Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
7 minutes ago, Jason M said:

This has been a developing pattern for a few days and seems to have really gathered pace today. It’s been a bit surreal really in that the output we see has been saying no to northern blocking consistently but somehow we are expecting it to appear. Unless we see changes in the output in the morning I’d be expecting the long range prognosis to start to change significantly. 

In the short term plenty of interest though so it’s a week to be grateful for what we receive given that Southern European heights are looking like the way forward. As always though nothing is written in stone. 

Yep agree...I worded it differently last night but got laughed at like I was Peter Kay but certainly a distinct possibility and as I mentioned it keeps showing in the det runs (other than this morning) from near day 7 you have to take it seriously!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Models lead the Metoffice thinking, not the other way round. So yes I would think there would be a change of wording imminent, given the tripe we're being served up in the extended modelling now.

Roll on spring- this winter has been grim!

It's comments like this that make me double down on a cold February!

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

-3 is not going to do it im afraid

Are you forgetting March last year the uppers were around the same in the south and I had one of my best falls of snow I’ve seen or am I missing something? Dew points play a part as well not always about the uppers

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

-3 is not going to do it im afraid

There’s far more to snowfall than temperatures at the 850 hpa level.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

The ECM mean shows it remaining cold for the rest of this week but maybe something less cold as we move through next week?

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.d4cfa3ec592988f506945cb040a67c95.png

Looks that way as it stands - if the 12z GFS and ECM are anything to go by, what does fall this week will be all gone by Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Yes I am aware of that thankyou but ECM is very marginal

image.thumb.png.8ddae35bff96de43691e10aa245b398f.png

Posted
Just now, winterof79 said:

I saw heavy, settling snow at modest altitude (146 m) a week and a half ago, with uppers at -2’C.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I've got all the raw data (I pay for it) and whilst a little marginal at the coast, its snow the whole up from there apart from maybe the very back edge and front edge.

In this set-up the magic number at 850hpa to worry about is somewhere around -1C. This is because we are importing air from Europe that will have just had a snowfall from the LP on Tuesday so the boundary level is much colder than it would be had it come straight of the ocean. Its also why it was SO important to have a flow from the SE, not the SW are originally forecasted. Once that shifted, the south became involved.

Could it change back, certainly could, but models are trending positively for this not to be the case. Hopefully it stays broadly where it is sand doesn't trend further south (though for me IMBY, that wouldn't be a bad thing).

Lucky you. The ECM run is still not good at all. Just commenting on the run may change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
Just now, winterof79 said:

Southerly tracking lows with bands of precipitation heading north are always marginal, but a lot of the time they produce some of the most spectacular snowfalls. In this particular set up, 850hpa temperatures of between -2C and -5C are not marginal at face value, particularly with a South easterly draw. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Ecm!!!! Who needs it, ba ba booooooom, let's face it nasa live in space, so they gotter no more than anyone, even the met, lol

geos-0-123.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

I saw heavy, settling snow at modest altitude (146 m) a week and a half ago, with uppers at -2’C.

The ECM output shows it will have melted before you enjoy it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

posts relating to the Met Office forecasts will be deleted so please stop making them.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

There's absolutely zilch in the modelling at the moment to suggest a cool February, let alone a cold one. If you can show me some concrete signs of a cold February (other than the Metoffice further outlook which has been singing the same song since late December), then I might take notice.

As of now we have everything trending the wrong way for any deep/prolonged cold. Whether you chose to accept this or not is completely on you. Those EPS are pretty damning.

I'll also turn the tables on you here- for all of your positive comments over the past 8 weeks or so, what have we actually seen for it? I'll tell you...1 solitary day of falling snow falling in the form of showers!

Concrete proof that hope casting DOES NOT work

You was confident yourself of a scandi high a week or so ago was you not ? Like you say hope casting does not work. 

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Absolutely. This obsession with this 850 hPa temperature grows stronger by the year and sometimes I wonder whether the majority of people really understand what they are talking about when they reference them. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

ICON 18z seem very few comment on it so far, but just at T24 the low and any precipitation are noticeably northwards still! Lots like more coming into play!

And by T63 the next low is definitely sliding, good signs!

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
16 minutes ago, DEYS(Kent) said:

-3 850s in this set up is not crud.. 

Even the insanely optimistic GFSP snow charts baulk at -3 for falling snow. The chances go up markedly for the south if the system gets north then pivots and slows as the lower 850s and the snow wrapped around it follows the system sinking into Europe. I lived south of London for twenty years, angle of trajectory is a real help when there’s no embedded cold.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yep I was indeed. 

This winter has been a perplexing one in as much what was 'supposed' to happen just didn't happen in reality.

Aww, I was contemplating liking the first edit, oh well.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Absolutely. This obsession with this 850 hPa temperature grows stronger by the year and sometimes I wonder whether the majority of people really understand what they are talking about when they reference them. 

Then your explanation would be welcome if I don't know what I'm talking about

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
15 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

There's absolutely zilch in the modelling at the moment to suggest a cool February, let alone a cold one. If you can show me some concrete signs of a cold February (other than the Metoffice further outlook which has been singing the same song since late December), then I might take notice.

As of now we have everything trending the wrong way for any deep/prolonged cold. Whether you chose to accept this or not is completely on you. Those EPS are pretty damning.

I'll also turn the tables on you here- for all of your positive comments over the past 8 weeks or so, what have we actually seen for it? I'll tell you...1 solitary day of falling snow falling in the form of showers!

Concrete proof that hope casting DOES NOT work

crewe matey you speak for many on here !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

By T72 a significant movement south of the -4'c isotherm potential for many more to see snow further south along with those further north. Could be a widespread event!

EDIT: The whole front just loses its energy...

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2