Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted

Thursday’s snow barely making it into the South Midlands on the ICON 18z.

Sure that will lead to many on here calling it a great run while I and many others would miss out completely.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

BIG shift south from the ICON on the 18z...that's one of the bigger shifts I've seen from run-run with this system...probably a bit of a southerly outlier I'd say, though there small support from the ECm ensembles (only around 15%)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Slightly more elongated LP at 66hrs from the ICON but more or less the same distribution of LP's, etc. For now!

I would say the low is slightly south at 75

18z image.thumb.png.4028b2e344339907982afa75cfb9cc7c.png 12z image.thumb.png.1955ab4aa22132019c52fb7d254eae43.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
Just now, Badgers01 said:

crewe matey you speak for many on here !!

Me as well...so far it's been a disappointing winter but lets see what the weather 'throws up' in the next few days (might be pleasantly surprised or not)  and that solitary day was hardly widespread. I've experienced a very fortunate brief light flurry that settled and then melted on Thursday - hardly noteworthy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Steve Murr said:

2 things -

ICON quite a bit south @72-

Plus - Guys above^^^

Do we really think the MET Office, the most reserved institute in the UK are going to hopecast a cold spell?

No, for then to repeatedly put the key words around deep cold from the East into the medium & long term forecasts suggest via their modelling its 'probable'

They do not base their forecasts- especially one linked to the Stratosphere on the bodgit & scarper model the GFS-

So just sit tight & be patient.

Steve, no-one mentioned the Metoffice hopecasting.

I was referring to the forum.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

I would say the low is slightly south at 75

18z image.thumb.png.4028b2e344339907982afa75cfb9cc7c.png 12z image.thumb.png.1955ab4aa22132019c52fb7d254eae43.png

The colder 850's are quite a bit further south.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Happy Southern correction

icon-2-90.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I don't know how many times we have to ask for no MetO discussion. There's so many places on this forum to discuss various topics, weather wise or otherwise. All we're asking is to post in the relevant places.

We don't want to have to resort to it, but this thread will be locked if people continuously choose to not stick to the guidelines

• Like 2

Posted

The southward correction is purely because of the very elongated low by 72hrs, be interesting to see the high resolution version and see by how much its extending things.

*I won't complain at all about this run, kills dead any marginality...HOWEVER I do think this is probably one southward correction to far and is right on the south edge of the guidance.

Winterof79, I'm happy I get some good non marginal snow out of this run!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

2 things -

ICON quite a bit south @72-

Plus - Guys above^^^

Do we really think the MET Office, the most reserved institute in the UK are going to hopecast a cold spell?

No, for then to repeatedly put the key words around deep cold from the East into the medium & long term forecasts suggest via their modelling its 'probable'

They do not base their forecasts- especially one linked to the Stratosphere on the bodgit & scarper model the GFS-

So just sit tight & be patient.

best post I’ve read all night keep up good work Steve.. 

• Like 3

Posted

It’s amazing just how much the models have struggled with set up .

Originally there were those bowling ball lows stuck over the UK lifting out most of the cold and now they’re trying to slide the low and weaken it.

I think any forecasts for Thursday are still up in the air .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ICON continues to sink the second low south and if it continues then the trailing front may miss much of the UK. It also fizzles out on the M42 corridor:

anim_clo5.gif

Keeps that front all snow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Surprised @Steve Murr hasn’t mentioned the control - brings in a beast similar to end last feb in the extended and builds the scandi ridge as per some of the gfs and gem ops from today. I often feel the ec op and ec control are interchangeable when they go their separate ways .....by that I mean one could easily have been the other. Had we just seen the ec control as the op then this place would be quite different regarding the longer term

as far as the extended is concerned, the mean does indeed look meh but it’s unconvincing and I await the clusters to see if the broadly binary solutions are there again. I haven’t  changed my view from yesterday that the Azores will pump up a ridge which heads to scandi .....it could end up more scriceland but given the developments to our ne in the arctic, I’m inclined to think scandi to begin with .....especially with the Canadian likely to continue to force the northern arm for a while yet ......that would fit with the return to neutral AO later week which we have been seeing on the eps and geps ......

Anyway, onto the late evening output .....

Mate I was searching for it on the ECMWF weatherus website but alas couldnt find it

then forgot to ask - but the T2Ms were enough

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, IDO said:

The ICON continues to sink the second low south and if it continues then the trailing front may miss much of the UK. It also fizzles out on the M42 corridor:

anim_clo5.gif

Keeps that front all snow.

I think it looks very stingy with the precip . I’m not convinced it’s got that right .

• Like 2

Posted

ICON 18Z follows on from quite a number of ECM ensembles that keep the snow south - I see koldweather has put this at about 15% so not massive - but there's a move afoot to bring everything south.

Mind you northerners - the ensembles that keep the snow further north general go for some really good falls.

Exhausting keeping up with this

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

crewe matey you speak for many on here !!

But not everyone, some just comment on what the charts show, right or wrong they just try to predict the weather. If its good or bad, is just opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Good ICON for us southerners xD

Would probably get a bit further north than it's suggesting though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
15 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Happy Southern correction

icon-2-90.png

Winter come on pal , why you getting well gel ?? It ant anyone’s fault the snow is trending further south . 

Fwiw I think the icon has gone a bit to far south with the low . Lots of chopping and changing yet I suppose. It’s always a drama when the uk is gonna get snow  . 

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

ICON 18Z follows on from quite a number of ECM ensembles that keep the snow south - I see koldweather has put this at about 15% so not massive - but there's a move afoot to bring everything south.

Mind you northerners - the ensembles that keep the snow further north general go for some really good falls.

Exhausting keeping up with this

Exactly MIB, the uncertainty is certainly keeping the thread alive with plenty of 'debate'.  I still believe this next 4-5 day's is a prelude to a very cold February following a brief milder spell.  We shall see, maybe it's a case of 'hopecasting' but then again I've always been an optimist.

• Like 6