Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Still expect where I am in London to see snow

I wouldn't. Need further corrections south to see something substantial at that latitude. Perhaps transient snow/rain looks like the present order. Still plenty of time for the models to show something different between now and then though.

Posted
Just now, MP-R said:

I wouldn't. Need further corrections south to see something substantial at that latitude. Perhaps transient snow/rain looks like the present order. Still plenty of time for the models to show something different between now and then though.

Gathering from the fax chart, certainly looks likely... Also, I suspect this low true path will be slight south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme will do

Think some of the posters on here need to get real. There is nothing like cold enough temperatures in place for any real or lasting snow event. Its getting on for 3 degrees at 80m in  south Cumbria at the moment and no chance of snow below 750m in the foreseeable future. get off the happy pills and give yourselves a break- its not going to happen for most!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Yes I think plenty of surprises coming up. Forget not how on normal rainy charts, you can wake up seeing no rain forecast (or plenty) and go to bed having seen plenty (or none)! 

Another little twist I see - the normally generous HIRLAM sees Tuesday's event as a predominantly midlands one. Hmmm

Yes HIRLAM doesn't have snow for the south on the front, certainly interesting!

However I suspect the front would turn to snow very rapidly from the point onwards that the HIRLAM leaves us at. I think the reason is it develops a new LP which does make a difference I feel.

Still, worth a watch just in case.

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Thexton said:

Think some of the posters on here need to get real. There is nothing like cold enough temperatures in place for any real or lasting snow event. Its getting on for 3 degrees at 80m in  south Cumbria at the moment and no chance of snow below 750m in the foreseeable future. get off the happy pills and give yourselves a break- its not going to happen for most!

Well.. Looks like MOST will be seeing a surprise then, because I can see quite a few places seeing snow.

Don't be a Doobie Downer

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

ECM says one thing at 10 days....MetO says another in their updated text. Intriguing...…………...

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Pub run T144:

image.thumb.jpg.ea9d101b5dfd40bd2fb8439368bc66a7.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.7bb0646df8df4bc176ff24864498cdbc.jpg

Uppers a bit warm but you can see the pattern,  get the northern blocking in first and the cold will come, then get the cold in first and the snow will come,  And plenty of winter left to enjoy!  All good on planet Poole!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Im down in Woking on Thursday night, in uncharted territory south of the M4, looks like i might be travelling back into a winter wonderland on Friday

ICON snow cover for Thursday 

image.thumb.png.ec952b09ee3a05ea5f72a4bab03ef303.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Gathering from the fax chart, certainly looks likely... Also, I suspect this low true path will be slight south

Just keeping expectations low lol. The M4 is rearing its head yet again so I guess the further north in the London area the better. It's fascinating to watch but only really an enjoyable experience if something delivers in the end. 

These setups tend to correct south with time with a more sluggish Atlantic, and vice versa when not so all to play for still methinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

From a uk POV,this week is prime time for some good dumpings of snow because whilst we are north of the PJF then we stay on the cool/cold side and any moisture layden systems that come into these cold uppers will provide some fun and games,not to mention troughs into the flow too of which can pop up at short times

here is my prep for this week

1,camera fully charged✅

2,car full of fuel✅

3,snow shovel✅

4,prozac✅

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Just keeping expectations low lol. The M4 is rearing its head yet again so I guess the further north in the London area the better. It's fascinating to watch but only really an enjoyable experience if something delivers in the end. 

These setups tend to correct south with time with a more sluggish Atlantic, and vice versa when not so all to play for still methinks.

I am not in central London, I am in Wembley - So outskirts,

Most people expect it to correct south, I'd expect that to be honest - Historically speaking 9/10 a low likes to go south

• Like 1

Posted

Perhaps an apt time to create a short-term snow prospect thread - alas my earlier post not to clog up this thread with speculation about snow and depths and position has gone unheard.

The short - term snow prospect thread could then be used to discuss models with respect to whether they are showing snow for said region..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looking at the ICON charts for Tuesday.

850hPa plot looks very borderline for SE areas but probably on the right side of marginal for more northern and western areas. 

image.thumb.png.370910e350fd7aba94d81c7e2ae9c1b2.png

2m Dewpoints reveal a similar picture. Not good for the southern and eastern areas but better for northern and western areas. Dew points do look to drop ahead of the front though, particularly for SE areas.

image.thumb.png.ea5e5760d7720be4381dfb3e881e518d.png

Nothing particularly different in regards to 2m temperature either

image.thumb.png.7e9980410d451080ae47c97a1531642c.png

Perhaps snow for northern and western areas. Rain to sleet and maybe snow to finish of for the south and east. Not expecting much out of this anywhere away from high ground. (>150m)

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Liking the mid range again on the GFS, desire to throw up a ridge via vertical WAA - a bit early IMO but id rather see that than a flat jet straight through the country.

image.thumb.png.93b39527f3c293863a543358f5581200.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme will do
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Oh well, that settles it then. It's not like weather conditions can change or that we have colder air spreading south over the next few days. The snow risks showing on various computer models must be a figment of our imagination.

Well we'll see and no one more than i would like to see you all right, but at at the moment there is nothing like enough embedded cold for a decent snow event without altitude. Of course ... this may just be the start of greater things but the way ALL models have been modelling synoptics beyond around 120hrs no one can reliably say at present.  It is good model watching though!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Looking at the ICON charts for Tuesday.

850hPa plot looks very borderline for SE areas but probably on the right side of marginal for more northern and western areas. 

image.thumb.png.370910e350fd7aba94d81c7e2ae9c1b2.png

2m Dewpoints tell a similar picture. Not good for the southern and eastern areas but better for northern and western areas. Dew points do look to drop ahead of the front though, particularly for SE areas.

image.thumb.png.ea5e5760d7720be4381dfb3e881e518d.png

Nothing particularly different in regards to 2m temperature either

image.thumb.png.7e9980410d451080ae47c97a1531642c.png

Perhaps snow for northern and western areas. Rain to sleet and maybe snow to finish of for the south and east. Not expecting much out of this anywhere away from high ground. (>150m)

The front wouldn't reach south eastern areas for several more hours, by which time dew points and temperatures would be lower.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Pub run T192:  

image.thumb.jpg.a9d62bcd5c15be91eb71a346978b6220.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.4bd2ea9142de6cc1cf7a9af99df0aca8.jpg

Great synoptic pattern, push into Greenland, go GFS go!  Yes uppers not cold enough - yet - but look at those whites upstream!

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

The front wouldn't reach south eastern areas for several more hours, by which time dew points and temperatures would be lower.

Nope. Dew points will go up as the band moves SE-wards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

LOL at that Canadian vortex, still throwing too much energy into the Atlantic ..

Yes - worst thing is its still throwing energy into the Atlantic when it doesn't even exist!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
9 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Oh well, that settles it then. It's not like weather conditions can change or that we have colder air spreading south over the next few days. The snow risks showing on various computer models must be a figment of our imagination.

Well said, comments like that are the reason I stopped reading the other forum site, I fail to see what the current temperature in any location as got to do with a snow risk in a few days, 

• Like 7