Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Please no more Meto warnings in here. Just Model discussion.

If anyone wants to open a thread up for snow chances this week to follow the event then that's no problem, Also Meto posts would be allowed in there. 

Regards.

Might need to open another Midlands and Southeastern thread they cant seem to find it mods..

Edited by booferking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Everyone’s covered it well, so just a little summary of the models for the next few days.

Tomorrow: something white could fall from the sky.

Wednesday: something white could fall from the sky.

Thursday: alien invasion from the South-West. 

Friday: alien invasion continues for parts of the U.K threatening the island with lots of white powder! 

Saturdays: the aliens may continue the invasion, then go back home for tea on Saturday night. 

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

06z GFSP is a little south with the southern boundary of the snowfall again, due to a more elongated LP than the 06z OP.

8 minutes ago, weirpig said:

image.thumb.png.f40eb39475b264fd2f535e88cd3135a3.pngEuro 4 6z    for tuesday

Thats shows 5 to 10cms for leicester but i dont believe it at all!!

Posted

Longer term signals starting to look more positive again @bluearmy do you work in meteorology? If not you should do as this is exactly what you were saying would start showing yesterday 

A8B8731C-FDF0-4C25-BFC8-6DB125AD1C01.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
38 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

Here is my take on Tuesdays snow events using that trusty old Swiss HD model. 

By Tuesday morning the centre of the low pressure system is out in the bay of Biscay, West of Nantes.  Precipitation from the front reaching the Welsh Eastern coast is just starting to show.  The charts can be moved on in 1 hour time slots but I have done it in 2 hour time slots here to save posting too many charts

The Welsh Eastern coast

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Thats shows 5 to 10cms for leicester but i dont believe it at all!!

Looking at that,  no lying snow in all southwest,  apart from the moors .

Posted

ECM op has decent support from the ECM ensembles. There is a significant minority that are further south (I'd say 30-40%) however, then maybe 10% are further north.

Most still do give a decent snowfall up towards at least N.Midlands, but a definite increase in the models hitting the south as well. Main zone looks like S.Midlands upto that Liverpool-Hull line I mentioned earlier, but still significant range.

Posted
Just now, Updated_Weather said:

Best to expect little and then act surprised if you get more!

Although we all know that most on here are anticipating snowmagedon on Weds morning and instead will be crying into our coco pops whilst the last bit of slush is thawing outside I think Thursday is the main event this week !

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Tim Bland said:

Although we all know that most on here are anticipating snowmagedon on Weds morning and instead will be crying into our coco pops whilst the last bit of slush is thawing outside I think Thursday is the main event this week !

As long as I get snow, I won't put anyone in the naughty corner for telling me different!

All jokes aside, very interesting week coming up! Tuesday could be a taster before main event on Thursday like you say, although I wouldn't be too surprised if some surprises happened on Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, kold weather said:

06z GFSP is a little south with the southern boundary of the snowfall again, due to a more elongated LP than the 06z OP.

Looks to me like the whole thing is further North, FWIW i don't think it will verify though.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Please no more Meto warnings in here. Just Model discussion.

If anyone wants to open a thread up for snow chances this week to follow/discuss the event then that's no problem, Also Meto posts would be allowed in there. 

Regards.

Hopefully take some of the workload off you...

Posted
13 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Hi TEITS not strictly correct there for Thursday 

E/SE will be *more* favoured than North midlands due to the energy moving East along the front - its not a ' normal ' scenario

Once you get energy travelling east you get More energy along the whole front plus the warm air advection gets pushed east as well-

The GFS with its circular Northward bias pushes everything north where as the high Res ICON moves it East-

If we refer to history- Just like the channel lows - ( & indeed the fax chart ) The North snowline from the GFs looks WAY north out of kilter ....

ICON has the largest totals towards the west, not the east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Is it true that the deeper the LP the more northerly track it takes? Not sure this even applies in this instance but I thought I'd read that somewhere.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

GFS keeps us on the cold side, With Easterly attempts into the run and -11 uppers touching the S/E.. All for fun at this range but signals are there.

2097298197_viewimage(20).thumb.png.933b24facf44c862045ef83d44c16a7c.png2038816083_viewimage(19).thumb.png.2b561eb25e7df725402c7a80a839b141.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

The Welsh Eastern coast

Saw that NWNI. Thought it might refer to New South Wales. Which probably doesn't have an east coast, either?:crazy:

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Looks to me like the whole thing is further North, FWIW i don't think it will verify though.

Yes it does as the whole thing orientates N-S in the end so the front would go way north with that set-up.

HOWEVER, that is mega unlikely right now and it has only 3-4 ensemble members out of all the ECM and GFS ensembles (that's 70 different members!)

Also worth noting the GFS has the southern boundary very far south. Its a great run for most parts of the country I have to say.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted

The reason for the eps ens mean looking flat out west is the binary clusters of ridging/troughing - the week 2 outlook depends on whether you expect things to amplify or stay flat ............caution that the ec46 week 3 later could suffer from this smoothing out on the mean/anoms and look a bit meh ......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Where will the heavy snow in the se warning come from, in that case, as there'll be none on that front, the way it's currently modelled. I wish I could see what the warning is based on, cause they wouldn't bother with a snow warning, for that front down here. Unless it is stronger. Ice warning on it's own perhaps.

The warning is for 1 to 3 cms .... that’s not heavy .......

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting GFS ensembles as well this morning for Thursday.

So the basic pattern is more or less locked down, still a few outliers but the general idea is there. For the Midlands/Wales this looks an absolute lock to me. For places north and south of there things get much more uncertain.

Basically there is disagreement about exactly the distribution of secondary lows and the shape of the main low. These small changes are making a big difference over our islands as to where the snowfall ends up being. ECM ensembles are likewise showing similar uncertainties. (for example, my location has anything from 0cms to 20cms on the ECM ensembles).

I'd not like to try and forecast the northern and southern boundaries for the snowfall as it really depends on the shape of the low and how far north it ends up forcing the front.

The more W-E is better for the south, the more N-S angle is better for the north and Scotland.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

The warning is for 1 to 3 cms .... that’s not heavy .......

Heavy is the PPN rate - you can have 10 mins of very heavy snow causing 3cms - sorry to be a pedant!  

Thanks for the EPS update meanwhile, could be one of those situations where after the 12z eps, we could bin the 46 dayer as the 12z eps suite might change, however, if the 46 dayer still finds a way to mean blocking given what you say, that would actually increase my confidence to back over 50% wrt proper deep cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1