Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

ECM v GFS at day 7

image.thumb.png.c430fb3219197862c2e0d573b10db463.png  image.thumb.png.99bc900e6ed25f659be844b2719daad8.png

Safe to say, much to be resolved! FI is probably 72 at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
1 hour ago, TEITS said:

I am beginning to think I might of been wrong this morning with the medium range.

Compare 12Z GFS with a couple of days ago for the 4th Feb.

gfs-0-192.png?12gfs-0-240.png?12

Are we about to see a change within the reliable timeframe of a continuation of the cold? May I dare to suggest the fabled Greenland High may even develop?

At the moment im clueless with regards to snowfall this week and clueless what happens afterwards.

Have seen a lot of seagulls today @TEITS maybe a sign

the models certainly hinting at it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Looking forward to seeing EC precip charts if anyone who has access can post them please

T144 worry would be the dew points but there is a decent precip signal for East Anglia and South East

503EF8B6-F4D5-4DF6-BFBE-4C0E03B992AE.thumb.png.001f150a3a6906b6eb6eb054558c5d33.pngED7A08B5-9E6D-44BF-9F60-2B9C7D1D41B8.thumb.png.d2140a33af4c3a7f28d97f7321139a43.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

No one is saying it is, it is chart that unlocks the door to a potentially protracted spell with easterly or northeasterly winds that is all.  That by itself is enough!  

I wish people would think before posting such nonsense.

If you look back, somebody claimed it to be. Silly one liners. At least you waited for the 144 chart.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, snowbob said:

Have seen a lot of seagulls today @TEITS maybe a sign

the models certainly hinting at it

Indeed. And the grebes are all facing southwest. I think that's a twofer!:cold:

• Like 2

Hmm, the cold just about hanging on in the east at t+192. Not a million miles away from something much better though, looking at the overall profile.

ECH1-168.GIF?27-0

1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed. And the grebes are all facing southwest. I think that's a twofer!:cold:

Our local cows are wearing ushanka's. Not sure what that means 

Edited by Liima

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
11 minutes ago, snowice said:

Should be loads of ppn Lake effect snow, raw east wind low uppers for the east coast . 

only if the lakes havent frozen over.  Once they do that during the winter the lake effect snow is cut off.  They usually get lake effect snow earlier in their winters rather than later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
1 minute ago, snow freak said:

only if the lakes havent frozen over.  Once they do that during the winter the lake effect snow is cut off.  They usually get lake effect snow earlier in their winters rather than later on.

It happens alot over the North Sea. 

• Like 1

Posted

ECM has snow as far north as South West Scotland from Thursday's low, before it fizzles out. More of a wintry mix for Southern England.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

EC looks a bit of a holding position in fi.coldish air about but not much movement

Nhp not to bad but subject to change I guess 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

We don’t like seeing outliers when the ops show a freeze but I think we’ll take the op being such an outlier towards the end on the GEFS 12z . A lot of scatter from day 10 onwards . 

19143A19-2CF5-4077-93E5-B140BEDAC20B.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, E17boy said:

That may be a trend but I think at this moment of time I would not take anything beyond day 4 or 5 seriously. Look at how much chopping and changing there has been in the last few days. Who knows tomorrow may be another story for the extended period

But the trend is your friend!

Posted
12 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ECM has snow as far north as South West Scotland from Thursday's low, before it fizzles out. More of a wintry mix for Southern England.

And a cover for midlands and wales!!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, E17boy said:

That may be a trend but I think at this moment of time I would not take anything beyond day 4 or 5 seriously. Look at how much chopping and changing there has been in the last few days. Who knows tomorrow may be another story for the extended period

I think the cold will stay another day, E17.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Pretty good ECM I think and by Friday winds turn easterly The uppers aren't anything to write home about but when we get air from the continent we can get away with them being a bit higher.

I wouldn't analyse the long range output too much as I previously mentioned what happens this week has a knock on effect.

Would be nice to see a link up with the Siberian / Eurasian high as even by their standards it's notably cold over there. We could do with that cold marching eastwards.

Overall I think we are entering one of those setups where any mild air keeps getting pushed back, just wish the low on Tuesday would go a bit further north! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, The BEAST From The East said:

A friend of a friend who's a friend of a weatherman who I'm not allowed to say his name said mild weather is on the way and the secret super computer is showing this clearly now.

A friend of a friend of a friend or just a friend of a friend ......I think it matters! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I think the 13 laughing emojis sums up your post ........can you pleas point me towards those models which are firming up on mild to very mild post day 10 ???

Well the last 3 ecm det runs (day 9/10) have shown progressive heights nearer our south or south west coupled with GFS runs but further into FI (consistently)...aren't the issues over the next few days micro details in regards to the Hemispheric pattern?

Posted

Euro 4 precipitation chart at T54 looks like it might be preparing for a South coast blizzard (or flood?!) in the 6 hours after. Very intense rain very close by, much much closer than ECM

https://weather.us/model-charts/gbr-hd/england/precipitation-6h/20190129-1800z.html

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4