Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
39 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Everyone’s covered it well, so just a little summary of the models for the next few days.

Tomorrow: something white could fall from the sky.

Wednesday: something white could fall from the sky.

Thursday: alien invasion from the South-West. 

Friday: alien invasion continues for parts of the U.K threatening the island with lots of white powder! 

Saturdays: the aliens may continue the invasion, then go back home for tea on Saturday night. 

Now you're just being silly....tsk tsk and I thought better of a former mod colleague....

I get the alien invasion bit, very plausible.....but what's all this nonsense about white stuff falling out of the sky?      lol 

Edited by beerandkebab
  • Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Everyone’s covered it well, so just a little summary of the models for the next few days.

Tomorrow: something white could fall from the sky.

Wednesday: something white could fall from the sky.

Thursday: alien invasion from the South-West. 

Friday: alien invasion continues for parts of the U.K threatening the island with lots of white powder! 

Saturdays: the aliens may continue the invasion, then go back home for tea on Saturday night. 

Planning a Doctor Who marathon this weekend?

Posted

Ok so looking at the GFS ensembles:

Only a couple of runs are as far north as the GFS OP.

About 55-60% have Hull-Liverpool line as the northern border, a couple of those sneak some very weak precip slightly north of there.

The rest get to the Scottish borders before decaying.

Broadly the ensembles are a little north of the ECM ones, but not by a huge margin. The GFS op is not an outlier, but its certainly at the northern end of the ensemble range.

Nearly all give the Midlands snowfall, that is the safest place along with N.Wales from the looks of things, I'd have very high confidence of 10-15cms for W.Midlands, could see some more in a situation where the front stalls out its northward progress there, which is possible.

Edited by kold weather
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
11 minutes ago, MKN said:

Exactly the prospect of snow tues weds is for something relatively low key, Infact its surprising they released a yellow warning imo.

". A patchy covering of 1 to 2 cm is possible at low levels, although some places will see no snow at all." <-- From the Meto warning

To be honest, the combined risk from the lasting ice on untreated surfaces could be more of an issue, hence the warnings.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chris K said:

To be honest, the combined risk from the lasting ice on untreated surfaces could be more of an issue, hence the warnings.

Plus it mentions quite a bit of snow above 200 metres, with quite a lot of areas of that elevation within the warning areas.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
2 minutes ago, beerandkebab said:

Now you're just being silly....tsk tsk and I thought better of a former mod colleague....

I get the alien invasion bit, very plausible.....but what's all this nonsense about white stuff falling out if the sky?      lol 

Have a habit of going a bit too far sometimes lol

Apparently there’s a lot of chat on here that a lot of places in the U.K could see something white - snow I believe.

Especially tomorrow and Thursday - the latter looking to be the big, juicy, one!

Just hope for us and the rest of the cold and snow fans in here we’ll all get some of the white stuff we’ve been longing all Winter. This week certainly has the chance to deliver some great wintry events for places with models showing some sliding Lows over Southern UK ❄️

Only thing is while it would be great for everyone to get some white stuff, just got to hope the Lows won’t go too far North or too far South. Wouldn’t want anyone South of the M4 to be getting the wet stuff!

• Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, MKN said:

Exactly the prospect of snow tues weds is for something relatively low key, Infact its surprising they released a yellow warning imo.

". A patchy covering of 1 to 2 cm is possible at low levels, although some places will see no snow at all." <-- From the Meto warning

Had 2 cms of snow last week, took me 2.5 hours to get home, which is normally a 1 hour journey at most. So trust me it needs a warning 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Planning a Doctor Who marathon this weekend?

I've just got back from next Saturday, location just north of the M4: image.thumb.png.2cf28d0b2c215d168cb04c1aaa77b012.png 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MKN said:

The vast majority of brits don't know how to drive in snow, even only a cm or 2 so the warnings are justified.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

I've just got back from next Saturday, location just north of the M4: image.thumb.png.2cf28d0b2c215d168cb04c1aaa77b012.png 

Weird looking daleks! We can all hope for a view like this, models looking promising so far.......

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GEFS graph still MEL & KIM.

image.thumb.png.22f872011db7c4bf14a9c95ffb374829.png

Yup and gfs para close to an outlier with the northern extent of the low!!im actually worried this event will slip south of the midlands aswell!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
29 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The warning is for 1 to 3 cms .... that’s not heavy .......

However, will still bring the SE to a halt.

Knockers posts are showing far less precipitation tomorrow than anything the models linked to on here are showing - and I know who I believe more.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Yup and gfs para close to an outlier with the northern extent of the low!!im actually worried this event will slip south of the midlands aswell!!

Was thinking more about the long term shaky, still a good number suggestive of blocking and proper cold.

• Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, MKN said:

Exactly - it's the 5-10cm plus that would get the most excitement. 1-2cm isn't ticking the boxes for me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Good morning. On this highly uncertain week its very easy to overlook the long range output which has been showing a few changes. For this week Thursday is still up in the air with some football shaped lows (bad) and rugby shaped lows(good - trough disruption). As it stands I don't feel as though I can make a judgement on Thursday. At this stage I reckon somewhere around the peak district / Sheffield area may be best placed but things do resemble December 10th 2017. For Tuesday it still looks like a finely poised rain/snow event. I think this will be a case of nowcasting.

Personally I hope the low pivots right over Hull and leaves us with some snow showers off the north sea afterwards  . I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Longer term the swingometers seem to be shifting towards an  anticyclonic outlook for the start of February. P10 goes further than that and puts us into a cold NE'ly flow. I feel this is far from resolved and what happens on Sunday with the Azores high is key.

image.thumb.png.cf423f619e11b2e8940ac894c5641177.png image.thumb.png.5a573960f83c63ae0beccf70ed625169.png 

The anticyclonic signal may persist into mid February but unsurprisingly the swingometers are still highly uncertain. P19 looks bitter and never really gets us out of the cold air for the whole run! Some places would be buried if that came off!!

image.thumb.png.0021c0ceee1d8beb4898cfa080f87d4e.pngimage.thumb.png.50bf61ac63b444efdff181112287fecd.png 

Global temperature anomalies for T168 show the cold pool from the US trying to make inroads to the North Atlantic. Need to keep that tap of warm to Greenland going and get a low stuck to its west to pump up a block.

image.thumb.png.6db7a368d06cb615614236ba861540ec.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
56 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Hi TEITS not strictly correct there for Thursday 

E/SE will be *more* favoured than North midlands due to the energy moving East along the front - its not a ' normal ' scenario

Once you get energy travelling east you get More energy along the whole front plus the warm air advection gets pushed east as well-

The GFS with its circular Northward bias pushes everything north where as the high Res ICON moves it East-

If we refer to history- Just like the channel lows - ( & indeed the fax chart ) The North snowline from the GFs looks WAY north out of kilter ....

Well we will have to see when it happens on Thursday.GFS take

image.thumb.png.606c23e1878675c973916d195fafc599.png

image.thumb.png.356b51a008a2014f485bf4f0b123b780.png

ECM has the pivot over South/West Yorkshire /Derbyshire

image.thumb.png.c61a1ba8b42c09fb81d182f4f219e52d.png

image.thumb.png.c33b692cb5eb59eaa4246b19bd64c094.png

Tuesday looking snowy too

image.thumb.png.f0af6025aaf4101f415dad7babaf6fdd.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

Well we will have to see when it happens on Thursday.GFS take

image.thumb.png.606c23e1878675c973916d195fafc599.png

image.thumb.png.356b51a008a2014f485bf4f0b123b780.png

ECM has the pivot over South/West Yorkshire /Derbyshire

image.thumb.png.c61a1ba8b42c09fb81d182f4f219e52d.png

image.thumb.png.c33b692cb5eb59eaa4246b19bd64c094.png

Tuesday looking snowy too

image.thumb.png.f0af6025aaf4101f415dad7babaf6fdd.png

What do the red hashes over West Norfolk indicate: freezing rain?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

GFS Ensemble now indicating another potential snow event on Sunday going into Monday (map for my location, other locations are available...)

gfs-ripponden-gb-535n-2w.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

However, will still bring the SE to a halt.

Knockers posts are showing far less precipitation tomorrow than anything the models linked to on here are showing - and I know who I believe more.

Not overnight when this is likely to fall in the se - the standstills come when all the traffic rushes onto the road at the same time because people see snow falling and think they won’t get home = gridlock

the original post I answered was related to the se - further nw wasn’t relevant to my reply 

Posted
2 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

GFS Ensemble now indicating another potential snow event on Sunday going into Monday (map for my location, other locations are available...)

gfs-ripponden-gb-535n-2w.jpeg

The eps pick up potential for another runner for the end of the weekend/early next week - yes 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

As IMBYism keeps rearing its ugly head, I thought I'd remark on a radio forecast (Global) that I heard the other night:

It said to expect snow in Wales and Scotland, but only rain on the mainland!:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

As IMBYism keeps rearing its ugly head, I thought I'd remark on a radio forecast (Global) that I heard the other night:

It said to expect snow in Wales and Scotland, but only rain on the mainland!:wallbash:

never!!!!! Well ive just been told the snow line for Thursday has moved 200 metres south off Sheffield!!!!!! Anyway im outta here

• Like 1