Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

7 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

No more posts on guessing snow depths. I have hidden those already posted.

A mention in general of snow chances in relation to a chart is fine but a competition on guessing snow depths by region in here would send the thread way off topic. 

Please use your regional threads for more in depth chat on snow chances. 

Cheers all. 

Sadly no matter how much you tell people to keep it related they never do it.  Very much like my six year old lol hence my earlier post.  This forum would be so much better if they did what you mods asked them to

keep up the good work dude

• Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

That seems very unlikely - but the north of England and Scotland stay under the coldest part of the troughing and will definitely pick up snowfalls from time to time , especially where an onshore flow exists or convergence zones establish plus troughs which aren’t currently picked up. I would much prefer to be where you are than in the  Home Counties  as far as snowfall is concerned. 

Ill settle for that as long as the weather does something sick of dull damp cool weather. 

Posted

The other thing to watch for is the timing of the system/ It is the wrong side of marginal for the south, but if it was to be delayed then that could help to drag more of us into the equation.

Feels like we are getting close to consensus on Thursday's system as well, but with the proviso that there is still time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
2 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Red is to orange by more than a factor of two in terms of the 3hr/mm precipitation rates. You sit more in the green - light orange zone and in this scenario would dump 5-6mm or rain or perhaps 6cm of snow every 3 hours. That's not bad.

Trust me it's not rain! 

gfs-2-96.png

Edited by snowice
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

The icon isn't showing accumulating snow for the south on Thursday or much falling snow, snow confined in heaviest bursts but preceeded by rain and on the back edge rain. 

Metociel isn't a good source in determining precipitation type as the graphic overlays are lacking. 

I think realistically if there is a correction south then I'd expect a line somewhere around St Albans to Bristol northwards for lying snow, a wintry mixture further south for places like London. 

_20190127_215733.JPG

_20190127_215719.JPG

That's right.

Gfs 18 z has it as rain thursday a line south of bristol to north london.

image.thumb.png.8d528debf46fdf8db4a76c93368f5edd.png

Perhaps even further north going by the next frame 

image.thumb.png.ac25d5065ac9501343c06b44fce907c6.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
Just now, Updated_Weather said:

MetO fax chart definatly catches my eye

Dx8zA1XXgAg48z0.jpg

Not best at fax charts but that looks excellent 

• Like 3

Posted

The 18z ironically pushes snow cover further north than the 12z no lying snow for the far South 

uksnowdepth.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

Nice little feature for the southerners who don't get anything on Thursday on Saturday morning.

Anyway things are looking good for the Midlands in particular! We will almost certainly need an amber warning at least.

Still expect where I am in London to see snow

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

GFS brings some more outbreaks of snow/snow showers across England and Wales on Wednesday. Could see some small surprises outside of the main snow risks this week.

gfs3.gif

Yes I think plenty of surprises coming up. Forget not how on normal rainy charts, you can wake up seeing no rain forecast (or plenty) and go to bed having seen plenty (or none)! 

Another little twist I see - the normally generous HIRLAM sees Tuesday's event as a predominantly midlands one. Hmmm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

That seems very unlikely - but the north of England and Scotland stay under the coldest part of the troughing and will definitely pick up snowfalls from time to time , especially where an onshore flow exists or convergence zones establish plus troughs which aren’t currently picked up. I would much prefer to be where you are than in the  Home Counties  as far as snowfall is concerned. 

Up here any corrections aren’t usually south but equally south or north. Bitter experience on that one. Given that the latest runs are pushing them north my major concern is it moving that way at the moment (though Scots will be feeling differently!) The Tuesday feature is doing the same on the ICON but that is narrowing it down gradually given its proximity.

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

Yes I think plenty of surprises coming up. Forget not how on normal rainy charts, you can wake up seeing no rain forecast (or plenty) and go to bed having seen plenty (or none)! 

Another little twist I see - the normally generous HIRLAM sees Tuesday's event as a predominantly midlands one. Hmmm

Does it go far enough ?.