anyone up...and I agree you only ever comment on what is being shown in the modelling- I cannot fault you on that one. However, it really has been a dire winter- even moreso when you align what we've seen with what perhaps we should have...

• Like 2

Posted

A lot of people thought December might be cold and it wasn't. Then they thought January would be cold and it wasn't. Now a lot of people think February might not be cold, perhaps it actually will be  .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
12 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Where can one view the 18z ECM please?

News to me! Thought ecm only ran 0z and 12z daily 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
16 minutes ago, kold weather said:

18z ECM looks pretty much the same as the 12z UKMO, maybe a touch south. System comes into the south Friday afternoon, turns to snow widely across most southern places away from the coast (still marginal by the coast) then moves inland and slowly weakens. Peak northern extent is again between Liverpool-Hull, as it has been most of the day on ECM.

Peak snowfall rates over the UK of around an inch an hour on the band. Again 2-4 inches in the snow zone. SE Ireland utterly hammered again on this run, as are parts of Wales, figures there between 8-12 inches.

I don't mean to sound IMBY....  But does the snowband extend down to the Home Counties and London... South Midlands get a few inches still? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
15 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

A lot of people thought December might be cold and it wasn't. Then they thought January would be cold and it wasn't. Now a lot of people think February might not be cold, perhaps it actually will be  .

oh no, it won't 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

Yep - sharp change of signal. No high lat block with any undercut of impact.

Really? A few cold runs still in the 18z ens for example to dismiss the cold prospects outright. Look at the swingometer for February 5th for example.

image.thumb.png.aa54ac7b0d841e3e0e2b52a9b12243ef.png

Really we only have the MetO now offering any coherent suggestion of cold and we cannot see their data. I have a feeling they wont take long to alter that 30 day text.

So the Meto are completely wrong about a time frame that is highly uncertain? They have more data than us to make a call on so I wouldn't dismiss it.

MJO peaks for cold interest in about a week and then will fade away through phase 8 to 1. 

GFS has it stuck in phase 7 for the reliable time range and that is still hugely uncertain.

image.thumb.png.39b4831b957c1845f7e0d47f2eba4566.png

I think these background signals are important but as I say they are so uncertain and can be easily overwhelmed by things in the North Atlantic. February 2018 had the huge MJO event in early February which undoubtably set the ball in motion which along with the SSW allowed all the jigsaw pieces to fall in the right place, however the MJO is much weaker at the moment to use it as guidance.

However no raging atlantic assault - the SSW has put paid to that prospect for the rest of winter

How can you say that though? Surely if you get a huge cold pool from NE Canada pouring into the North Atlantic than that will serve to fire up some deep lows in the North Atlantic? So how can an SSW stop that? Unless we get a high migrating to Greenland or a Scandi high than that is difficult.

Essentially, our weather is so sensitive to minor changes in the North Atlantic that we cannot be sure how background signals will manifest here. They can give an inkling but I'll stick to the model ensembles and what they sure.

We may get raging westerlies, we may get something cold and blocked. Until a really dominant signal in the model output for our region itself emerges, then nothing can be said with confidence.

This winter the background signals haven't worked so far, they have been rather woeful. If they were so influential,surely this SSW would be leading to something much more blocked rather than just no Atlantic assault. I know this week doesn't look good for you in the far SW but I wouldn't be so gloomy yet..., its still in the open regardless of background signals.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

Posted

Can't believe some posters have giving up on this winter  even the more knowledgeable because ec46 has changed, it's been mostly wrong for this winter in  that HLB hasn't occurred like it said but it got the negative temp anomoly correct for back end of Jan. 

. Despite the fact  UKMO are still going for a very cold spell towards mid feb, a lot of posters are abandoning ship because it seems only Ec46 matters, OK BYE then see you next winter

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Can't believe some posters have giving up on this winter  even the more knowledgeable because ec46 has changed, it's been mostly wrong for this winter in  that HLB hasn't occurred like it said but it got the negative temp anomoly correct for back end of Jan. 

. Despite the fact  UKMO are still going for a very cold spell towards mid feb, a lot of posters are abandoning ship because it seems only Ec46 matters, OK BYE then see you next winter

I guess this might be settled if the UKMO does not backtrack, as it is predicted to do by many posters here, within the next few days. 

Edited by Bricriu

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

I guess this might be settled if the UKMO does not backtrack, as it is predicted to do by many posters here, within the next few days. 

It's still not updated 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
12 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

mid feb now, it will be mid-May soon,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Ive been a member on here since 2003. So ive been through it all. Yes I agree this winter has been rubbish so far but as people have said its only Jan 28th and we are forecast snow THIS WEEK !

End of Feb 2004 - 1ft here in a Gateshead off straight northerly

Feb/March 2005 - two week cold spell

Feb/March 2006 - cold spell and big snow event on the 12th March

Mar 20th 2007 - Potent northerly giving snow to east coast

Mar/April 2008 - several snow events countrywide

Feb 2010 - Multiple snow events particularly big snowfall end of Feb in Scotland 2ft in places

April 2010 - On 1st Possibly biggest single fall of snow that year in parts of Scotland after snowiest winter in years

Just a few snowy episodes that I remember falling later in the winter and into spring.

Probably best example this decade is Mar/Apr 2013 . Nearly a months worth of cold weather coming in spring with big countrywide snow event on 21st Mar and northern hills absolutely loaded with snow.

Theres still plenty of time yet for something to happen. Comes down to luck really and in years like this patience really is a virtue.

Last year we were spoilt with snow all the way through from November to April so this year is more like a normal winter. 

Edited by Snow White
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

At work so can't say much, but looks great for many end of week to my untrained eyeand siberian high is building on UKMO, very interesting 

• Like 1

Posted

GFSP and GFS push. Thursday's snow further north. ICON again has it further south. GFS is almost always over progressive with frontal systems, but don't know about the GFSP.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
Just now, MattStoke said:

GFSP and GFS pushes Thursday's snow further north. ICON again has it further south. GFS is almost always over progressive with frontal systems, but don't know about the GFSP.

Here's, roughly, the northern extent of it on the 0z Arpege;

arpegeuk-42-73-0.thumb.png.c5b10dbaae7f505b611b42b8eec53445.png

• Like 2

Posted

JMA further north.

Much disagreement just 2 and a half days out.

So, UKMO, ICON and Aperge further south.

GFS, GFSP, GEM and JMA further north.

Posted

Yep Matt no real agreement though again higher resolution models are clocking the LP sharpness whilst the courser ones not so much, with GFSp being somewhat between the two solutions with snow in south and the north.

Ukmo is a decent shift south on its 00z run, northern limit is from the wash westwards! Similar to Arpege.

PS, gem actually only gets the snow into Hull and Liverpool line I mention Ed yesterday.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2