Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted

Fax for tomorrow night suggesting a stall / pivot to tomorrow nights front enhancing / prolonging the snow for eastern areas 

B77AEF5C-4C2E-483F-A807-74EDA8F23BD3.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Good snowfall basically!

Probably 6-8hrs of solid snowfall, does weaken towards the end of that time frame but somewhere between 2-4 inches, some places would almost certainly get more however, especially west Midlands and Wales which do get hammered.

Finally confirmed midlands and wales buried lol!!!am craviiing snow lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

I’m still not overly convinced on Thursday - looks to be too much mild air wrapped in to produce all this heavy snow mentioned? Happy to be proved entirely wrong here.

Intensity could help for Thursday. It's got much more pop to it than tomorrow's system.

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

Why are you looking at day 7/8 when we don't have the closer term sorted yet? (as some were telling me last night)  still trending 'milder' in EC FI (I will not say 'mild') as everybody will be laughing at me as of last night...a little hypocritical.

i was simply pointing out that despite the fi charts looking like they go less cold and more traditionally zonal, they still bring transitional snowfall - the message here being that if the op is being too progressive then the meto forecast that has many confused is not so fanciful …….. its not a forecast, just an observation that meh charts may hide something less meh. remember a week or so ago when we were going mild for a period …...turned into a blip …..so could this one …….i'll get back to you after the clusters later this evening

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Fax for tomorrow night suggesting a stall / pivot to tomorrow nights front enhancing / prolonging the snow for eastern areas 

out of date tim  .the latest looks a bit different  

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ECM 12z is great for snow - Southern England around 5-10cm

SE Ireland + Wales especially mid upwards get smashed up to 30cms...

Midlands??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
9 minutes ago, Vikos said:

EC FI = west at it's best... game over for the next 2 weeks...

ECH1-192.GIF?28-0

Do me a favour, If every 8 day chart had verified this winter ,I would have been buried in snow,and freezing my nuts off weeks ago.I know  next to nothing about interpreting charts,but  even I have sussed out that  at that range,  especially this winter you might as well put some seaweed outside of your back door.and get the same degree of accuracy. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I don’t think those towards the south coast Dorset west should give up hope yet of some snow .

The ECM does have an onshore flow but then as the low pivots those areas west then pick up an offshore n ne flow.

Agree Nick.

For the precise reason you have stated, I have been harbouring some hope, post pivot!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
51 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

The GFS 12z ensembles showing some big spikes for tomorrow evenings precipitation with the op one of the top enders. Hope most of it is snow!

02108A3C-8EA6-4CA1-BAFF-7F3FF1F8B49D.png

It certainly is looking like it is warming up, well not cold as per this week, by about the 4th February, which seems to be a consistent signal for now. Before then, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and perhaps another day or two bringing us all a wintry mix. Something for everyone in the next ten days then?

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

i was simply pointing out that despite the fi charts looking like they go less cold and more traditionally zonal, they still bring transitional snowfall - the message here being that if the op is being too progressive then the meto forecast that has many confused is not so fanciful …….. its not a forecast, just an observation that meh charts may hide something less meh. remember a week or so ago when we were going mild for a period …...turned into a blip …..so could this one …….i'll get back to you after the clusters later this evening

Okay fair enough but I said last night trending 'mild' is also an observation (which I got slaughtered over) and backed up now by 5 of the last 6 det runs I believe (might be wrong with those figures). Thanks for the reply

• Like 4

Posted

This ECM snow depth doesn’t look too unrealistic. FWIW I think they may have tweeted the algorithms in the last week as the totals look more realistic. For tomorrow night it shows no more than 1-3cm now 

D0423EDE-E144-4F48-8A5D-DB3FFEEA4BCD.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Cheeky polar low to the NW a well - should track down towards western Scotland.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

see this thread has turned into snow watch :snowman-emoji:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

This ECM snow depth doesn’t look too unrealistic. FWIW I think they may have tweeted the algorithms in the last week as the totals look more realistic. For tomorrow night it shows no more than 1-3cm now 

D0423EDE-E144-4F48-8A5D-DB3FFEEA4BCD.jpeg

But it still shows 8 inches for me by saturday - it just isn't going to happen, its a weakening feature which could wrap around but very unlikely to give that many hours of continuous snow and even if it did, tyhere is no way it would be heavy enough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Pretty chaotic looking fax chart for Thursday, blimey how west is the low?

fax72s.gif

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

see this thread has turned into snow watch :snowman-emoji:

Well it is why we sit here like crazy people checking runs four times a day, for five months of the year - so quite understandable!

• Like 6

Posted
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

out of date tim  .the latest looks a bit different  

Yes, tomorrow's front seems to be pushing through far quicker than originally anticipated...Thursday, however looking very juicy...classic angle of attack for disruptive snow.

PPVK89-1.gif

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Cheeky polar low to the NW a well - should track down towards western Scotland.

0Z John, 12Z is this...

fax36s.gif

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Stuie W said:

fax72s.gif

Imagine if it misses all of us

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Johnp said:

Imagine if it misses all of us

I know! How many mods between now and Weds I wonder!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
Just now, KTtom said:

Yes, tomorrow's front seems to be pushing through far quicker than originally anticipated...Thursday, however looking very juicy...classic angle of attack for disruptive snow.

PPVK89-1.gif

like to see the dewpoints here ..from a neutrals point of view it looks at first glance like lots of cold rain and sleet esp at low levels

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

fax72s.gif

Yes very messy situation, its part of the reason why the models have been struggling a little.

Given the cyclonic nature of the cold pool aloft, I never did believe in that bowling ball look the GFs/ECM tried to force upon us, the energy was never going to be that uniform, and sure enough that is exactly how it now looks like its going to be with little secondary features developing in the flow.

• Like 1